RZA’s 36 Chambers Cinema - Online Movie Screenings

SMK

defangthewolf

in order to acquire these remastered versions of shaolin vs wutang and mystery of chessboxing for bluray releases, apart from liaising with dan himself who would the distributors need to talk to? the production companies for those 2 films have been extinct for donkey years

• Like 1

thundered mantis

damn, it´s tempting for me wait for the last screening without commentary and get a bit more sleep

But I´m also afraid to let the first one slip and lose somehow the second. lol. When does the movie screening begin? 9:15 edt?

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 1

ShaolinMapache

I really do hope that these make it to blu ray at some point. I am worried they will be lost to time. So much work is put into digitizing them but I guess it does make sense financially to have the streams be limited. More tickets are sold. You could also sell blu rays though. VCI may release them through the pearl river collection, just a thought since Dan is behind that series. I think Pearl River and these with RZA are totally different entities and chances are we will probably just get these chances to view the movies live streamed, which is far better than never seeing them at all.  

• Like 2

thundered mantis

The film looked great, the commentary seemed quite inuntrusive to me, so OK (had to struggle to understand parts of it, as my english listening abilities could use some improving). The final fight seemed more blurried to me, maybe I was struggling to keep awake by then). Couldn´t find the chat option here in forum :yociexpress09:

I will be supporting the RZA screenings, pity I lost Shaolin vs Wutang

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 3

Kind of hit and miss with this latest screening. The transfer though... my god! Once you see these movies in their full glory you start to realize how much you've missed all those years. 

Commentary was pretty weak this time around IMHO. I actually stayed up for the second screening and it was well worth it. I had pretty annoying quality drops during the live-event. Anyone else? 

Nevertheless I'll gladly support any future screenings, well worth the money in my book. BTW does anybody know what title they were hinting at? Female lead, eastern version of "Taken". 

• Like 3

ShaolinMapache

I also noticed quality drops. It looked much much better than the Jamal custom that's been passed around among collectors. Commentary had a lot of dead spaces. I enjoyed what they had to say as always though. 
The next one is Petey Wheatstraw. I have never seen it. It has a bit of kung fu in it but it's very different from what has been shown so far. Rudy Ray Moore movies are usually really fun.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 11:16 PM, thundered mantis said:

if it´s a modern day, could it be Furie?

I thought maybe some early 80's / 90's action movie. At least the RZA seems to already have an idea :coveredlaugh

On 6/14/2020 at 2:17 AM, ShaolinMapache said:

I also noticed quality drops. It looked much much better than the Jamal custom that's been passed around among collectors. Commentary had a lot of dead spaces. I enjoyed what they had to say as always though. 
The next one is Petey Wheatstraw. I have never seen it. It has a bit of kung fu in it but it's very different from what has been shown so far. Rudy Ray Moore movies are usually really fun.

Interesting that you also experienced quality drops. It was funny that at one time you could clearly see the stream was running on vimeo. Since I'm watching from overseas there might the some bandwidth restrictions, although that's just guessing (much like YouTube did... not sure if they still do). Also I didn't have these issues with their last two screenings.

In terms of quality of the print I'll let these screencaps do the talking :wink

vlcsnap-2020-06-14-23h09m50s464.png

vlcsnap-2020-06-14-23h10m07s701.png

vlcsnap-2020-06-14-23h10m42s505.png

Edited by laagi
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Will they play an encore?

I thought the second screening right after the first one was the encore? But I could be mistaken. No official announcement as of yet. But I would assume that since they already move forward with a new film this friday there won't be an encore.

• Angry 1

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, laagi said:

I thought the second screening right after the first one was the encore? But I could be mistaken. No official announcement as of yet. But I would assume that since they already move forward with a new film this friday there won't be an encore.

screw that then..lol

im not used to staying up late for films or boxing being in the UK..since the damn lockdown. 

monsterzero

https://ondemand.drafthouse.com/film/the-mystery-of-chessboxing-with-rza-commentary/

Available to rent. Note that the film without commentary is included under the bonus features.

I've really enjoyed this series, but not for the reasons I thought I would. I expected a proper commentary with only the occasional silences, not ten minute stretches where no one says a word. But during Shogun Assassin it clicked with me; it's less a commentary than it is just hanging with some friends and watching a movie, something that's just not possible for many of us at the moment.

• Like 4

ShaolinMapache

Is the first one they streamed Shaolin vs. Wu Tang on VOD anywhere? That had awesome commentary. 

• Like 1

defangthewolf

has the list of film prints discovered in that abandoned movie theatre by dan ever been published in full or partially? i've googled it, nothing

• Like 2

defangthewolf

encore double feature mystery of chess boxing and shaolin vs wutang for the price of one this friday

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
On 8/24/2020 at 5:40 PM, Drunken Monk said:

CB469F47-58EA-4E2F-8C6F-07C3E51FA779.jpeg

Interesting as this is one of my fave films from the trio and the lucky stars gang..

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

Anyone having trouble loggin into their account? I don't want to have to create another one. I wanna see Lucky stars and Sword of Doom.  Also I have paid for 3 of the streaming events and I didn't get a discount code when I did the survey? 

• Like 1

My Lucky Stars commtary would'ev been better if Big Mike was involved with the commentary with  Scott Adkins.  Tech issues were a problem when t was freezing at some parts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Little Deer said:

Take My Money!!!  I knew I didn't have to finish my Shaolin vs Lama custom project.  So excited for this one.

https://36cinema.com/programs/live-shoalin-vs-lama

A may actually give in and get tickets for this one. I've considered all the previous movies but didn't pull the trigger on tickets. The trailer implies a beautiful print.

These need a Blu Ray release!

• Like 3