What are the best Jade Leung action movies?

Guest harvest4

One Armed Boxer
The only one I can think of liking was Fox Hunter.

Satin Steel, Black Cat, and Fox Hunter are pretty good.

I just got through reviewing this one, definitely not a bad entry into the Girls with Guns genre, and the fact that Jade Leung is very easy on the eye goes a long way.:tongue: Check it out below -

http://www.cityonfire.com/fox-hunter-1995-review-hunting-fox-stephen-tung-wai-jade-leung-ching/

• Like 1

I just got through reviewing this one, definitely not a bad entry into the Girls with Guns genre, and the fact that Jade Leung is very easy on the eye goes a long way.:tongue: Check it out below -

http://www.cityonfire.com/fox-hunter-1995-review-hunting-fox-stephen-tung-wai-jade-leung-ching/

Good review. I'm not familiar with Jade Leung's work beyond Flying Dragon, Leaping Tiger, which was pretty good.

• Like 1

ShawAngela

She's very good in the series The master of kung fu (TVB with Yuen Wah) and Legend of Yung Ching (with Adam Cheng).

• Like 1

M.H. Boroson

It seems to me that some of Jade Leung's films are like a backlash against the girls-with-guns genre. The eighties gave us movies with titles like The Inspector Wears Skirts, putting forward the idea that women can be cops (and action stars).

But Jade Leung's films in the nineties, like Fox Hunter and Peeping Tom, are almost the opposite. Instead of a woman proving that she can do a man's job, they suggest that a woman shouldn't do a man's job. In these films, Leung's policewomen are victims more than heroes, and their victimhood is the consequence of criminals finding them sexually attractive.

There's something bleak in that vision of the world. I mean, maybe on some level, any fight movie gives us a feeling that enemies can be beaten, obstacles can be conquered, and we should never stop fighting, never give up. But Jade Leung's films are so much about being beaten down.

• Like 1

I don't agree with that. In FOX HUNTER she clearly gets the job done heroically, and so she does in most of her other action movies. Perhaps her lack of real fighting capabilities motivated the writers to make her characters less nonstop ass kicking and more human.

• Like 1

I don't agree with that. In FOX HUNTER she clearly gets the job done heroically, and so she does in most of her other action movies. Perhaps her lack of real fighting capabilities motivated the writers to make her characters less nonstop ass kicking and more human.
Which is something I love in certain movies.
  • Like 1

Cognoscente

Jade Leung did a great interview for Asian Cult Cinema (#41 circa 2003). It's a revelation. She wanted to be called Jay Leung but "Jade" caught on too quick. Her favourite action director is Stephen Tung.

On 5/29/2015 at 2:08 AM, M.H. Boroson said:

But Jade Leung's films in the nineties, like Fox Hunter and Peeping Tom, are almost the opposite. Instead of a woman proving that she can do a man's job, they suggest that a woman shouldn't do a man's job. In these films, Leung's policewomen are victims more than heroes, and their victimhood is the consequence of criminals finding them sexually attractive.

In the interview conducted by Art Black, she told him: "If you know Hong Kong style, you know all the film directors do not concentrate on the girls. Actually all the films are men. The main characters are men. You know all the films I made, actually I am the main cast. From 1995 on, most companies did not want to put money into one girl only. The economy of the world is going downhill. For example, in the old days, my movies could be sold to Korea. Now, since Korean productions and quality have been improving, they don't need to import movies."

In the interview, she talked about how she was going to do a movie with Andrew Lau...but that did not happen. As a footnote, I think that her and Yvonne Yung Hung used to look so much alike. They could have played sisters.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

It may have taken 30 years, but I finally got around to giving 'Black Cat' a first time watch thanks to the recently released Hong Kong Blu-ray. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF to weigh in with my thoughts, check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/black-cat-1991-review/

Damn, I was hoping that you would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Edited by De Ming Li
  • Like 2

PandaPawPaw

I watched Black Cat and it was quite meh. It had it's moments but it was largely average. Alfred Hitchcock on the other hand looked like he was enjoying what he was seeing..............

2.thumb.jpg.97ae319b399468027231f4c2675c3453.jpg

:P

starschwar
Posted (edited)

Okay, hear me out:  Rear Window, but with the twist and finale from Once a Thief. 

Edited by starschwar