Missing Venoms ?

ShawAngela

On 4/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

By that rationale you should include guys like Yeung Hung, Chui Tai Ping, Chu Ko and many others..... referred to back in the day as the "baby venoms".

Which one of the Baby Venoms was the kicker? I always forget.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Which one of the Baby Venoms was the kicker? I always forget.

You're probably thinking of Tony Tam.... a venom regular and one of the best kickers at Shaws, though never utilized to his full potential at the studio.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

You're probably thinking of Tony Tam.... a venom regular and one of the best kickers at Shaws, though never utilized to his full potential at the studio.

Is he the one that gets castrated by Chiang Sheng in Two Champions of Shaolin?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Don't recall... got to show his stuff in Shaolin Rescuers and Daredevils the best as far as I can recall.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2020 at 12:53 PM, thekfc said:

Now here is an other question - under what title did you folks first saw this movie?

When I first saw it (1979 /1980, don't remember which year), it was under the title "The Five Venoms"  and throughout the trailer the characters were referred to as "The 5 Poisons" .

"Five Poisons" is a better translation of  "Wu Du" I think. 

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

English is not my first language so I googled for the actual difference between venom and poison. According to this site https://www.difference.wiki/poison-vs-venom/ venom seems to be more appropriate to describe the movie characters with regard to their animal styles but I don't know if it would also be the better translation of the original term. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

English is not my first language so I googled for the actual difference between venom and poison. According to this site https://www.difference.wiki/poison-vs-venom/ venom seems to be more appropriate to describe the movie characters with regard to their animal styles but I don't know if it would also be the better translation of the original term. 

Actually in China/Chinese folklore the centipede, snake, scorpion, toad & gecko are known as the 5 Poisons (they are not actually poisons but perceived to be poisonous). 

People may think is just a movie but there is a whole tradition/folklore/belief/superstitions/taboo about the 5 poisons - you will see/read stuff like "Five Times Pictures", hanging 5 o' clock charts, eating 5 "poison" cakes (5 different color cakes with pics of the 5 animal on them), wearing amulets with the 5 animals, 5 poison pockets,  etc, etc, etc,. 

It is said that on the 5 day of the 5th month (Double 5th day), the dangerous/poisonous animals would begin to appear then the people would have the Dragon Boat festival to drive away the Five Poisons, evil spirits & good health. Some also believed that the only way to combat poison was with poisons (sounds like the movie?  :wink ).

You can have an entire sub-forum on the subject.

• Like 8

Chu Liu Hsiang

How interesting, thank you! I read a lot of (Chinese) folklore but did not come across the Five Poisons before. 

夜读 | 过端午讲究多,只知道吃粽子您就外行了_北京日报APP新闻

Wudu.gif

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

How interesting, thank you! I read a lot of (Chinese) folklore but did not come across the Five Poisons before. 

夜读 | 过端午讲究多,只知道吃粽子您就外行了_北京日报APP新闻

Wudu.gif

Those look cool...but should they be eaten?  After all..they may be toxic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

venomsreviews
On 2/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, DrNgor said:

That was someone else. Tony played Li Yasong, who was one of the characters that were with Chiang Sheng and Lo Mang. Here is a picture of him in the film:

Two-Championsof-Shaolin-1980-103-b.png

• Like 3

venomsreviews
On 4/26/2020 at 4:42 PM, ShawAngela said:

I know that this group of actors has been called The Venoms due to their roles in the movie Five Venoms, but I have the feeling that the actors Chin Siu Ho and Ricky Chen TIen Chi should have been part of the Venoms too.

All eight of them complete each other very well  in some movies and that's always a pleasure to see them playing in the same (too rare) movie...

I agree. I know that there are different criteria and factors that other people consider when thinking about members of the Venom Mob. My friends and I like to keep track of the people that appear at least three times in Venoms movies. We counted Ricky Cheng Tien-Chi and Chin Siu-Ho being in seven movies. They absolutely stood out and shone in the films they appeared in. Everyone worked together to make the movies special. Their dynamic with the other members of the Venom Mob was very entertaining as they are both such talented individuals. Much like you said, since they reoccurred quite a few times, I consider them part of the group. I feel that they earned a spot in the Venom Mob.

Ricky Cheng Tien-Chi especially blends well with other members like Lu Feng, Chiang Sheng, and Kuo Chui because of his Peking Opera training, which means he can do more moves and be better timed with them. It definitely shows how they can create a whole, as you can see how well they work together and fit with each other, like pieces in a puzzle. Chin Siu-Ho did an excellent job of blending with their different styles, like how he fought with Lu Feng, Wong Lik, and Chu Ko in Masked Avengers (1981), which is amazing. I always enjoy seeing them on screen when watching a Venoms movie.

Edited by venomsreviews
rewording
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

6 hours ago, venomsreviews said:

I agree. I know that there are different criteria and factors that other people consider when thinking about members of the Venom Mob. My friends and I like to keep track of the people that appear at least three times in Venoms movies. We counted Ricky Cheng Tien-Chi and Chin Siu-Ho being in seven movies. They absolutely stood out and shone in the films they appeared in. Everyone worked together to make the movies special. Their dynamic with the other members of the Venom Mob was very entertaining as they are both such talented individuals. Much like you said, since they reoccurred quite a few times, I consider them part of the group. I feel that they earned a spot in the Venom Mob.

Ricky Cheng Tien-Chi especially blends well with other members like Lu Feng, Chiang Sheng, and Kuo Chui because of his Peking Opera training, which means he can do more moves and be better timed with them. It definitely shows how they can create a whole, as you can see how well they work together and fit with each other, like pieces in a puzzle. Chin Siu-Ho did an excellent job of blending with their different styles, like how he fought with Lu Feng, Wong Lik, and Chu Ko in Masked Avengers (1981), which is amazing. I always enjoy seeing them on screen when watching a Venoms movie.

Nice point of view.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2