Kung Fu Parodies/Goof-Ball Comedies

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Guest jmungus

first off, i wouldnt say "first we had kung pow". reason: if u go completely crossover and allow ALL m.a.-related comedies in, then there re tons of others that came way before kung pow.

does "beverly hills ninja" count as well, btw ?? :eek

anyhoo...

kung pow- generic lamer. why do we mention such a movie at a proper board like KFF ?

18 fingers of death- horrible 'no-budget' bore; it does not suffice for a kf-comedy to reference all things cult and cliché about the genre; nope mr. lew; u gotta make it funny too!! :x - stay far away!.

kung phooey- wack, we didnt even make it to the half time.

CSC`s hustle & soccer are awesome flicks.

u dont seem to be all that familiar with CSC movies, as he`d use kf elements many times before (sometimes scarcely, sometimes as the movies`main theme, sometimes in an abstracted, "new" form (CSC fans know what im talkin about).

Guest Chinatown Kid

Even though it was silly as hell I liked They Call Me Bruce starring Korean Comic Johnny Yune. The "Fistful of Yen" segment in Kentucky Fried Movie was pretty funny as well.

kung pow- generic lamer.

The idea was pretty cool, to bad they had to go overboard with the cgi (aghh, if I ever see another dancing baby:x ), and the story (what was up with that ending), it could of worked had they not went so crazy with it, then again that's the guys style, he wrote and directed(the 2nd) the pet detectives, not to mention the thumb war movies. Still it had it's moments, to bad they just didn't stick with a strait forward kung fu movie.

u dont seem to be all that familiar with CSC movies, as he`d use kf elements many times before (sometimes scarcely, sometimes as the movies`main theme, sometimes in an abstracted, "new" form (CSC fans know what im talkin about).

Me and my friend laughed our asses off watching God of Cookery, the Chinese Odyssies were great to.

The "Fistful of Yen" segment in Kentucky Fried Movie was pretty funny as well.

That's probably the best KF parody ever:lol

Guest Markgway

Surprised no one has done a really good KF parody considering the ample material to spoof. A few have had their laughs but nothing approaching classic. Probably because they're usually done by untalented filmmakers. Kung Fu Hustle was more like a Road Runner cartoon with fights.

Guest morgoth

I am not a big fan of Kung fu Hustle.

Young Master is my favorite kung fu comedy. One of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Jackie really takes an ass whooping in the finale of Young Master, it was a great showcase for Whang In Sik's style of Hapkido. I actually prefered the comedy in Drunken Master to the comedy in Young master though.

What was the black guy's name in the Police Academy movies that did the martial arts and funny sounds? I thought he was quite funny, especially when he would move his lips out of sequence to the words he was saying like he was in a dubbed kung fu movie. :lol

Cognoscente
On 4/14/2007 at 7:41 AM, Guest limubai2000 said:

I have not seen that one but I can say 18 Fingers of Death is good, mostly for Pat Morita though.

It's too bad that director James Lew didn't do to Evil Destroyer what Steve Oedekerk did to Tiger & Crane Fists for Kung Pow! It would have been mega meta.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2007 at 7:04 PM, Guest Chinatown Kid said:

What was the black guy's name in the Police Academy movies that did the martial arts and funny sounds? I thought he was quite funny, especially when he would move his lips out of sequence to the words he was saying like he was in a dubbed kung fu movie. :lol

Michael Winslow and he is trained I believe in Karate. I saw his Michael Winslow Live movie and he is seen in one scene with a trainer who is helping him with his front kicks.

Fury of the Fist and the Golden Fleece and Made in Chinatown are two recent example of kung fu goofball comedies.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3