Top 10 of KFC that needs a remaster!

laagi

Ninja Sinai
5 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

I'm rooting for the possibility of Legend of a Fighter coming out some day.

Me too!! HKL released this in the wrong aspect ratio back in the day on DVD.. this is one of those movies that DEF needs a remaster and proper release.. rather than companies releasing those horrid Lo Wei early Jackie movies!

Also your work on Secret Rivals looks amazing!

Any thought on also doing any clean up work on Secret Rival II?

• Like 3

thundered mantis
On 5/18/2020 at 1:50 AM, thundered mantis said:

My list would be:

LEGEND OF A FIGHTER

THE VICTIM

BUDDHIST FIST

THE REBELLIOUS REIGN

MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING

CRYSTAL FIST

SUPER POWER

36 CRAZY FISTS

KILLER WEARS WHITE

FEARLESS DRAGONS 

Thought I´d quote myself as many films from my list have surfaced on HD, or they existed in really nice SD prints I wasn´t aware of. So, time to make another one:

LEGEND OF A FIGHTER

THE VICTIM

BUDDHIST FIST

CRYSTAL FIST

SUPER POWER

KILLER WEARS WHITE

MY LIFE´S ON THE LINE

SECRET OF SHAOLIN KUNG FU

BORN INVINCIBLE

WAR OF THE SHAOLIN TEMPLE

• Like 5

My wish list, which unashamedly consists solely of Jackie/Sammo/Yuen titles:

CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG

MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS (in 3-D!)

KILLER METEORS

THE VICTIM

ODD COUPLE

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (uncut!)

DREADNAUGHT

KNOCKABOUT

WARRIORS TWO

THE DEAD AND THE DEADLY

THE PRODIGAL SON

I think we can pretty much all agree though that if THE VICTIM gets a deluxe limited Blu release it’ll sell out instantly 

• Like 5

thundered mantis
22 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

My wish list, which unashamedly consists solely of Jackie/Sammo/Yuen titles:

CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG

MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS (in 3-D!)

KILLER METEORS

THE VICTIM

DREADNAUGHT

KNOCKABOUT

WARRIORS TWO

THE PRODIGAL SON

I think we can pretty much all agree though that if THE VICTIM gets a deluxe limited Blu release it’ll sell out instantly 

ODD COUPLE- there´s a japanese Blu Ray, nice quality they say

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (uncut!)- I think the german blu is uncut and it even got a "long" version that adds some bits from the Asian version to the export version

THE DEAD AND THE DEADLY-Panorama´s HK Blu Ray seems to be real HD

You can bet The Victim would sell great. I´d say both Buddhist Fist and Legend of a Figher also would

Edited by thundered mantis
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

ODD COUPLE- there´s a japanese Blu Ray, nice quality they say

ENTER THE FAT DRAGON (uncut!)- I think the german blu is uncut and it even got a "long" version that adds some bits from the Asian version to the export version

THE DEAD AND THE DEADLY-Panorama´s HK Blu Ray seems to be real HD

You can bet The Victim would sell great. I´d say both Buddhist Fist and Legend of a Figher also would

I have the Japanese BD of OC and the German BD of ETFT, but the former has unwatchably out-of-sync sound and the uncut version on the latter needs the video bits sourced from film if possible (they should have at least left the film-remastered opening credits intact on the uncut version IMO) and it needs to be encoded at 1080p. I’m sorry, I guess I meant well-presented remastered versions, ideally released by Eureka or 88 Films. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 4

thundered mantis

Damn I wasn't aware of those problems. I've ordered the OC Japanese BD recently, it's still on its way. I'll have to tinker with the audio, what a letdown. 

What do you mean by ETFDnot encoded at 1080p? I thought they had used a pristine 35 mm film copy and scanned it at 2k...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

Damn I wasn't aware of those problems. I've ordered the OC Japanese BD recently, it's still on its way. I'll have to tinker with the audio, what a letdown. 

What do you mean by ETFDnot encoded at 1080p? I thought they had used a pristine 35 mm film copy and scanned it at 2k...

They did...and then they encoded the uncut HK theatrical version at 720p, instead of 1080p like the shortened international version. And then, although it was nice of them to go to the trouble to put the Podcast On Fire commentary track on there, the commentary track is for the uncut HK theatrical version, but they slapped it on the shortened international version, so that after you get to where someone lopped out the bus horse race radio broadcast scene, the commentary no longer matches the film. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Seriously, 88 or Eureka, please rescue ETFD and OC!!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 4

Ninja Sinai

In all of these threads.. I would say the top 3 titles which fans unanimously would LOVE to see properly remastered on Blu-Ray would be:

• Legend of a Fighter

• Buddhist Fist

• The Victim

Now the above are available in somewhat descent SD versions.. however the one movie which is only available as a crappy full screen or fake letterboxes is Strife For Mastery.. man I think I would summersault backwards if that ever was released on Blu-Ray! Heck even a descent SD widescreen version id be happy rather than the crappy VHS full screen version. 

• Like 5

Ninja Sinai

Also now that proper prints of Mystery of Chess Boxing and Shaolin vs Lama were found and streamed online.. how long before a company gets hold of them and gives them the proper Blu-Ray treatment?? I mean come on Eureka and 88-Films, these TWO titles are a MUST RELEASE and would be HUUUUGE sellers!!!

• Like 6

thundered mantis

I totally agree with you @Ninja Sinai, I think those three are the most marketable. Strife for mastery I think I have some horrid fullsc copy somewhere, never got to watch it. Will have to...

• Like 4

Ninja Sinai
12 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

I totally agree with you @Ninja Sinai, I think those three are the most marketable. Strife for mastery I think I have some horrid fullsc copy somewhere, never got to watch it. Will have to...

Strife for Mastery is a classic.. def a must watch!! It’s a crime that only a crappy vhs copy seems to be the only copy in existence. 

• Like 2

It's a pity Pearl River are so sporadic with their release schedule as i'm sure they'll likely have good sources for some of these movies.

• Like 3

Firstly great to see the forum is still up and running- Not posted here for a while

Now i have all these on DVD (HKL,Soulblade,Vegenace, other labels,copies, custom etc) but I would be interested to know if there are better versions available

The Victim

Buddhist Fist

Legend of a Fighter

Shaolin Plot (was on HKLs list but never completed)

Showdown At the Cotton Mill

Heroes of the wild aka Heroes of Shaolin

Master Killers

Ring of Death

Shaolin Assassin

Prides Deadly Fury

Lucky 13( glass dvd exists but is mandarin no subs afaik) I don't own this version

Undaunted Wu Dang ( glass dvd exists but is mandarin no subs afaik) I don't own this version

Sword of Justice

The Loot

The Challenger

Snake Deadly Act

Lastly where can the Rebellious reign be purchased?

if anyone is doing custom projects I’d be interested to purchase

Edited by northern b
Reduced text size and typo
  • Like 5

thundered mantis

Hi there my friend! Nice to read you again, hope everything´s fine!

About the movies you mention, I do not know of "new" better versions, save for:

Shaolin Plot, there´s a Blu Ray nordic release in a boxset, it´s an upscale of the print that was put on DVD by Shout Factory. Shout factory is miles better than the Chinese DVD, if memory serves me right.

Heroes of Shaolin, @TheKungFuRobber is working on it, and in the meantime @NoKUNGFUforYU has subbed it. You can contact him regards Rebellious Reign too...

• Like 4

I always wished a decent quality version of Shaolin and Wu Tang was released.. lotta nostalgia with that film

• Like 2

Ninja Sinai
2 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

I always wished a decent quality version of Shaolin and Wu Tang was released.. lotta nostalgia with that film

Well this was also streamed online in a really nice widescreen print.. all we need is a company to pick this up and properly remaster it and release it on Blu-ray along with the nice new prints of Mystery of Chess Boxing and Shaolin vs Lama and Bobs our uncle!

• Like 4

TheKungFuRobber

I'm doing my own project with the HD version of Rebellious Reign because I didn't like the muffled Mandarin audio track with the heavy pop filter on the webrip and instead decided to replace it with an unrestored VHS sourced audio track without any digital fuddruckery, which is loud and nasty as it should be, but please bear with me with regards to it because there's quite a bit of things I would like to set in order as well, and of course I will make a cover for it as well. Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm just one girl behind a computer. As much as I would like it, I don't really have a team other than a few good friends who I help out and help me too and they like me are only human, it might take a while. I know you're all waiting very desperately to see Snake in the Monkey's Shadow, for which I can't blame you, it's a good movie, and I've found a possible chance of getting a translation done. Since it's going to cost a bit to do, I might actually open a Patreon or GoFundMe to help cover it, but the stakes are as good as ever considering I was going to put it out with crappy dubtitles, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get to see the film as close to it's intended format as possible and I sure as hell think that makes the wait worth it.

I'm going to send NoKungFuForYu the timed English audio track as a favour when I've timed it, which will be much sooner of course, which he will add onto his custom in the mean time. Again if you like the film I would certainly suggest you buy it off him cos he's a sound chap and brings us a lot of cool rare stuff, so please support his efforts cos sharing is caring.

Hope you're all having a pleasant day.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Ninja Sinai
11 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

I'm doing my own project with the HD version of Rebellious Reign because I didn't like the muffled Mandarin audio track with the heavy pop filter on the webrip and instead decided to replace it with an unrestored VHS sourced audio track without any digital fuddruckery, which is loud and nasty as it should be, but please bear with me with regards to it because there's quite a bit of things I would like to set in order as well, and of course I will make a cover for it as well. Rome wasn't built in a day and I'm just one girl behind a computer. As much as I would like it, I don't really have a team other than a few good friends who I help out and help me too and they like me are only human, it might take a while. I know you're all waiting very desperately to see Snake in the Monkey's Shadow, for which I can't blame you, it's a good movie, and I've found a possible chance of getting a translation done. Since it's going to cost a bit to do, I might actually open a Patreon or GoFundMe to help cover it, but the stakes are as good as ever considering I was going to put it out with crappy dubtitles, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get to see the film as close to it's intended format as possible and I sure as hell think that makes the wait worth it.

I'm going to send NoKungFuForYu the timed English audio track as a favour when I've timed it, which will be much sooner of course, which he will add onto his custom in the mean time. Again if you like the film I would certainly suggest you buy it off him cos he's a sound chap and brings us a lot of cool rare stuff, so please support his efforts cos sharing is caring.

Hope you're all having a pleasant day.

Dude you are a legend!

I will happily donate towards your amazing work.. Snake In The Monkeys Shadow is one of my ALL time fav movies.. and I LOVE the classic English dub which has sooo many classic lines and which is waaaaay better in my opinion than the new Cantonese track.. apparently I heard the original old Cantonese audio track for Snake In The Monkeys Shadow has been lost?

• Like 5

TheKungFuRobber
3 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

Dude you are a legend!

I will happily donate towards your amazing work.. Snake In The Monkeys Shadow is one of my ALL time fav movies.. and I LOVE the classic English dub which has sooo many classic lines and which is waaaaay better in my opinion than the new Cantonese track.. apparently I heard the original old Cantonese audio track for Snake In The Monkeys Shadow has been lost?

I'm not using the 'new Cantonese track'. This is the original one, the long lost one... The Cantonese track you're talking about is a voiceover on the English dub.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Super Ninja

Count me in, Snake in the Monkey's Shadow is one of my favs as well, I'll be glad to contribute to your custom release. 

• Like 4