Chin Siu Ho

ShawAngela

Am I the only one to think that Chin Siu Ho is underrated ?

What do you all think of the way he was used in the Shaws' movies and elsewhere ?

Most of the movies I saw him in were Shaws' movies, and the other ones were Tai Chi Master and Fist of legend, in which I thought that he was excellent and that he finally was given the  leading roles that he deserved (the only consistent leading role I saw him in for the Shaws' was in Brothers from the Walled City).

• Like 5

He was indeed a great martial artist, no doubt about it.

I assume his career took a dive after being involved in a scandal that involved him looking up womens' skirts.

While his career never completely recovered, his horror film Rigor Mortis, in which he plays a fictionalized version of himself, was a critical darling.

• Like 2

Never been a big fan,I thought his modern day setting movies were better than his traditional Kung fu movies but that’s not saying much.Fist of legend is probably my favourite of his but I have to admit haven’t seen many of his lesser known movies.What do people recommend?

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Never been a big fan,I thought his modern day setting movies were better than his traditional Kung fu movies but that’s not saying much.Fist of legend is probably my favourite of his but I have to admit haven’t seen many of his lesser known movies.What do people recommend?

He has a good fight with Billy Chow in Blonde Fury, but not much to do otherwise.

He's in a lot hopping vampire movies, although I've only seen Mr. Vampire.

He gets to fight some in The Seventh Curse, which is more known for being outright bonkers and extremely gory than it is for its fights alone.

While he was still in a lot of movies after Fist of Legend, none of them really stick out beyond Rigor Mortis.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, sym8 said:

What do people recommend?

I like him in.....

Brothers from the Walled City

Demon of the Lute

Mr. Vampire

This Man is Dangerous

Seventh Curse

Edge of Darkness

Vampire VS Vampire

New Kids in Town

All Mighty Gambler

And seen him in cheapies like The Real Me, Dead Target and Hero Dream where I seem to remember he did alright. I like his brother better though. Better screen fighter, stuntman and actor.

• Like 3

Oh, yes, I had forgotten This man is dangerous, he was as good in this one as in Brothers from the Walled City.

I have ALl mighty gambler, but I haven't watched it as yet;

I like his smile...

• Like 3

To me he was just one Shaw artist/actors among others.  In other words, I never watched a movie just because he was featured in it unlike actors like Hwang Jang Lee, John Liu, Tan Tao Liang, Angela Mao, Wong Tao, Chi Kuan Chung, just to name a few.

• Like 5

He was great in action and in acting, average. Not fav but certainly no annoy. Remember saw him 1st time in 2 champions of shaolin thought then "that is guy who appears in jackie chan movies"...Has quite same looks to Yuen Biao.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Tex Killer said:

Has quite same looks to Yuen Biao.

I also felt this way the first time I saw him in a film.

• Like 2

It seems that I already said that in the forum but yes, I also think that Chin Siu Ho looks like Yuen Biao and even now, it sometimes happens that I have to think carefully whether it is one or the other while watching a movie without having taken a look at the cast before watching it...

• Like 2

LuFengLover

I haven’t seen many of Chin Siu Ho’s movies but I like him in the SB productions with the Venoms. He was so young when he began at SB. Just a teenager. I over him in Tai Chi Master. He played the villainous role so well that I was angry. I had to watch TTOK afterward so I would like him again.  Rigor Mortis was a good movie for him even though it’s not my usual type of movie. I watched it for him. I loved him in the Mr. Vampire movies. I enjoyed his performance in 2017’s Vampire Clean up crew. I say he is underrated. I need to go back and see more movies such as I will Finally Knock You Down, Dad and Brothers from the Walled City. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, LuFengLover said:

I haven’t seen many of Chin Siu Ho’s movies but I like him in the SB productions with the Venoms. He was so young when he began at SB. Just a teenager. I over him in Tai Chi Master. He played the villainous role so well that I was angry. I had to watch TTOK afterward so I would like him again.  Rigor Mortis was a good movie for him even though it’s not my usual type of movie. I watched it for him. I loved him in the Mr. Vampire movies. I enjoyed his performance in 2017’s Vampire Clean up crew. I say he is underrated. I need to go back and see more movies such as I will Finally Knock You Down, Dad and Brothers from the Walled City. 

@LuFengLover!! Great to hear from you here at the forum. I haven't seen your posts in a while.

• Like 3

Drinking a San Miguel in City Girl

2118520537_sanmiguel-citygirl-chinsiuho.png.0e7e123f22c9175f9deac5393faab9ba.png

Playing on the Shaws lot circa 1969 with younger brother Chin Ka Lok (thanks to whoever posted this originally)

2146286048_chinsiuhoandchinkarlokontheshawlotaskids.jpg.877338e31a4ae3e171adde1823858427.jpg

Wong Man Yi sucks out the poison

1532291436_legendofthefox-bwlobby01.png.9b3be8c61a049cd9fd4113e9584e9fba.png

• Like 6

Light in the Dark

Yes underrated...Always thought Siu-Ho Chin had enough star power potential to hang with the Venoms.  Two Champions of  Death, Masked Avengers and 10 Tigers of Kwangtung were  the  first three movies I watched him in and his presence on the screen had a huge  and long lasting impact on me.   He was definitely an early favorite of mine when I viewed these movies as a kid.

• Like 4

You should also watch him in House of traps. I think that it's the first movie I saw him in and I thought that he was good in it.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2020 at 1:49 AM, panku said:

Drinking a San Miguel in City Girl

2118520537_sanmiguel-citygirl-chinsiuho.png.0e7e123f22c9175f9deac5393faab9ba.png

Playing on the Shaws lot circa 1969 with younger brother Chin Ka Lok (thanks to whoever posted this originally)

2146286048_chinsiuhoandchinkarlokontheshawlotaskids.jpg.877338e31a4ae3e171adde1823858427.jpg

Wong Man Yi sucks out the poison

1532291436_legendofthefox-bwlobby01.png.9b3be8c61a049cd9fd4113e9584e9fba.png

Little Chin Ka-lok is super cute. Did they do any martial arts movies as kids. Kar-lok was a good kicker, it'd be cool to see.

Edited by J.J. Hayden
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 11:39 AM, ShawAngela said:

Am I the only one to think that Chin Siu Ho is underrated ?

What do you all think of the way he was used in the Shaws' movies and elsewhere ?

Most of the movies I saw him in were Shaws' movies, and the other ones were Tai Chi Master and Fist of legend, in which I thought that he was excellent and that he finally was given the  leading roles that he deserved (the only consistent leading role I saw him in for the Shaws' was in Brothers from the Walled City).

Chin Siu Ho was definitely underused.  He held his own in Tai-Chi Master and Fist of Legend and showed some versatility in Mr. Vampire.  Chin was never given a real opportunity to carry a film -often called to be a co-star or supporting actor.  Although he had a role in "Ten Tigers of Guandong" I don't remember his contribution there.  That film has just too many stars that all of them get drowned out and diluted.  I did take notice of him in Masked Avengers. 

chin siu ho.jpg

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
26 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Chin was never given a real opportunity to carry a film 

Not true, he had at least a dozen or so starring vehicles as a lead and even more as co-lead. He was given plenty of opportunity, he just never took off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Not true, he had at least a dozen or so starring vehicles as a lead and even more as co-lead. He was given plenty of opportunity, he just never took off.

The films in which he was lead were not the greatest regarding story line.  Perhaps he should have chosen better and needed a certain type of film.   Either way, his career is definitely not over, he is to some degree typecast to this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morpheus said:

Chin Siu Ho was definitely underused.  He held his own in Tai-Chi Master and Fist of Legend and showed some versatility in Mr. Vampire.  Chin was never given a real opportunity to carry a film -often called to be a co-star or supporting actor.  Although he had a role in "Ten Tigers of Guandong" I don't remember his contribution there.  That film has just too many stars that all of them get drowned out and diluted.  I did take notice of him in Masked Avengers. 

chin siu ho.jpg

Thanks for this beautiful picture !

Do you know how old he is here ?

I wonder if he played in TV series...

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang

I first really noticed him as the ancient-greek-like tragic character in TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN, then in TAI CHI MASTER, then in MR VAMPIRE, and think he does great in varieties of roles.  I like his Flying Fox character in Chang Cheh's LEGEND OF THE FLYING FOX  better  than Felix Wong in the later Shaw adaptation.  Always a pleasure to watch him. I have not seen most of his movies after Shaw though, the most recent one being LOST BLADESMAN. 

Hhis Chinese wiki https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/錢小豪  lists about two dozen tv series. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
5 hours ago, morpheus said:

The films in which he was lead were not the greatest regarding story line.

Well, I would say that is true for the majority of HK action cinema.

But he was given plenty of chances at Shaws, GH and other companies in all matter of genres throughout multiple decades. I think it's safe to say he got more than his fair shot at making it big and HE just didn't make it happen. Don't think you can blame that on anyone else. Also don't think the local audiences ever fully warmed to him as a top billed lead and that upskirt photo scandal didn't help either.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
9 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

What is this ?

I don't remember all the details, but in the early 00's he was arrested for filming up women's dresses and it was much publicized at the time. I guess it went away again as I can't find a single shred of that story online today... at least not in English. I'm sure he just paid a fine and that was it.