Professor Stephen Teo

NoKUNGFUforYU

NoKUNGFUforYU

Here is a link to Stephen Teo, a film historian. According to a friend in Hong Kong, he is probably the most knowledgeable academic regrading HK action cinema and history. He does deep dies into these films beyond trivia, etc and into culture and contrasts them with what is popular in the east and west, and how tastes change.

https://www.academia.edu/20496070/The_martial_arts_film_in_Chinese_cinema_Historicism_and_the_national

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Here is a link to Stephen Teo, a film historian. According to a friend in Hong Kong, he is probably the most knowledgeable academic regrading HK action cinema and history. He does deep dies into these films beyond trivia, etc and into culture and contrasts them with what is popular in the east and west, and how tastes change.

https://www.academia.edu/20496070/The_martial_arts_film_in_Chinese_cinema_Historicism_and_the_national

A 26 minute read! Thank you so much for sharing this. I will have to check this out. I'm always willing to learn. 

illustration learn GIF

NoKUNGFUforYU

He did a great article regarding how the culture in HK changed from pessimism to a hope for the future, which ushered in Sammo, Jackie and Yuen Biao's modern action films versus what Shaw Brothers and others were cranking out. Jackie represented a modern hero who wins as much by luck as skill, unlike say Chang Cheh films of noble, but futile sacrifice.  Both feature buffed lads kicking ass, but the outcomes are much different.

7 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Just register for the free version.

I'm registered and ready to read. 👍🏼

I have two books by Stephen Teo and he is certainly a very erudite and knowledgeable authority on the subject of HK cinema. Unfortunately many of his books are OOP now and command high prices on the used market. If you can find his books for a good price, I heartily recommend him.

NoKUNGFUforYU
32 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I have two books by Stephen Teo and he is certainly a very erudite and knowledgeable authority on the subject of HK cinema. Unfortunately many of his books are OOP now and command high prices on the used market. If you can find his books for a good price, I heartily recommend him.

Yes, it is a shame. I will say that this site contains a lot of his work and it's free. If anyone wants his article on Cathay just PM on here and I will send the PDF. It is from the HK film Archive. Also, if you just want to read about their entire history, including musicals and comedies, I have that as well in the Cathay Story. Basically, the two companies had to different world views, Shaw Brothers presented a China that overseas Chinese wish existed (kind of a badass feudal Japan style history of warriors and rebels as well as erotic fantasies and Bond knockoffs) and Cathay presented a China for the future- Well educated, urbane, multi-lingual and modern. A very good book, you learn more about that part of Asia from it besides the movies, etc.

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

My girlfriend picked up one of his books in a charity shop of all places. It was a pretty beat up looking ex library copy. I've read quite a lot of his PDF articles, but never had th chance to view his other book.

135541.jpg

20 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

My girlfriend picked up one of his books in a charity shop of all places. It was a pretty beat up looking ex library copy. I've read quite a lot of his PDF articles, but never had th chance to view his other book.

135541.jpg

I have that same book along with another one titled The Wuxia Tradition. Bought both used as well.

Archived