What kind of Kung Fu movie would we like to see made in the future

sym8

Well, I would have said a movie based on the videogame "Sleeping Dogs(2012)" Starring Donnie Yen in the lead role. But since that might actually be happening(WOO-HOO!), I guess a good Chun-Li film would be nice. Not sure who I would have star in it though. 

• Like 5

Hell I’d just be happy with something that didn’t contain slow-mo,constant use of rain and slow-mo and no wires with slow-mo.

• Like 6

A good one. ; ) Old style in a new way be nice, having a lasting goodness. I wouldn't mind a good sci fi or fantasy one. Not sure these days who would be in it to make it good, maybe a new face that is good. Good is key word though.

Edited by slinky#1
  • Like 4

I want the old school to come back (in spirit). Give me a modern version of shapes in maybe a Shaolin movie or Hung Gar movie (tired of Wing Chun). Just the classic stuff but through a a new lens. Classic styles, classic Chinese heroes but with a modern take.

• Like 8

thundered mantis

I liked Tsui Siu Ming Champions. A little too wushuist maybe. But that proved they can do old school type fights in a more modern setting/context. Or The Rebel. Would like to see that kind of films. Not interested on all those chinese tv movies with the recurrent slo mo, rain and moves stolen from previous movies

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

The kind of Kung Fu movies I like have all already been made. The future holds no promise or value in that regard for me.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I want the old school to come back (in spirit). Give me a modern version of shapes in maybe a Shaolin movie or Hung Gar movie (tired of Wing Chun). Just the classic stuff but through a a new lens. Classic styles, classic Chinese heroes but with a modern take.

This would be great but I get the feeling today’s film makers can’t resist throwing in the wire fu instead of relying on the stars and choreographers skills.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

The kind of Kung Fu movies I like have all already been made. The future holds no promise or value in that regard for me.

This could well be true😞

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Like @Drunken Monk, I would love to see a modern "old school" film with some shapes choreography. I would also love Chinese films to get back to the action choreography of the 80's/90's HK era. And I'd love a film devoted to showcasing a particular style as did Ong Bak and Merantau a few years back. And all with no dadblamed wirework, please!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Like @Drunken Monk, I would love to see a modern "old school" film with some shapes choreography...And I'd love a film devoted to showcasing a particular style as did Ong Bak and Merantau a few years bac

I wonder if Shito-Ryu has ever gotten a "pure" showcase. If not, I'd like to see a shapes-based film based on Shito-Ryu forms.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Like @Drunken Monk, I would love to see a modern "old school" film with some shapes choreography. I would also love Chinese films to get back to the action choreography of the 80's/90's HK era. And I'd love a film devoted to showcasing a particular style as did Ong Bak and Merantau a few years back. And all with no dadblamed wirework, please!

Well it's not much but a small Australian filmmaking crew has worked on a few 80's-style martial arts shorts, they can be found here, complete with shitty cantonese dubbing and horrendous subs & audio effects :

And a bunch of other shorts.

Yesterday they finished shooting their first full-length feature, named Echo 8. If these shorts are any indication, there's potential in there.

They also got a budget approved by the Australian government to make another martial arts short named OPERATION KUNG FLU

I wish more people did what they did.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 6

ShaOW!linDude

@Daxtreme, I love independent stuff like this, and the work of Eric Jacobus & the Stunt People, Martial Club, the Young Masters, LBP Stunts, Mike Moeller, etc. I wish those guys could get some legitimate financing to do full fledged films. Their stuff is an homage to the HK action films of the 80's/90's, and they do some cool choreography.

• Like 6

NoKUNGFUforYU

Trying to do this is a little like trying to make a spaghetti western these days or a western period. It was a special time when it seemed audiences were fairly unified in what they were expecting. Now we have phony Chinese CGI flicks that they love in China but just don't make it here and then we have things like John Wick, which are great, but really not Kung Fu movies. Like I said before, things like the UFC along with other full contact venues of Muay Thai, Sanda, Karate Combat, etc, show how hard it is too beat even one well trained, strong opponent, let alone a room full. My son is 20 and they like Jackie and Donnie, but shapes leave them cold and so do some bashers. Bruce Lee is an icon, but that is a whole other discussion, as he is a symbol of masculinity and power, not just kung fu.

• Like 4

I’ve been waiting for an old school Kung fu movie.. no wires.. no crazy flying through the air.. just good, realistic old school Kung fu.. I think Donnie yen is the closest to that in his movies, special ID & Kung fu jungle .. but I’d like to see one set back during the Ching Dynasty times, maybe with some of the old 70s Kung fu guys that are still around & some of the young talent... they don’t seem to make them like they used to. 

• Like 4

On 1/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Well said! 👍🏻 I feel the same way.. not into these wires they use. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jonny said:

I’ve been waiting for an old school Kung fu movie.. no wires.. no crazy flying through the air.. just good, realistic old school Kung fu.. I think Donnie yen is the closest to that in his movies, special ID & Kung fu jungle .. but I’d like to see one set back during the Ching Dynasty times, maybe with some of the old 70s Kung fu guys that are still around & some of the young talent... they don’t seem to make them like they used to. 

I hear what your saying but I think it was Jackie or Sammo(can’t really  remember)who said it was difficult to do these fight scenes now because 1.it’s been done to death and 2.there just aren’t the people around who have the skill set to do that kind of choreography anymore.It would be a blast though to see something like what we got from the old days.I still revisit those movies more than anything they bring out today.

• Like 6

On 4/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, sym8 said:

I hear what your saying but I think it was Jackie or Sammo(can’t really  remember)who said it was difficult to do these fight scenes now because 1.it’s been done to death and 2.there just aren’t the people around who have the skill set to do that kind of choreography anymore.It would be a blast though to see something like what we got from the old days.I still revisit those movies more than anything they bring out today.

Thats a very good point

that era was a boon in terms of martial artists like Hwang Jan Lee, Tan Tao Liang etc and the talent that graduated from the opera schools(im not sure such strict training regimes exist today) who were at their peak and had the fitness and ability to handle long complicated takes as well as multiple projects

That said there must be talent among the Wu Shu players and martial artists that could adapt to film it would be interesting to see what the skilled action directors could come up with working with them

Edited by northern b
  • Like 5

Just now, WangYu said:

I'm thinking about some company producing the original script for Bruce Lee's game of death.

Maybe would be a good idea of doing "Game of Death"  like they did "Fist of Legend" in which they took the original concept from "Fists of Fury" but made a movie that didn't felt like Bruceploitation, because Jet Li was actually playing Chen Zhen character, not trying to copy Bruce Lee's Chen Zhen.

But as far as i know. There was never an original Bruce Lee's Game of Death script, i think never finish that one. As far as i know, the only thing he left was the concept of the movie written in his notes and the footage he shot,  but not a proper fully develop sceenplay.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, edher_M.A. said:

Maybe would be a good idea of doing "Game of Death"  like they did "Fist of Legend" in which they took the original concept from "Fists of Fury" but made a movie that didn't felt like Bruceploitation, because Jet Li was actually playing Chen Zhen character, not trying to copy Bruce Lee's Chen Zhen.

But as far as i know. There was never an original Bruce Lee's Game of Death script, i think never finish that one. As far as i know, the only thing he left was the concept of the movie written in his notes and the footage he shot,  but not a proper fully develop sceenplay.

Perhaps I don't know much about making movies but it seems to me when people start shooting footage then there must be an almost completed script or screenplay ready as a minimum.

I'm surprised the film hasn't been remade in all those decades really

• Like 3

Just now, WangYu said:

Perhaps I don't know much about making movies but it seems to me when people start shooting footage then there must be an almost completed script or screenplay ready as a minimum.

I'm surprised the film hasn't been remade in all those decades really

Not really, if you are the producer of the film and have the resources, the crew and actors, you can start shooting with the idea and concepts. Now, if you are going throught the "system" and you need to raise money for producing the movie, attract specific actors, etc...then you need a sceenplay or at least a strong treatment.

In Matthew Polly's Bruce Lee a Life, its said that The Big Boss was made out of 3 sheets of paper. Which isn't a surprise, since back then in Hong Kong, many movies were made out of the basic storyline and just fed the actors with the lines as they were making the movie.

As far as i know from several interviews, documentaries and bios, Bruce only had a core idea about the movie and the concept of having a fighter go through several levels of a pagoda fighting a different opponents of an specific martial art style in each level. Shanon Lee showed this sketches and some of Bruce Lee's choreography notes, but he never wrote the full screenplay of this.

• Like 3

Alright, sounds like a terrible waste of money though I wouldn't be surprised if footage shot before the script/screenplay is ready is prone to be unsuitable. Unless of course you write the script with the already shot footage in mind.

Either way I understand now why some movies turn out to be a mess :-D

• Like 2

Just now, WangYu said:

Alright, sounds like a terrible waste of money though I wouldn't be surprised if footage shot before the script/screenplay is ready is prone to be unsuitable. Unless of course you write the script with the already shot footage in mind.

Either way I understand now why some movies turn out to be a mess :-D

Exactly!!!! lol  that's the reason why the plot of many of those movies doesn't make any sense, they were all about the fight scenes!

In the book they said Bruce Lee knew exactly how the movie was going to end but didn't had the beginning and middle of it. Also,  he  didn't figure out what was the thing he needed to find in the top of the tower. Looks like he wanted to make a movie with a very philosophical story about adapting yourself to the circumstances, and have flexible approach to life, etc, etc, etc,.

Actually i don't know if that Style vs no style type of movie set in present time is going to work. Unless, you make the movie set in the 1970s when people were more close minded about martial arts.

• Like 2