What kinda movie would we have got from Bruce Lee had he lived

sym8

DragonClaws
2 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Was Bruce Lee ever doubled ?

Yuen Wah doubled for him in Fist of Fury, and Enter The Dragon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Yuen Wah doubled for him in Fist of Fury, and Enter The Dragon.

Wow ! I wasn't aware of this ! You really know your subject !

• Like 3

DragonClaws
3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Wow ! I wasn't aware of this !

Yuen Wah doubles for Bruce Lee, during the samursault over the monks at the start of Enter The Dragon. He then doubles him again for the back flip, featured in the Mr Lee/O'Hara fight. There might other moments too?.

During the first dojo fight in Fist of Fury, he performs a few flips. It's also him leaping of Mr Suzuki's desk, during the films final fight.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Are you saying that Yuen Biao was Bruce's student or are you just talking of a certain Bruce's double ?

For the acrobatic flips in Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon he was doubled by Yuen Wah I believe.

Yuen Biao doubled for Kim Tai-Chung in Game of Death as well for the acrobatic flips.

• Like 7

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Yuen Biao doubled for Kim Tai-Chung in Game of Death as well for the acrobatic flips.

Yuen Biao may just have doubled for more Hong Kong stars than anyone else?.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 4/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, ShawAngela said:

Are you saying that Yuen Biao was Bruce's student or are you just talking of a certain Bruce's double ?

Yes, for certain acrobatic moves like the flip kick to the face in Enter the Dragon and the somersault in ETD as well. He had scoliosis, so gymnastics were out.

• Like 3

TheFlyingPanda

I believe Lee would have went on to make "The Silent Flute" but the script would have evolved, perhaps a different name , but definitely an epic Martial arts/Philosophical film. He might have even made a Team up cop film with Elvis, were the two are Narcs bringing down a drug ring, lol., I think he possibly could have went for this... Elvis was reaching out to him.  Who knows, but In another dimension all this stuff went down. 

Edited by TheFlyingPanda
typo
  • Like 4

DragonClaws
On 4/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, sym8 said:

,and do you think he would have been any good in a traditional Kung fu movie with shapes.

Hard to say how he would have taken to performing that style of screen fighting?. He was good dancer and known for his great timing, so he may have been a natural at it?. If Bruce Lee had lived, he would have fully developed his own style of fight choreography. By the time the shapes style came into play.

Who knows how the screen fighting styles would have all played out, if he had gone onto live a longer life.

• Like 4

Guest Kwai

Bruce Lee was a good actor.

We have to have context about acting in those times.

First of all, acting in the 60s and 70s was different. Not only in Hong Kong but all around the world. A lot of actors of that time came from the theater and acting was more theatrically than today. Todays actors could be models in a parallel universe. Compare Amber Heard with Meryl Streep for example. ...watch dramas from the 60s from hollywood in comparison to now... it was different.

Second, acting in Hong Kong, where a lot of actors had opera or stage background, was different. Chinese have different mannerisms than westerners. Bruce acted accordingly. When talking about Bruces acting, it seems like many people compare 70s acting with todays acting.

Third, let's not forget that Bruce's Martial Arts-way of acting was put forward in his last best known movies, which is great by itself. In them there are great bits of him showing what he can do. Let's also not forget that Bruce acted differently in his american roles such as Longstreet for example, for which he got much praise. They said "Give this man his own show". Bruce speaks about it in his interview with Berton (wasn't he talking about the New York Times?).

Some of his great acting bits in his first 3 HK Movies:

Big Boss: Bruce sees that the bad guys even killed the child and is shocked. Also when he sees the lee kwan'S character has been killed.

Fist of Fury: Bruce realizes his master is dead; Bruce pretending to be a dorky telephone-repair-guy(inspired by Jerry Lewis) and an old newspaper vendor; Bruce falling on his knees after he avenged his masters death, after killing Suzuki; Bruce getting angry before jumping to his death.

Way of the Dragon: Many of the slapstick bits are really funny and Bruce proves he has comedic timing: in the airport, while running away from the prostitute etc.; Bruce trying with Handsignals to tell the Mafiaboss who speaks in another language to leave the restaurant alone; Bruce showing his last respect to Chuck after he killed him (love the tune and the camera movement at that moment); Bruce saying goodbye to Nora

Bruce Lee was a good actor.

First of all, acting in the 60s and 70s was different. Not only in Hong Kong but all around the world. A lot of actors of that time came from the theater and acting was more theatrically than today. Todays actors could be models in a parallel universe. Compare Amber Heard with Meryl Streep for example. ...watch dramas from the 60s from hollywood in comparison to now... it was different.

Second, acting in Hong Kong, where a lot of actors had opera or stage background, was different. Chinese have different mannerisms than westerners. Bruce acted accordingly. When talking about Bruces acting, it seems like many people compare 70s acting with todays acting.

Third, let's not forget that Bruce's Martial Arts-way of acting was put forward in his last best known movies, which is great by itself. In them there are great bits of him showing what he can do. Let's also not forget that Bruce acted differently in his american roles such as Longstreet for example, for which he got much praise. They said "Give this man his own show". Bruce speaks about it in his interview with Berton (wasn't he talking about the New York Times?).

Some of his great acting bits in his first 3 HK Movies:

Big Boss: Bruce sees that the bad guys even killed the child and is shocked. Also when he sees the lee kwan'S character has been killed.

Fist of Fury: Bruce realizes his master is dead; Bruce pretending to be a dorky telephone-repair-guy(inspired by Jerry Lewis) and an old newspaper vendor; Bruce falling on his knees after he avenged his masters death, after killing Suzuki; Bruce getting angry before jumping to his death.

Way of the Dragon: Many of the slapstick bits are really funny and Bruce proves he has comedic timing: in the airport, while running away from the prostitute etc.; Bruce trying with Handsignals to tell the Mafiaboss who speaks in another language to leave the restaurant alone; Bruce showing his last respect to Chuck after he killed him (love the tune and the camera movement at that moment); Bruce saying goodbye to Nora

• Like 5

On 4/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, sym8 said:

What would we have got from Bruce Lee had he lived,and do you think he would have been any good in a traditional Kung fu movie with shapes.

Do you think he would have changed the face of the 1970's costume epic's, had he got the chance to appear in a Shaw Brothers production?. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Do you think he would have changed the face of the 1970's costume epic's, had he got the chance to appear in a Shaw Brothers production?. 

I think so but I don’t think he would have done a wu xia kinda movie,don’t think he would have been into all that flying fu but he would have brought his own take on it.Not so sure if he would have done a shapes movie though,I think he was more into realism  and quick short techniques rather than doing 30 movements with nobody being hit but we will never know😞

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 1:10 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The thing is, if Bruce was successful on a Bond level, the rest of the HK and Taiwan output would have been squelched I think. Who would want to see a cheap karate  movie (like a cheap spy movie) if you could see something with Lee on the level of Thunderball?

You can imagine George Lazenby and Bruce Lee doing their own take on the James Bond movies?. A lot of the early Bond movies were made on a tight budgets. Though they still had more money to play with than most Hong Kong movie budgets of the time.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 9:38 AM, sym8 said:

I think so but I don’t think he would have done a wu xia kinda movie,don’t think he would have been into all that flying fu but he would have brought his own take on it

We can only imagine what he would have done in a swordplay movie, with less emphasis on empty handed technqiues and kicking.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:38 AM, sym8 said:

.Not so sure if he would have done a shapes movie though,I think he was more into realism  and quick short techniques rather than doing 30 movements with nobody being hit but we will never know😞

I wonder what he would have made of Sammo Hung's late seventies Golden Harvest classics such as Warriors Two(1978)?. You could see him playing either Casanova Wong or Leung Kar-Yan's roles?. Not that the movie needed his presence, it was was a classic in its own right.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I wonder what he would have made of Sammo Hung's late seventies Golden Harvest classics such as Warriors Two(1978)?. You could see him playing either Casanova Wong or Leung Kar-Yan's roles?. Not that the movie needed his presence, it was was a classic in its own right.

The more I think about it the more I think he would have lambasted these type of movies,especially the choreography.I just don’t think he would have done that type of choreography because of the unrealistic nature of the scenes,30 odd movements with nobody being hit that’s just not what Bruce believed in but I think he would have been great in the roles you mentioned.Maybe if he was still alive back then we may not have got the shapes movies but continued to get the stuff he was doing in terms of fight choreography but we will never know,but I’m glad we did get them because I love them.👍

• Like 5

On 11/14/2020 at 5:31 AM, sym8 said:

.I just don’t think he would have done that type of choreography because of the unrealistic nature of the scenes,30 odd movements with nobody being hit that’s just not what Bruce believed in but I think he would have been great in the roles you mentioned.

It would have been something to see him try the shapes style under the likes of Sammo Hung. Even if it hand't been his style of screen fighting.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:31 AM, sym8 said:

Maybe if he was still alive back then we may not have got the shapes movies but continued to get the stuff he was doing in terms of fight choreography but we will never know,

I think it would have come into style as Hong Kong cinema would have been craving something new anyway. He may also have made a complete transition to Hollywood by the late 70's?.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, Kwai said:

Great post @Kwai, you make some really good points there.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, Kwai said:

Let's also not forget that Bruce acted differently in his american roles such as Longstreet for example, for which he got much praise. They said "Give this man his own show". Bruce speaks about it in his interview with Berton (wasn't he talking about the New York Times?).

It's a real shame we didnt get to see more of him in that show. How would his on-screen character have developed in later season's?.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

He would rule Golden Harvest, even do some movies with Pam Grier and other blacksploitation superstars imagine that? 

That would have been really cool @OpiumKungFuCracker, being paired up with Pam Grier, Issac Haye's or Richard Roundtree in the Shaft series?.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I think it would have come into style as Hong Kong cinema would have been craving something new anyway. He may also have made a complete transition to Hollywood by the late 70's?.

I completely agree with this statement 

• Like 2

I imagine Southern Fist, Northern Leg probably would have been his next film after completing Game of Death.

Has anyone here read or have access to that script?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CliveReston said:

I imagine Southern Fist, Northern Leg probably would have been his next film after completing Game of Death.

Green Bamboo Warrior is also a good contender for being the movie he might have made next?.

• Like 3

On 11/30/2020 at 10:35 AM, DragonClaws said:

Green Bamboo Warrior is also a good contender for being the movie he might have made next?.

Green Bamboo Warrior concept confirms some of my thoughts on the subject, cool topic btw. Being ahead of his time, I doubt Bruce would follow trends, he's not the type. It's more likely he'd change the industry rather than have the industry change him. I don't believe we'd get any of the shapes goodness from the dragon, especially with Jeet Kune Do around. Even with Game of Death, Bruce was set to promote his martial arts philosophy, from a guy who believes it's best to end the fight in the quickest way possible and with whatever tool proven to be the most effective, I'd expect modern action with quick fights, variety of styles and possibly somewhat dirty choreo. Also, I doubt Lee would have returned to SB, or US, unless it was in a triumphant way, and unless he'd be able to be a pioneer in one way or another.

• Like 3

On 11/30/2020 at 4:35 AM, DragonClaws said:

Yeah, that's the one that Andy Vajna may have produced,  yeah?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CliveReston said:

Yeah, that's the one that Andy Vajna may have produced,  yeah?

Thats right, Andy Vajna was just starting to make his move into movie making at the time.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

Here's the real head-scratcher: what specific HK movies could you imagine Bruce being in had he lived?

• Like 2