Movie with best sword fighting scenes

KCN9NE

While I'm at it about actor Kinya, let me add that he is also the actual son of actor Ichikawa Utaemon who was the original actor who portrayed the Mondo character.  Utaemon even did that character during the era of the Silent-films.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 3

The following fight-scene from Mito Komon has not only sword but also the Tonfa and Kusarigama chain and sickle>>

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 3

On 1/18/2021 at 11:33 AM, Shosetsu said:

@Yihetuan   While we're at it about Matsukata-- did you see the films where he took over the Nemuri Kyoshiro role after the original actor Raizo passed away?  What I heard as to why the Matsukata version failed is because his version came out during the same year that Raizo died, so the fans felt offended that the new version came out much too soon after Raizo's death.  Because culturally in Japan when somebody passes away, there follows at least a year to mourn his death.  But obviously that respect for mourning was neglected when Daiei Studios in trying to keep up the momentum of the Nemuri series, brought in the Matsukata version much too soon.

Apologies for the late reply, guess I missed the notification for this. Yeah, I've seen both Daiei films post-Ichikawa and they were ok but can't say I'm a fan as it just didn't live up to the Ichikawa versions. I've also seen a couple in the TV series when Masakazu Tamura takes over the role and enjoyed it even less. Just not a fan of Tamura as I didn't particularly enjoy his role as Itto Ogami in the Final Conflict either.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2021 at 9:01 AM, Shosetsu said:

The following fight-scene from Mito Komon has not only sword but also the Tonfa and Kusarigama chain and sickle>>

That was a nice fight scene especially the finale between Bin and Isao. Bin Amatsu was born to play villains. One of the underrated character actors typecast as a Yakuza henchmen or evil samurai baddie who always meets his maker at the hands  of the hero.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

One of my favorites. The French and Italians were recognized as being excellent swordsmen and would have easily rivalled the Samurai, as they had the edge with speed. This isn't to bust on the Japanese or Chinese fencers, just that there was some really good western fencing movies, especially ones where Basil Rathbone played the bad guy, he was a college fencing champion in real life.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

This isn't to bust on the Japanese or Chinese fencers, just that there was some really good western fencing movies, especially ones where Basil Rathbone played the bad guy, he was a college fencing champion in real life.

The finale Errol Flynn version of Robin Hood, is a great example of Basil Rathbones fencing skills.

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU
4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The finale Errol Flynn version of Robin Hood, is a great example of Basil Rathbones fencing skills.

question asks GIF

• Like 2

From the Choshichiro series starring Satomi Kotaro. At first there is a brief introduction of the character.  Then follows some clips of some great sword fights. 

• Like 4

On 3/1/2021 at 6:31 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

One of my favorites. The French and Italians were recognized as being excellent swordsmen and would have easily rivalled the Samurai, as they had the edge with speed. This isn't to bust on the Japanese or Chinese fencers, just that there was some really good western fencing movies, especially ones where Basil Rathbone played the bad guy, he was a college fencing champion in real life.

I don't like this duel at all. Michael York's D'Artagnan doesn't seem to know how to fight or hold his sword...

Give me  Stewart Granger's duel such as in Prisoner of Zenda, or a Robert Taylor' duel like in Ivanhoë, and I'll be happy...:bs_smile:

• Like 2

In Japan they refer to Samurai Swordfights on film as Chambara.  The origin of the word comes from the Sound effects made when two swords clash, that is, chan, chan, bara, bara.  So they combined those two words into a single word, Chambara. 

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 4

Popular actor Tamura Masakazu passed away recently at the age of 77.  Here he is as the Master Swordsman Mondo.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Isn’t it hard to measure who would win a swordfight? Every culture had their own style of sword, perhaps some swords wouldn’t stand a chance against another type of sword regardless of skill.

• Like 3

To add to my previous video of Mondo, it should be noted that Tamura's version of Mondo is a character entirely different from the Mondo as portrayed by actor Utaemon.   Because the Utaemon character has a crescent-scar on his forehead, as compared to Tamura's version who obviously has none.  The origin of the crescent-scar is that Mondo got that scar when he defended the Shogun from an assassination attempt.  In that Swordfight, Mondo got that scar.  So as a reward, the Shogun gave Mondo privileges.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

Cognoscente

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the most disappointing sword fight was the three brothers versus the aristocrat in Wheels on Meals.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 3:58 PM, WangYu said:

Isn’t it hard to measure who would win a swordfight? Every culture had their own style of sword, perhaps some swords wouldn’t stand a chance against another type of sword regardless of skill.

Some European Swords have Pommels.  A Pommel is an addition at the bottom of the Handle that is a round ball or half-ball that prevents your hand from slipping from the sword.  

If it's of the proper weight, it can also serve as a counterbalance to a heavy blade.  In other words, the Pommel would provide a center of gravity which would make it easier to do wide swings of the blade movement.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

"The Sword" (1980) with Adam Cheng and Norman Tsui Siu Keung has the best swordplay choreography from Ching Siu Tung.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

Ching Siu-Tung's best fight scenes really were in the old school era. I sometimes think the camerawork and editing got in the way of the choreography during the new wave era.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cognoscente said:

Ching Siu-Tung's best fight scenes really were in the old school era. I sometimes think the camerawork and editing got in the way of the choreography during the new wave era.

Agreed!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

Can you give an example of an old school era film with Ching Siu Tung? The name doesn’t ring a bell for me

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 5:40 PM, Shosetsu said:

Popular actor Tamura Masakazu passed away recently at the age of 77.  Here he is as the Master Swordsman Mondo.

RIP Tamura. :BL-Sad:I hadn't realized he recently passed until I saw your post. I still haven't watched A Samurai's Sorrow as it has been on my "to watch" list for the longest time. Interested since it's based on Kazuo Koike's manga and stars his two brothers as well. One of my favorite roles of Tamura was playing the stern but soft hearted Doctor on a TV series who has to deal with various family issues each ep. It was a Japanese version of the Cosby Show but I totally forgot the name? If anyone knows what show I'm talking about, please chime in.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, Yihetuan said:

RIP Tamura. :BL-Sad:I hadn't realized he recently passed until I saw your post. I still haven't watched A Samurai's Sorrow as it has been on my "to watch" list for the longest time. Interested since it's based on Kazuo Koike's manga and stars his two brothers as well. One of my favorite roles of Tamura was playing the stern but soft hearted Doctor on a TV series who has to deal with various family issues each ep. It was a Japanese version of the Cosby Show but I totally forgot the name? If anyone knows what show I'm talking about, please chime in.

To answer your question, it was the series [i]Otosan[/i].  There was another one besides that one where he was a Father too but in which his offspring consisted of No sons but only daughters.  But the one You mentioned where he played a Doctor, that one had offspring consisting of both sons and daughters.

While we're at it (since Tamura just passed away), I should include Tamura having acted in [i]Roman Holiday[/i] which was a Japanese version of the 1953 movie starring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.  

I also recall Tamura acting in at least one film in which he portrayed an actual historical person, namely Sakamoto Ryoma.  As you most likely know, Sakamoto is a very important person in Japanese history.  In fact, some polls even put him in third place next to Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu.  I don't suppose you've seen that Sakamoto Ryoma film, or have you? 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2021 at 6:20 PM, WangYu said:

Can you give an example of an old school era film with Ching Siu Tung? The name doesn’t ring a bell for me

He also choreographed Return of the Deadly Blade, with David Chiang, Yasuaki Kurata, Norman Tsui Siu-Keung and Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee.

• Like 2

@Shosetsu, no I haven't seen that version of the Ryoma Sakamoto story with Tamura. Yes, after I posted that I did remember the TBS series was called "Oh, Dad!"...I mainly watched it because I used to crush on Ryoko Hirosue back in the day. :BL-Love:

• Like 2