Kung Fu Cinema (with Quentin Tarantino)

SMK

Quentin Tarantino asked me to host a podcast discussion with him about old-school kung fu movies, focusing on reviews he's been writing. It was pretty epic, and posted on the Pure Cinema Podcast (I've never hosted a podcast before, and I didn't get much time to prepare, but I think it went pretty well!) Our talk starts about 23 minutes in. He gives a nice shout out to the Hollywood at the end. -Dan Halsted

Quentin Tarantino returns to the Pure Cinema Podcast for a special new episode dedicated to his passion for Kung Fu cinema. Special guest Dan Halsted, diehard film collector and head programmer at Portland’s Hollywood Theatre, joins the Oscar-winning filmmaker, Pure Cinema hosts Elric Kane & Brian Saur, and the New Beverly’s social media manager Phil Blankenship for a wide-ranging discussion about martial arts movies, with a special focus on the films Quentin has reviewed recently for the New Beverly website.

Link Here.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaolinMapache

Pure Cinema Podcast Thursday 23 April 2020
https://pca.st/gc7rtv9w
Just got done listening to this podcast. It's so great to listen to people who are so passionate about the genre. I really enjoyed it! Figured I'd share with you all!

"Quentin Tarantino returns to the Pure Cinema Podcast with a special new episode dedicated to his passion for Kung Fu cinema. Special guest Dan Halsted, diehard film collector and head programmer at Portland's Hollywood Theatre, joins the Oscar-winning filmmaker, Pure Cinema hosts Elric Kane & Brian Saur, and the New Beverly's social media manager Phil Blankenship for a wide-ranging discussion about martial arts movies, with a special focus on the films Quentin has reviewed recently for the New Beverly website."

Currently at the 40 minute mark and what I learned so far:

• QT's Black Hole for films was 1973
  • QT has an excellent memory
  • He liked to watch Soul Train
  • The first kung fu movie he ever saw in the theater, Bruce Lee Super Dragon (Bruce Li)

Great discussion! I sometimes get a little annoyed with how Tarantino talks (I bet I talk the same way TBH), but the amount of passion between him and Dan was amazing. I liked how they Tarantino would compare some of the kung fu actors with Western actors so that people who aren't as familiar with the genre can understand better - Hwang Jang Lee is the Lee Van Cleef of HK, Sun Chung is the Stanley Kubrick of HK etc. I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time that Tarantino doesn't care for Lau Kar Leung though! I'm not surprised because I know he loves his brutality and blood and Lau's stuff tends to not have as much of it, but he also said he doesn't care for Lau's choreography but he likes shapes movies and I'd say there's a massive overlap there, but hey, different opinions and all that. It's great to just listen to people who know way more than me talk about stuff I love.

On the topic of podcasts though, does anyone have a recommendation for podcasts on the topic of martial arts films I should be listening to?

2 minutes ago, Writ said:

Great discussion! I sometimes get a little annoyed with how Tarantino talks (I bet I talk the same way TBH), but the amount of passion between him and Dan was amazing. I liked how they Tarantino would compare some of the kung fu actors with Western actors so that people who aren't as familiar with the genre can understand better - Hwang Jang Lee is the Lee Van Cleef of HK, Sun Chung is the Stanley Kubrick of HK etc. I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time that Tarantino doesn't care for Lau Kar Leung though! I'm not surprised because I know he loves his brutality and blood and Lau's stuff tends to not have as much of it, but he also said he doesn't care for Lau's choreography but he likes shapes movies and I'd say there's a massive overlap there, but hey, different opinions and all that. It's great to just listen to people who know way more than me talk about stuff I love.

On the topic of podcasts though, does anyone have a recommendation for podcasts on the topic of martial arts films I should be listening to?

@Writ!! You're alive! Great to hear from you!

46 minutes ago, Writ said:

I also really enjoyed listening to Tarantino talk kung fu movies and discuss his childhood memories which he so vividly remembers. I have vague memories of some of my cinematic adventures as a child. 

Regarding him not liking Lau's choreography ... steve brule GIF

I don't get it, his fights are so entertaining to watch. Did he ever explain WHY he doesn't care for Lau or his choreo? I need to hear this explanation. ;)

But yes, we all have our own opinion on what we like, and QT sure knows his Fu, so you gotta respect that.

27 minutes ago, SMK said:

I also really enjoyed listening to Tarantino talk kung fu movies and discuss his childhood memories which he so vividly remembers. I have vague memories of some of my cinematic adventures as a child. 

Regarding him not liking Lau's choreography ... steve brule GIF

I don't get it, his fights are so entertaining to watch. Did he ever explain WHY he doesn't care for Lau or his choreo? I need to hear this explanation. ;)

But yes, we all have our own opinion on what we like, and QT sure knows his Fu, so you gotta respect that.

Yeah it's ridiculous how good his memory is with films he watched ages ago. I have hazy memories of movies I've watched in the past few weeks let alone years ago!

I don't think he explains why he doesn't like Lau's choreography - he goes on to say he prefers Lee Tso Nam and Chang Cheh because of their brutality (I can't remember if he acknowledges that Lau choreo'd some of Chang's earlier films), but I think as I mentioned in my previous comment, it may be due to less blood. He did say he doesn't care for Lau's comedy which I 100% agree with, but then again not all of Lau's films are comedic.

32 minutes ago, Writ said:

I have hazy memories of movies I've watched in the past few weeks let alone years ago!

HAHA, me too. I know how that is.

32 minutes ago, Writ said:

He did say he doesn't care for Lau's comedy which I 100% agree with

A lot of the humor in these classic films are hit or miss. From my hazy memory, I do remember enjoying the humor in the film Knockabout. I'd have to rewatch it again to see if still stands. It might of been just from the memory of watching this movie with my dad and daughter, and remember hearing them laugh at bits in the film. :smile

Archived