Why is this forum for films 1986-present? Why not 1995-present?

WaverBoy

This might be an extremely unpopular opinion, but I think that splitting martial arts films into only Classic and Modern is awkward. My ideal breakdown forum would be:

Classic Martial Arts Films — everything up through 1976

Golden Age Martial Arts Films — 1977-1994

Modern Martial Arts Films — 1995-present

It just seems wrong to post about PROJECT A and POLICE STORY in one forum and POLICE STORY 2 and DRAGONS FOREVER in another. Golden Age films should all be together in my opinionated opinion. Thank you for your consideration. :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can still discuss Police Story in this forum, it's loosely set dates.

Police Story is widely known as being one of the first modern movies in the genre, its release date has nothing to do with it. Project A is one of the first as well, as was Winners and Sinners.

But at some point in 1985 or so it becomes mostly the modern style of choreography that replaces the classical style, which is what the forum divide refers to, not actual release dates of individual movies IMO

Over the years, there was discussions to tweak the dates but I think the more subgroups, the more muddled it became. 

50 minutes ago, WaverBoy said:

This might be an extremely unpopular opinion, but I think that splitting martial arts films into only Classic and Modern is awkward. My ideal breakdown forum would be:

Classic Martial Arts Films — everything up through 1976

Golden Age Martial Arts Films — 1977-1994

Modern Martial Arts Films — 1995-present

It just seems wrong to post about PROJECT A and POLICE STORY in one forum and POLICE STORY 2 and DRAGONS FOREVER in another. Golden Age films should all be together in my opinionated opinion. Thank you for your consideration. :)

You bring up a great point and something that I've thought about often, but have never made the change cause it would be a lot of work moving stuff into its new proper category. I will bring this up with the mods and see how they feel about this. Maybe instead of adding another subgroup, we can just change the dates to:

Classic Martial Arts Cinema 1920-1995
Modern Martial Arts Cinema 1996-Present

40 minutes ago, SMK said:

You bring up a great point and something that I've thought about often, but have never made the change cause it would be a lot of work moving stuff into its new proper category. I will bring this up with the mods and see how they feel about this. Maybe instead of adding another subgroup, we can just change the dates to:

Classic Martial Arts Cinema 1920-1995
Modern Martial Arts Cinema 1996-Present

Aw man, that would be PERFECT; thank you SO much for your consideration! I really do think that the change in style post-Golden Age from 1994-1996 is more pronounced than the change in style from 1984-1986.

2 hours ago, teako170 said:

Over the years, there was discussions to tweak the dates but I think the more subgroups, the more muddled it became. 

I've actually thought of adding more subgroups before, such as Bruceploitation, Golden Harvest, and possibly others, but as you said, I didn't want things to get to muddled. Now that I think of it, it would help to pinpoint and fine-tune things a bit, to have things broken down a bit more. Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, SMK said:

I've actually thought of adding more subgroups before, such as Bruceploitation, Golden Harvest, and possibly others, but as you said, I didn't want things to get to muddled. Now that I think of it, it would help to pinpoint and fine-tune things a bit, to have things broken down a bit more. Thoughts?

My memory is foggy but I think Mark, maybe Linn, put it like... a thread on Big Boss. “Should it go in the Classic, the Golden Harvest, or the Bruce Lee forum?” With multiple subgroups you would have potential for lots of similar threads, but in different places, making it cumbersome to navigate. Think that’s why it was kept either Shaw and everything else lumped into Classic (or Modern if it hit a certain date criteria). There was a GH forum many moons ago. Don’t recall how long it lasted.  

3 minutes ago, teako170 said:

My memory is foggy but I think Mark, maybe Linn, put it like... a thread on Big Boss. “Should it go in the Classic, the Golden Harvest, or the Bruce Lee forum?” With multiple subgroups you would have potential for lots of similar threads, but in different places, making it cumbersome to navigate. Think that’s why it was kept either Shaw and everything else lumped into Classic (or Modern if it hit a certain date criteria). There was a GH forum many moons ago. Don’t recall how long it lasted.  

There you go. Explained so that it makes sense and I realize why I never implemented all these subgroups in the first place. Thanks for the reminder. 

Keanu Reeves Thank You GIF by NETFLIX

Archived