John Woo workprints

mark187

So almost everyone here will know about the Taiwanese extended cuts of The Killer and Hard Boiled. And obviously Hard Target workprint. But what about the elusive 3 1/2 hour version of MI2? Anybody heard anything valid about that? Also I heard a rumor that Broken Arrow was heavily cut by the studio which I had never heard. Anybody got any info about this??!!

• Like 4

Random bits from memory:

Broken Arrow was cut for violence by the MPAA, yes.  No sign of an "uncut" version ever leaking, as far as I know.

I'm guessing the 3 hour plus version of MI2 was a "bells and whistles" cut which was probably was never going to see the light of day - but who knows!

The longer. Taiwanese version of A Better Tomorrow 3 is out there on DVD (I have it...somewhere!)

There's talk of the Bullet in The Head theatrical cut elsewhere on the forum.

Woo was only saying in an interview last year that he still wants to go back to Hard Target and release a cleaned up version of the main workprint - I wish he would!

• Like 2

I also didn’t realize that the video release of John Woo’s Once a Thief had material not in the tv version, although I’ve only ever seen it on video. I wish there was further info on Broken Arrow! Also I can confirm that the HK version of Manhunt is a slightly different version than what was shown at Toronto International Film Festival. If anybody else has Woo info to add please do! 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 10:54 AM, Karlos said:

The longer. Taiwanese version of A Better Tomorrow 3 is out there on DVD (I have it...somewhere!)

That's all Tsui Hark's doing, not Woo's.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

ABT 3 rules, just revisted last night. I've never seen the workprint though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DiP said:

That's all Tsui Hark's doing, not Woo's.

You're right.  I always forget and think this is Woo.

According to the Wiki page for ABT3:

The Taiwan version runs 145 minutes long, which is the complete uncut version. The Hong Kong version runs only 114 minutes long despite saying 130 minutes on the cover. On a special 2004 DVD release, there are a few minutes of scenes that were deleted from the Hong Kong version as a separate feature. A Chinese out-of-print DVD dubbed from Taiwan (but actually published in China) runs 130 minutes long, which is the extended version, which is shorter compared to the Taiwanese out-of-print 145-minute VCD. A Taiwan Long Shong VHS dubbed in Taiwan (and distributed from Taiwan) contains an alternate scene where Anita kisses Tony Leung's hand, which is also shorter than the 145-minute Taiwan VCD.

• Like 2

Of course there’s also the director’s cut of Windtalkers. I wonder what the Mainland China release of Manhunt looked like? I guess it’s time to scour the Woo trailers for glimpses of stuff shot that wasn’t in any released version

• Like 2

Cognoscente

I want to see the original R-rated version of Mission: Impossible II. I've read the screenplay, and it was a funnier movie to boot.

• Like 2