Shaw Brothers vs Golden Harvest - Replay Value!

SMK

Shaw Brothers vs Golden Harvest - Quality over Quantity? Replay Value!  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie studio produced films you watch more often?

• Shaw Brothers
    • Golden Harvest

With the popularity of the Shaw Brothers film studio, it's easy to say that their films are often talked about more, shown more on TV, widely available on multiple streaming platforms, but let's not forget the fact that Golden Harvest had BRUCE LEE! Not just Lee, but Angela, Sammo, Jackie, Jimmy, and a host of others.

The question is not about which studio had more classic films in their library, but which studio produced films that you find yourself watching over and over, higher replay value?

• Like 4

ShawAngela

I voted for the Shaw Brothers' movies, but I'm in my period " rewatching Golden Harvest's movies " these last weeks.

But it's a fact that I rewatched much more Shaws' than Golden Harvest's movies...

• Like 6

It's cool that you can enjoy watching movies from both studios. There are some people out there that exclusively watch Shaw Brothers produced films, they are missing out on so much. 

• Like 4

For me it would be Shaw Brothers.

There are very few GH titles that I would just take an put in the player and watch over and over again. The same would be true when I am channel surfing/watching TV, I end up watching CCM over the other Chinese movie channels. 

However, if a Sammo title or Angela title or a movie like Last Hurrah or Inspector Wear Skirts are on I would stop and watch it as they have high replay value for me. 

• Like 5

GH has lots of great films and some amazing talent. That being said, SB still wins by a mile for me. 

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

I wouldn't wanna choose, nor could I. And if there are people out there who ONLY watches films of just one of the studios, that is very unfortunate and short sighted.

• Like 6

I've seen a ton of Shaw Brothers movies over the years, but I'm pretty sure the films I've seen from other studios collectively, surpasses what I've seen of SB. I admit, there are some films that the fans consider staples of the studio that I have yet to see. 

I dare not list them.  embarrassed in a box GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Tex Killer

Last Hurrah and Broken Oath are only GH films I really love and never get bored. Having said that, there are likely lot great GH flicks I have never seen..limited time and not endurance much these days to watch more than 1 movie/day...and as keep revisiting Shaws regularly no room for new stuff much,.,

• Like 4

I may be biased since growing up I was mostly exposed to GH productions. But yeah, obvious choice for me.

• Like 5

Couldn't possibly choose,but I do think Golden Harvest had better fight choreographers and martial artists(film wise anyways)but saying that I do rewatch more Shaw stuff than Golden Harvest.If you look at Warriors Two.Magnificent Butcher,Young Master,Prodigal Son the choreography is far superior than what Shaw Brothers were doing but I seem to get drawn to the Shaw Brothers more so I guess im choosing Shaw but next week that could change.Now onto Magnificent Butcher or Eight Diagram,oh I don't know.:sweating:sweating:angry

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

JackieRome

if I had to think of a Shaw title that has accompanied me all my life I would have a hard time thinking about it... apart from a few titles, it's not a way of making cinema that has ever won me over. GH has always been constantly evolving and has brought out the talents we still speak of today. 

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 4

Omni Dragon

Proportionally say per 10 movies it's probably Golden Harvest, as I came across GH earlier and it's not always been like this but in recent years I'm more into new wave/neo-bashers than other types of martial art movies. It's hard to say where I actually fall when Shaw Brothers actually made disproportionately more movies and like GH there's a few I've watched more than 3 times, though I'm going to assume (and vote) for me personally it's Golden Harvest.

• Like 5

Graeme Of Death

I got into Golden Harvest films first so I would go with them. Generally better actors and choreography but Shaw Brothers started it all

• Like 6

Drunken Monk

I’m a Golden Harvest man myself. Shaw Brothers have a reserved spot in my heart but I think I prefer Golden Harvest’s varying action styles. Plus, I’ll always give Sammo the slight edge over Lau Kar Leung when it comes to classic martial arts fights I love.

• Like 7

Tex Killer
2 hours ago, SMK said:

Golden Harvest with the majority of the votes, anyone surprised?

Not really. Jackie, Bruce and Samo, GH "had" to win voting.

• Like 5

JackieRome

No, Shaw started it all, but he made archaic, overly crafty, often ridiculous films (save for a few cases) that lacked the most interesting improvements that brought Hong Kong cinema to what we know of. 

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 3

Tex Killer
19 minutes ago, JackieRome said:

No, Shaw started it all, but he made archaic, overly crafty, often ridiculous films (save for a few cases) that lacked the most interesting improvements that brought Hong Kong cinema to what we know of. 

Sort of agree. I enjoy more early seventies flicks than later 70s/early 80s excluding of course obvious stonecold classics made in later day.

Do Project A count as GH film as they just distributed it as far as I know? That is also one I keep resiviting at least 2 times a year.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SMK said:

Golden Harvest with the majority of the votes, anyone surprised?

Off with their heads! Lol. 

139711AD-42CE-4279-9FDE-84DC559B5CA0.png

Edited by teako170
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Omni Dragon
2 hours ago, teako170 said:

Off with their heads! Lol. 

139711AD-42CE-4279-9FDE-84DC559B5CA0.png

Put the flying guillotine down, or we're taking Chu Yuan hostage!

443484957_jccy.png.dd7348bb50f7c6d7ae49d081249af6ac.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Who made the best Kung fu movies.. Shaw brothers.. or golden Harvest.. & who had the best Kung fu movie stars signed or stared in their movies? & also, what’s your favorite movie, from the one you choose? For me personally.. it’s two hard to choose.. both have done absolutely epic movies, in my opinion.. but Shaw brothers have such a bigger catalogue or Kung fu movies. I think for the standard of Kung fu.. golden harvest were better, in the early 70s. 

• Like 3

I see somebody already asked this question.. but I’ll leave it up anyway.. would still be cool to hear people’s views. 

• Like 1

Omni Dragon
On 5/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, Tex Killer said:

Do Project A count as GH film as they just distributed it as far as I know? That is also one I keep resiviting at least 2 times a year.

The production company for Project A was Paragon Films Limited and generally Paragon and Golden Harvest are used interchangeably. Personally I've never come across anything that explains what the real difference or division was?

16 hours ago, Jonny said:

Who made the best Kung fu movies.. Shaw brothers.. or golden Harvest.. & who had the best Kung fu movie stars signed or stared in their movies?

I think 'best' pretty much comes down to personal taste.

To make a generalization I mainly think of SB as the studio of classic swordplay, bashers and shapes and GH of bashers and new wave (not to say GH didn't make shapes etc, but still like I said it was a 'generalization' of how 'I mainly think of' them). I also think of GH as a studio that had the 1990s wire fu/undercranked style stuff though you can see an almost proto-version of this from both studios.

For me personally my overall preference leans towards Golden Harvest, though there was a time when I probably would have said the reverse.

16 hours ago, Jonny said:

& also, what’s your favorite movie, from the one you choose?

I think personally my favourite GH movie is Project A and for SB Crippled Avengers.

• Like 3