Calling Shaw experts: Actual production dates/year for Young Rebel?

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Does anyone know the actual production dates for Ti Lung's Young Rebel released in 1975? It looks to me like it was shot maybe as far back as '73-ish and for several reasons. One is the look of things and the look of the actors themselves.

But the main thing that struck me was Sammo as a bitplayer in one scene. His last appearance before this in a Shaw film was in 1972 and certainly by '73,'74,'75 he was THE action guy for Golden Harvest, highly unlikely to do extra work for the rival studio. He also looks quite young and seems to be sporting relatively short hair a'la Hapkido. There's also Lee Hoi San's hairline to consider.... it's pretty tight and curly here.... which even a few years later was strongly receding.

If anyone knows, please chime in.

vlcsnap-2020-04-23-12h19m42s217.png

vlcsnap-2020-04-23-17h55m05s236.png

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I can't answer your question, but I realized that Sammo was in a lot of Shaws' by taking a look at his filmography, and I didn't even notice him in most of them, which means that I'll have to rewatch them and spot him !!

He was even in Dark Rendez-Vous in  1969, and in The Jade Raksha in 1968 !

And you are right about the haircut ; it's also similar to his in The fugitive in 1972.

Well, he worked for the rival studio Cathay in 1970, when he played in Eagle's claws, so, why not working fot the Golden Harvest at the same moment he did some short roles for the Shaws' ?

See the pictures : first one : Dark Rendez-Vous, I almost didn't recognize him ! Second one : Eagle's claws ; Third one : The fugitive ; Last one : The jade raksha.

DarkRendezvous+1969-56-t.jpg

TheEaglesClaw+1970-38-t.jpg

SammoHungKamBo-253-t.jpg

SammoHungKamBo-165-t.jpg

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, '73 is my gut feeling too regarding production, though the actual release was early '75.

Don't have exact production dates for this one but here's a spread from Cinemart (Oct. '73). As it was under the Changgong banner, it may have started as early as June '73.

YOUNG REBEL.jpg

TibetanWhiteCrane

As I suspected.... thanks, Teako.

Question is, should Young Rebel then be regarded as Ti Lung's directorial debut, as I assume it was shot, or at least begun, before Young Lovers on Flying Wheels released in '74. This shit is giving me a headache :itwasntme

The "official" trailer on Celestial's youtube channel is also dated 1973.

Interesting thing I saw when looking through Southern Screen images last night, is that the working title for Generation Gap starring David Chiang in Dec 1972 was "The Rebel". Obviously an idea Chang Cheh (with writer Ni Kuang) was working on at the time with all his films on the issue of youth problems in Hong Kong.

345444585_19721200southernscreen17805.thumb.jpg.515f0fd19f29e99225e5bd5fe32b9a13.jpg

TibetanWhiteCrane

I saw that.... weird. Though the release listed on HKFA is 02-08-1975. Guess it was shelved for a couple of years like so many other Shaw efforts from the early 70's.

And yes, got a few of those mags myself, and the tentative titles for like 80% of the films always differ from the the release titles.... English that is. Don't know about the Chinese ones.

There are some months in 1973/74 where Shaws was releasing a film a week. They were probably making too many films to release and had to hold films until there was a spot that they weren't competing with themselves. Great observation on Young Rebel, I don't think I had ever thought about it even though I love the film.

Image is courtesy of @teako170

TibetanWhiteCrane
11 minutes ago, panku said:

Great observation on Young Rebel, I don't think I had ever thought about it even though I love the film.

It was mainly the Sammo thing... he looked nothing like he looked in '75 and no way he was doing bit work for Shaws at that time. This would have been his final gig for them. Maybe as a favor to his choreo buddy Chan Chuen as they worked a lot together at this time, and Chuen was one of three on action duty for this.

Archived