"Nanjing Massacre"

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

I had seen the book on this story and meant to pick it up I just been so busy, but if your a War History Buff then this movie should be one to see.

Hong Kong director Yim Ho's plan to direct a story about the 1937 Nanjing Massacre has been given approval to go ahead by the Chinese Ministry of Culture and other authorities, after adjustments were made to the screenplay. The film is currently going under the title "Nanjing Christmas: 1937" and is based upon the book "The Rape of Nanking" by the late Chinese American writer Iris Chang, following the story of a group of foreigners who attempt to help people in the city during the nightmare. It is said to have a budget of around 200 million yuan (US$25.8 million) and Yim is now in the process of scouting locations and deciding upon the cast, which may include some Hollywood names. Several other films about the massacre, in which Japanese troops invaded the city and slaughtered over 300,000 people are planned, with directors Stanley Tong and Lu Chuan working on their own versions, as well as there being a joint production between China, Britain and the U.S. in the wings.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Robert Ian Teller

Sad story indeed. But it's a story that needs to be told. It's a shame that based upon my readings there are a good number of Japanese people today who either deny these atrocities or are totally ignorant of what happened during that time.

Guest White Snake

According to a recent story on www.varietyasiaonline.com, the Japanese are going to make their own so-called "documentary", "The Truth about Nanjing". It will be made by some bozo named Satoru Mizushima, with the support of Japanese right wing politicians, and will "refute" Ted Leonsis' "Nanking" documentary, which is based on Iris Chang's book.

Guest Stuntman Jules

I still can hardly believe the Japanese actually did that to the Chinese people. When any ethnic group considers themselves superior to another, atrocities always ensue.

Anyways, the only other Nanjing film I've seen is BLACK SUN: THE NANKING MASSACRE, which will quite compelling, as usual with a T.F. Mous film, plays too much like a simple De Sadean catalog of atrocities. There needs to be more of a human element to all this, so I think making a film about the foreigners who created the safety zone is a great idea.

This movie called PHILOSOPHY OF A KNIFE, another movie about Japan's Unit 731 (where MEN BEHIND THE SUN is set), is due to come out soon too. It allegedly is so over the top and grotesque it makes MEN look tame.

The Japanese documentary about the Nanjing Massacre will probably be the funniest piece of fiction since the Book of Mormon.

Archived