Fearless DC-Why would anybody watch 2h20m kungfumovie?

Guest W Hong

Guest W Hong

I've been reading that the Director's Cut DVD of "Fearless" came out not too long ago. However, I've also read that this DC DVD of "Jet Li's Fearless" is about 2 hrs. and 20 mins. So if that's true, then I wonder why anybody would want to watch a kung fu/Jet Li movie w/ that length. I know that one of the longest versions of "OnceUATIC" is a little bit over 2 hrs., but a little bit. That particular version of "OUATIC" may or may not be a Dir.'s Cut w/ a time length of about 2h and 4 to 6 mins.

So after watching the classic "OUATIC" a few times in the past, it didn't seem to be that bad for that total length. However, I've read that this DC of "Fearless" only has one or two fights not seen in most theatrical versions. I've also read that Michelle Yeoh's scenes are included in this longer version(but she doesn't fight in these scenes, I've heard). So after knowing all of that info, and seeing the US theatrical version of "Fl" last year, it doesn't seem like a good idea for "Fl" to be that long. I didn't really like some of the fights in the U.S. version anyway. I do, however, still want to watch the DC DVD to find out if it's better than the theatre version. I guess that I have interest to see the longer DVD just because of the extra fights and also to see Michelle's scenes.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

well, i havent seen the directors cut yet, but i guess we'll see. i gues u can say my attention span is low...watching those long 2 1/2+ hour movies is a real challenge to me. personally i thought fearless was fantastic without michelle yeoh's scene, so i'll see how it affects the experience for me..

Guest jmungus

a) if its good, gimme 4 hours of kf film making any time :smokin

B) forget michelle. her scenes are a joke. shes not IN THE MOVIE, btw... just errr...introducing it sort of (what was all that *ballyhoo about her 'subplot* about anyhow ?) .

her part puts slightly more emphasis on the message they want to deliver with the movie.

i remember it was being said that jet was crushed at the news they`d cut out michelle, so much that he`d jet to the airport right away and hop into a plane (a jet plane !?! ;) ) to personally apologize to michelle... WTF- a simple call would have been enough :rolleyes

seriously!!! please!!!! if that legend is true, its a sad frakkin joke a la hollywood.

c) the 'new' structure of the DC makes total sense and adds to the quality in general and to the experience, but....

d) imo, it didnt make the movie that much better after all.

the theatrical version does the job.

i guess if one`s keen on seeing the essential message of fearless delivered to the max, the dc will make them feel a lot better.

if one`s out for a good gung-time, the theatrical cut really does the trick all the same, the rest is only propaganda.

Guest killer meteor

2 and a half hours of anything is fine provided it's been used well. There are extended cuts of films that are hurt by the length. Then there is A Touch Of Zen and Once Upon A Time In The West, films that are 3hrs and waste not a frame. And there are other films that are too short.

So, in short (sorrry!), 2h20m is not to be sniffed at

Guest HAZ74

Fearless was pretty good - the director's cut was GREAT. The Michelle Yeoh scenes didn't add much to the film, tho.

Guest The Running Man
However, I've also read that this DC DVD of "Jet Li's Fearless" is about 2 hrs. and 20 mins. So if that's true, then I wonder why anybody would want to watch a kung fu/Jet Li movie w/ that length.

That says more about you than it does about the movie.

It says you see these movies as disposable garbage that can never aspire to anything greater than cheap entertainment.

Guest limubai2000

People will watch it because it is a far more complete and better film.

I have to go with RM on this one, he hit the nail on the head.

This film is one of "those" films that proves martial arts movies can aspire to, and be complete films that tell stories, stir emotions, and provide great action.

Guest academy

I remember people on this (and some others) forum complaining Fearless getting cut upon its release. But then I've heard many people, and now this topic, saying they don't want to watch a MA movie this long. So I guess studios do the right things sometimes.

As for the DC, yea I agree with running man. It should really be time MA movies break out of the stereotype of being "cheap" or "fun" entertainment. Nothing wrong with that, but MA movies definitely can be more grand, or more provoking.

Having said that though, I actually thought the DC was a bit better, but not like it blows the theatrical cut out or something. If you don't like the movie that much, this won't change your mind. But if you liked it, this is really the only version you should get.

Guest Chinatown Kid

My thought on the matter is even if a kung fu movie's running time is very lengthy, as long as it keeps you interested and entertained it doesn't matter about the running time. Now if the movie isn't very good to begin with, then I agree a very long running time is just prolonging the agony, but this is the case with every kind of movie and not just Kung Fu films.

Guest Yi Long

I havent seen the cut version, cause I pretty much boycot movies that I know have been cut and are not the director's version.

But I did see the recent director's cut, and thought it was excellent. It didnt bore me, although I'm not sure how well it will stand up to more viewings.

Michelle Yeoh's 'scenes' are a joke though, and as far as I'm concerned add absolutely NOTHING to the movie.

People with a short attention-span should just watch powerrangers episodes. This is a MOVIE, it's long and it's very good. If you are only interested in the fights, then so be it... but that doesnt mean the rest of us guys should have to settle for a butchered cut up version just so you kids will be pleased to have seen all the action within 80 minutes orso...

Guest Isfahani

Y'all should develop the patience for that and longer, cause it appears to me that all of the cool @#%$ going on in HK is on TV, where it's 20+ hour long episodes, like Yuen Biao's "Real Kung Fu"

Guest SilentJay32
I know that one of the longest versions of "OnceUATIC" is a little bit over 2 hrs., but a little bit.

Try 2 hours and 15 minutes, just a little bit shorter than Fearless. (Those minutes are probably dedicated to the end credits, anyways.)

Guest leung jarn

The Fearless DC is the only version I have seen. I thought it was great!

Still want to see the 4hr version of Seven Swords.

Archived