Comic Books

teako170

Didn’t find a thread exclusive to the topic so starting this one. The recent GH or Shaw thread made me think of another which is the old Marvel or DC debate. Always been a big Marvel guy and owned many Silver Age over the years. While I’ve sold off most, I’ve been rekindling my interest by collecting a specific theme which is cross-over covers. I know there have been several collectors here in the past. Perhaps we can share photos of our collections. Here’s a few recent pickups for my X-over cover theme. 

0EF6338B-DAE7-4B96-8EFF-2C7F331F9E6D.jpeg

57816369-C8AF-46F5-88FD-135A38811077.jpeg

F022811A-CDF2-41C8-B4F4-531BF9873FB6.jpeg

• Like 10

ShaolinMapache

There are some great kung fu adjacent comics as well like Shang-Chi Master of Kung Fu. That's what got me into comics was checking that one! I'm a big DC fan myself. Green Lantern is my favorite. My favorite series is the Sinestro spinoff. 

Sinestro.jpg

• Like 7

@teako170 Dc vs Marvel and crossover comics? I had to buy the 4 issue Dc vs Marvel miniseries a couple of years ago after I heard about it. Think I own a copy of the Dark Claw (Batman combined with Wolverine) from the Amalgam Universe as well.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Another two recent pick ups. Granted the FF #36 isn’t an actual x-over issue but an important book to me because it came out the month/year I was born (March '65).  Another reason I like this one (3rd time I’ve owned it) is this seemed like when the FF started to really take off, which continued through the 60's with many incredible story lines. Sure, there were some good issues prior to #36, but with this issue the art and tales started to gel making it truly the world's greatest comic magazine. While I've wondered what Medusa's hair is holding onto, I am even more curious as to how Ben is "outside" the window. 

Iron Man & Submariner (one shot). This was my white whale over the last 20 years. I lost out on numerous auctions on this book and finally found a decent copy on a BIN, so I pulled the trigger. Right after i paid, I noticed the art missing on some of the bricks IM is smashing (possible tape snag/pull?) but I wasn't going to let it ruin my small victory.

F3803552-40C6-4A2F-81ED-0EDEE2607EC5.jpeg

• Like 6

I need to find my collection of Comics and post some pics.

Spoiler

shhh , I currently have an app on my phone/tablet which gives me access to read just about any comic/manga, I rarely use it.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, SMK said:

I need to find my collection of Comics and post some pics.

Reveal hidden contents

shhh , I currently have an app on my phone/tablet which gives me access to read just about any comic/manga, I rarely use it.

Post away Ray. Love to see them. Here’s my only 9.8 graded. I have mixed emotions with these professional grading companies, but I did want to own at least one 9.8. Chose this epic Stephen Platt x-over cover. 

23AEC565-0DCB-48FB-938C-7C08A4F57E8E.jpeg

• Like 5

@teako170 Great book! My most valuable book would be my Aquaman #1. Hesitant to get it graded because then I wont be able to read it and it wont fit in a comic box anymore.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Koravec said:

@teako170 Great book! My most valuable book would be my Aquaman #1. Hesitant to get it graded because then I wont be able to read it and it wont fit in a comic box anymore.

Had plans to get a bunch graded but then CBCS ripped my signed Silver Surfer #4 and claimed it occurred in shipping. Now I’m very wary. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Drunken Monk

I don’t have a huge a out of truly vintage comics, but my mum recently shipped me my comic book collection. It consists of stuff from the 80’s and 90’s. Including the first appearance of Spider-Man‘s black costume...

74A938FE-14E5-474D-A363-25B687A0A517.png

2742BEE1-0A8D-420C-A6E3-3AABD6273734.png

112F0587-607C-4676-8F8A-E2C4D6E835C9.png

02EDD1C9-3D6D-4082-9451-ACC1C7DD9DA0.png

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I don’t have a huge a out of truly vintage comics, but my mum recently shipped me my comic book collection. It consists of stuff from the 80’s and 90’s. Including the first appearance of Spider-Man‘s black costume...

Was recently reading some of the Secret Wars actually. #8 is a great issue to have.

• Like 4

On May 9, 2020 at 6:22 PM, teako170 said:

Had plans to get a bunch graded but then CBCS ripped my signed Silver Surfer #4. 

Believe I have a tattered Silver Surfer #2. Silver Surf 1 or 1st appearance in Fantastic Four were a couple wanted grails for me forsure.

• Like 3

Just grabbed a low-grade SS #1. Owned one years ago when prices were much more affordable, and was glad to finally get another.  Have to post a pic of that. I’ve had the same copies of FF #48-50 since the ‘90s. #48 in particular has really appreciated in the last few years. 

B1C7DEBE-97B9-4A60-85D4-EBD25D7DD69A.jpeg

• Like 5

Just got "Ravage 2099 #1(1992)" in the mail today. I've always been more of a DC guy over Marvel, but "Ravage" has always been one of my favorite characters. This is the first step of my goal of getting the entire series(Which I think ran for 33 issues). I was hoping that Marvel would eventually release the whole series in an omnibus, but that doesn't seem like its ever going to happen. 

• Like 3

I went to an indoor Flea market today and found eight more issues of Ravage 2099! I now have issues 1-10(except for #7, which they didn't have). I'm close to half-way now with my goal of getting the whole series. 

• Like 3

Been a while since I last posted but have continued to pick up books over the last year. I was very tempted in grabbing a Batman 9 (yes, Golden Age) but too many defects for the price. Anyway, here's a few slabbed books I've secured of late.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 5

For those interested in a more martial arts related comic there is now a new Iron Fist taking over for Danny Rand. Five issues I think so far, not bad. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Dang, I forgot all about this thread. lol Here is one of my favorite books that I think you’ll be interested in seeing @teako170

A2760CF1-1621-4983-828F-9454AE818599.jpeg

Yeah love that issue. Walt posted original art for it on FB some years back. I bought my copy back in '82, which was sitting in a Mylar up until last year, when I started re-bagging books and discovered this "trifecta of sigs" on the fist page.

136201105_1602661283259987_7067679528347046882_n.jpg.c427f9f8d3c11f7e6b1e5014f6179b84.jpg

Edited by teako170
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, teako170 said:

Yeah love that issue. Walt posted original art for it on FB some years back. I bought my copy back in '82, which was sitting in a Mylar up until last year, when I started re-bagging books and discovered this "trifecta of sigs" on the fist page.

136201105_1602661283259987_7067679528347046882_n.jpg.c427f9f8d3c11f7e6b1e5014f6179b84.jpg

That is awesome! 

• Like 3

Nice. I have a bunch that have been sitting around forever. I should dig them out and see what shape they are in. I'll post any decent ones :thumbsup I used to have all the Star Wars, from #1 to almost 100, then it got a bit boring. Also some X-men, issues in the early 100's The 1st Alpha Force issue. The Secret Wars 12 issue limited series (1st one) were really great. I hope they do it justice if they really ever film it.

• Like 2