RZA’s 36 Chambers Cinema - Online Movie Screenings

SMK

This Friday, May 8th at 9:15pm EST, we will be live streaming "Shaolin vs Wu Tang" on 36cinema.com. RZA—acclaimed rapper, producer, director and co-founder of 36 Chambers—and Dan Halsted—head programmer at the Hollywood Theatre—will provide live commentary during the film. Their collective knowledge and personal stories related to "Shaolin vs Wu Tang" will give viewers a deeper appreciation for the movies we love.

Doors open at 8:30pm EST with the movie starting at 9:15pm EST. Customers will receive a link to the live stream 45 minutes prior to showtime. Shaolin vs Wu Tang has a runtime of 90 minutes.
Viewers will also be able to ask the moderators questions during the screening. Mustafa Shaikh—co-founder of 36 Chambers—will be moderating the screening. 

A digitally restored print of the film will be shown!!!
Ticket Price $10!
Who's attending/viewing the live stream?

https://cinema.36chambers.com/

• Like 8

Is it just me or would this work better without the commentary. I mean it's great to get some insight etc. but I kind of just wanna watch the movie :laugh

• Like 4

megadurilicus
7 minutes ago, laagi said:

Is it just me or would this work better without the commentary. I mean it's great to get some insight etc. but I kind of just wanna watch the movie :laugh

I was thinking the same since I haven't seen it yet.  Sounds like it'll be interesting and worth it, so i'll be watching.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, megadurilicus said:

I was thinking the same since I haven't seen it yet.  Sounds like it'll be interesting and worth it, so i'll be watching.  

Still have to check if this is for US only... Got my ticket! This was the movie which started it all for me. I'm super excited about this.

Edit: 3:15am in Europe, it's gonna get late :laugh

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

I'd love if this was released on blu ray, especially as it's been remastered from a 35mm print.

I've fond memories watching this late one Friday night with my late Grandad who also loved Kung Fu movies and was partly responsible for me getting into the genre.

I had bought the Eastern Heroes VHS which was fullscreen and subbed (later I bought the 'subbed & dubbed' EH VHS which we both watched).  The print wasn't great and you couldn't read all the subs but both of us absolutely loved it, so much so that we watched it again the following day on the Saturday night.

I've got a custom that was done using the French disc  (I think) but the print is so dark! Fingers crossed that as it has already been remastered from a 35mm print that we may see it get a blu ray release.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I'm not really a fan of RZA as a person (love his music) but this seems too good to miss. I really hope this results in a Blu Ray release at some point.

• Like 2

Just bought my ticket. It says we can ask questions during the event. I already asked Dan if this version of the movie will get released on blu-ray at some point.

Do any of you have a question for Dan or RZA?

• Like 5

venom10463
10 hours ago, laagi said:

Hopefully there'll be an option to switch audio. I've seen this movie a number of times, so hearing the commentary will be interesting. I just hope RZA doesn't talk too much and let the other guys who seems more knowledgeable on kung fu cinema speak more.

• Like 4

Pretty basic question but is it $10 per viewer... :laugh I mean normally the price is for one admission but since this is a live stream!?

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

10 bucks to hear mr. mumbles refer to Lau Kar Leung as Lee Chi Lang..... I don't think so.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

SkemeRichards

Have seen the movie a million times and will definitely be tuning in on Friday. Always love when there's good commentary accompanying a film

• Like 4

ShaolinMapache

I love this movie a lot and the only version I've seen of it is a bad pan and scan from a xenon/arena dvd. I'm down for commentary and really would love to hear what both of them have to say about the movie. I know Dan's print of The Leg Fighters just got a blu ray release so I'm hopeful this will too!

• Like 5

OpiumKungFuCracker

I think the commentary is gonna be more about the group's origin. Best rap group of all time imo.  Anyone seen that wu tang show on HULU? It's not the worst thing in the world, kinda meh. 

• Like 2

ShaolinMapache
1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I think the commentary is gonna be more about the group's origin. Best rap group of all time imo.  Anyone seen that wu tang show on HULU? It's not the worst thing in the world, kinda meh. 

I really loved that show! I thought it was the best drama I've seen in a while and the faux kung fu scene was very funny and entertaining. The struggle to get the VCR working and trading those kung fu tapes with friends was so relatable. Left on a cliffhanger so I really hope there is another season.  

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
21 minutes ago, ShaolinMapache said:

I really loved that show! I thought it was the best drama I've seen in a while and the faux kung fu scene was very funny and entertaining. The struggle to get the VCR working and trading those kung fu tapes with friends was so relatable. Left on a cliffhanger so I really hope there is another season.  

See I only seen the first two eps and it didn't really draw me in yet. I'm definitely gonna watch the rest now. :BL-OK:

• Like 3

ShaolinMapache
2 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

See I only seen the first two eps and it didn't really draw me in yet. I'm definitely gonna watch the rest now. :BL-OK:

It's a little slow to start and there are a ton of characters to keep up with but once you get into it and remember all their names it's worth. I really think it's some of the best acting I've seen in a long time. Here's the best scene. I wish they'd just make an entire show like this.  

• Like 4

On 5/5/2020 at 2:38 PM, sifu iron perm said:

charging ten bucks?? lol

I don't mind paying $10, as Dan has been a big supporter of 36 STYLES over the years, and has bought a few shirts. Plus, he's the reason the 'Kung Fu Theater' design even exist. It's been years since I've seen this movie, so seeing it again in this restored quality, widescreen with no embedded subtitles, and English dubbed, I'm looking forward to it. :wink

• Like 6

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, SMK said:

I don't mind paying $10, as Dan has been a big supporter of 36 STYLES over the years, and has bought a few shirts. Plus, he's the reason the 'Kung Fu Theater' design even exist. It's been years since I've seen this movie, so seeing it again in this restored quality, widescreen with no embedded subtitles, and English dubbed, I'm looking forward to it. :wink

see you at 4 am GMT Friday Sifu..peace bro

• Like 2

Omni Dragon
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

see you at 4 am GMT Friday Sifu..peace bro

9:15 pm (21:15) EST is 02:15 (am) GMT.  

That is if you take Daylight Saving Time out of the calculation. Which you should if you put EST and GMT. @SMK are you definitely referring to Eastern Standard Time (EST) and not Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)?  @sifu iron perm are you definitely referring to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and not British Summer Time (BST)?

This confusion with time zones is why I feel as though the whole world should use Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) pretty much all the time. This doesn't mean everyone would be a wake at the same time just that the clocks read the same time. I also feel like the 24 hour time system is much less ambiguous than the 12 hour time system (once learned and regularly used).

Edited by Silver and Gold Dragon
  • Like 3