So what's up w/ Jet's FoL, DM2,..?Bey's news 4-5 months ago

Guest W Hong

Guest W Hong

So do any of you know what's going on w/ HK movies like "Fist of Legend", "Drunken Master 2" and "RumbleITB"? I know that the uncut HK version of "FoL" was never released on any DVD(which is info already well known to HK movie fans, of course). However, in an interview from about 4 to 5 months ago, Bey Logan said that there is hope for an uncut HK version of "FoL". Bey talked about that because he said he is going to work for The Weinstein Co., who has the rights to that classic Jet movie.

Like I said, that was 4-5 months ago. So since "FoL", "DM2", and "RITB" didn't seem to ever be released on HK import DVD, then is there recent news about those movies? And what was the reason for those two particular Jackie movies to never come out on DVD in the uncut HK version? If Miramax/Dimension released "Armor of God" and its sequel on video, then why were those available on HK's Deltamac/Fortune Star DVD's IIRC?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Beat TG

Dragon Dynasty owns the rights to Fist Of Legend but no news yet when it will be released. Drunken Master 2 I believe is still owned by Miramax unfortunately.

DD owns all the films Disney released on video. Anything that played in theaters like DM2 are still at Disney.

Guest chen lung
Actually its now owned Warner since WB owns NL.

True ;) .

And what was the reason for those two particular Jackie movies to never come out on DVD in the uncut HK version?

DM2 was released by Thakral uncut and Cantonese/subtitled.

RITB was released by Chinastar/Thakral uncut and Cantonese (no subtitles). The HK version didn't include Angelo's 'pants-up' (only Malaysian prints did) or the nightclub escape.

If Miramax/Dimension released "Armor of God" and its sequel on video, then why were those available on HK's Deltamac/Fortune Star DVD's IIRC?

Fortune Star own the film and provided the materials for Deltamac/IVL releases, RITB and DM2 are not in their catologue.

ain't owned by Miramax or Dragon Dynasty, it's New Line Cinema.

that was a given. Rumble...I don't see getting another release anytime soon. DM2? Hmm....

Guest Yi Long

The longer it will take them to release them, the more sure you can be that they are busy with @#%$ these movies up.

It's very simple: WE just want an uncut and subbed version of FOL. However, they think they also have to re-score, dub and 'trim' it, to make one of the very best action movies EVER (IMHO it's the best martial arts flick), even better.

I'm pretty pessimistic about it all. These movies were released in '94. Both FOL and DM2 are prime examples of grade A movies in their respective genre's. People I have shown these movies to (the uncut versions) ALL were AMAZED by them. Even non-kung fu fans. So it crosses over perfectly to a western, non-kung-fu fanbase crowd.

Yet about 13 years they still havent been released on DVD properly.

The businesspeople in these companies, in this case the Weinsteins, are just incompetent fat bastards who don't know 1 thing about movies.

Ah well, like I said, I've given up hope. I just recommend people try to get their hands on a good quality VHS or a bootleg or whatever...

If the companies cared so much about making money from these movies, they should have done their jobs years ago by giving us what we wanted. They dont care.

And Bey Logan is a moneyhungry hypocrite. I really wish he wasnt. But seems he is.

Guest Isfahani

Regarding Bey, howevermuch you're pissed at the lack of your favorite film being unreleased properly as of yet, I have to ask:

Do you have a family to support without steady work like some people in the entertainment biz? Unless you got facts to back that up, it's an empty supposition.

Is he or isn't he, or is anybody what they "seem"?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Guest limubai2000
And Bey Logan is a moneyhungry hypocrite.

Not everyone can starve for their morals or art. Some of us have others that depend on us.

At any rate I think TWC is doing well with the DD discs, I'm happy with the ones I own. In fact I'm downright tickled pink with SPL/Killzone and really excited to see My Young Auntie soon.

If the TWC own FOL, I'm sure we will see it on DD this year.

Guest Yi Long

Ow puh-leaze. You really think Bey would be starfing if he didnt agree with cut movies and didnt take a stance!?

Get real.

The guy is one of the better commentator's, he wrote/writes articles, in HK he's got his moviegigs going (writing, casting, maybe producing) etc.

Plus you make it seem that Fist of Legend wouldnt be making any money if it was released uncut and subbed. Get real. It would probably make MORE money when it would be released properly.

Guest limubai2000
Plus you make it seem that Fist of Legend wouldnt be making any money if it was released uncut and subbed. Get real. It would probably make MORE money when it would be released properly.

No where in my post did I say anything of the sort. You sure you are reading the right post? :P I think I said -

f the TWC own FOL, I'm sure we will see it on DD this year.

So you can't read or are drawing inane conclusions. I'd like to see an uncut FOL as much as everyone else but I'm not gonna trash Bey or DD until I see them release it cut. That would be called "jumping the gun".

Last time I checked... every DD DVD out is uncut, or did I miss something? Even TYG has both the cut and uncut versions on it. Seven Swords even had an extended cut.

To a normal logical person this would mean that more than likely we are gonna see FOL uncut on DD, would it not?

Guest Yi Long

LiMuBai: I was actually responding to this:

Regarding Bey, howevermuch you're pissed at the lack of your favorite film being unreleased properly as of yet, I have to ask:

Do you have a family to support without steady work like some people in the entertainment biz? Unless you got facts to back that up, it's an empty supposition.

;)

Guest limubai2000

I know you were, hence the :P

But still my friend Isfahani's point rings with a measure of truth.

I think you're complaining about something is WILL more than likely happen, ok? So drop the FOL crusade, dedicate your energy to b$tch#ng about DM2!!!!

If DD releases a messed up FOL, I'll form up in the "screw DD and TWC" line behind you... :P

Guest Isfahani

lol... how sympathetic, and how presumptuous. Why don't you talk to Bey about the nature of income in the HK film industry some time, as I have?

Better yet, have some kids and raise them, then get back to me. You sound like Dr Phil, d00d, with your "get real" @#%$.

I am very real.

Guest Yi Long
lol... how sympathetic, and how presumptuous. Why don't you talk to Bey about the nature of income in the HK film industry some time, as I have?

Better yet, have some kids and raise them, then get back to me. You sound like Dr Phil, d00d, with your "get real" @#%$.

I am very real.

TBH, I don't give a rat's ass what the nature of income is in the HK film industry, cause it's absolutely no excuse for cutting and dubbing and basically @#%$ up movies.

He has conveniently manouvred himself in a position where he can have influence on how we get to watch these asian movies. He calls himself a fan. So why does he want us to watch cut movies? Why does he excuse it?

It has nothing to do with Bey having to make a living, cause quite honestly you cant tell me he isnt making a nice amount of cash. I'm sure he gets paid well. (If he isnt than he's doing something very wrong, and that would be his own damn fault.) Might not be as much as he wants to get paid, and maybe he makes more cash when he's sucking up to the Weinsteins... I dont know... but that doesnt mean we should be stuck with cut movies.

Cause when has the CUT and subbed version of ANY asian movie really been better than the uncut movie? I doubt there are more than 5 examples, in this 50+ year old history of asian movies being @#%$ up for the western market.

Guest chen lung
Isn't there a Ritek DVD of Fist Of Legend that is subbed & uncut?

The Taiwanese version (Mandarin) instead of the preferred HK edit - it's also non-remastered e.t.c.

Guest The Running Man

If the Taiwanese version had an audio track that had the Cantonese, Japanese, and English dialog like the HK version does, than that would easily have made it the "preferred" version of that film for me.

Guest limubai2000

I have the official Ritek and it only has Mandarin, I expect very little from Taiwan DVDs, most of the time I'm surprised when they have english subs, much less good ones!

Archived