Movie with best sword fighting scenes

KCN9NE

What movie has the best sword fight scenes. It can be one specific fight, or a movie with a a bunch of good sword fighting scenes? 

• Like 4

The first swordplay scene that comes to mind, (though only one has a sword the whole scene) and one that you've probably already seen before is....

• Like 6

It's old school but I've always liked the sword play in Dragon Inn (1967).  The Magic Blade (1976) and Swordsman (1990)/Swordsman II (1992) bear fruit (though the latter two are decidedly more fantasy).  The sword play in On Guard (1997) and the Three Musketeers (1973)/Four Musketeers (1974) are all quite good.

• Like 4

I still think I love the last fight scene in Rurouni Kenshin 3 the most. Also the Netflix movie “the revenger” has a decently good sword fighting scene 

• Like 6

The Lost Bladesman. The choreography style here is a big getaway from all the flashiness you usually see in typical wuxia fare.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

The Kenshin trilogy It's probably the highest point. I've never seen anything like it. It's Flashpoint's equivalent for the best 1vs1 fight... it's no coincidence that Kenji Tanigaki is always involved.

• Like 4

Loved anything with Ogami Itto and his son because it usually ended up a pretty gruesome end for somebody.🤺🤺🤺🤺

Edited by sym8
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, KCN9NE said:

How do you insert a YouTube video?

There is an arrow on the YouTube clip in the right hand side,click the copy link then paste on here

• Like 1

Clip of Unusual sword fight between Wakayama Tomisaburo and Dutchman using a Rapier blade.  For the first few seconds the film appears to be frozen but that's because the fighters are getting their bearings. Then comes the action.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 5

Chen Hung Lieh

Besides all the completely unrealistic over the top swordfights in all movies directed by Chen Ming-Hua, I love Fung Hak-On's performance in "Last Hurrah For Chivalry":

• Like 9

In this scene from the film Umon the Edo Constable--although the fight begins with Umon using a Jutte-weapon, he then tucks the jutte back into his sash and then switches to a Sword.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 4

On 10/10/2020 at 5:29 PM, Shosetsu said:

Clip of Unusual sword fight between Wakayama Tomisaburo and Dutchman using a Rapier blade.  For the first few seconds the film appears to be frozen but that's because the fighters are getting their bearings. Then comes the action.

Mute Samurai is a nice series. I wish a label would put his out on blu ray with English subs. I'd be all over it. I ended up buying a bootleg box set for not an unsubstantial amount and I would gladly double dip for a legit release.

One that I enjoyed that borrowed heavily from the chambara influence was the Taiwanese indie, Sword of Justice. It just had such an atmospheric feel.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 8

On 10/17/2020 at 9:33 PM, Yihetuan said:

Mute Samurai is a nice series. I wish a label would put his out on blu ray with English subs. I'd be all over it. I ended up buying a bootleg box set for not an unsubstantial amount and I would gladly double dip for a legit release.

One that I enjoyed that borrowed heavily from the chambara influence was the Taiwanese indie, Sword of Justice. It just had such an atmospheric feel.

Actually the link that showed Wakayama fighting against a Dutchman was NOT the Mute Samurai series but rather Samurai Bounty Hunter.  The way you can tell the difference is because in the Mute Samurai, Wakayama's head is totally shaven like a monk, as compared with Wakayama's haircut in the Dutchman swordfight.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Shosetsu said:

Actually the link that showed Wakayama fighting against a Dutchman was NOT the Mute Samurai series but rather Samurai Bounty Hunter.  The way you can tell the difference is because in the Mute Samurai, Wakayama's head is totally shaven like a monk, as compared with Wakayama's haircut in the Dutchman swordfight.

Thanks for the correction. :thumbsup  From what I understand, there was a trilogy of Samurai Bounty Hunter films but also, a TV series that followed  which also starred Wakayama. Is this correct? Have you seen the TV series? Worth picking up?

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 5

On 11/1/2020 at 7:35 AM, Yihetuan said:

Thanks for the correction. :thumbsup  From what I understand, there was a trilogy of Samurai Bounty Hunter films but also, a TV series that followed  which also starred Wakayama. Is this correct? Have you seen the TV series? Worth picking up?

Yes, that is correct, it was indeed a TV series too.  I saw it.  Besides the Swordplay, he also used Guns--in fact, a whole arsenal!  I remember one episode where he pulled a secret cord that opened up a secret passageway to a cave below where he kept a whole [i]arsenal[/i] of firearms.  Explosives too.  My friend, if you are an action-junkie, then this is hog heaven. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Shosetsu said:

Yes, that is correct, it was indeed a TV series too.  I saw it.  Besides the Swordplay, he also used Guns--in fact, a whole arsenal!  I remember one episode where he pulled a secret cord that opened up a secret passageway to a cave below where he kept a whole [i]arsenal[/i] of firearms.  Explosives too.  My friend, if you are an action-junkie, then this is hog heaven. 

Thanks for the recommendation. I will pick up the TV series. I enjoy almost anything with Wakayama in it.

• Like 4

On 11/8/2020 at 10:15 AM, Yihetuan said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I will pick up the TV series. I enjoy almost anything with Wakayama in it.

In the Bounty Hunter series, Wakayama plays a tough guy.  But in his everyday guise, he has a job as a schoolteacher for small children.  In fact, quite a number of episodes open with him teaching a class for those kids.  I remember one episode where a small boy came to Waka to tell him a bully was picking on him.  The bully was of course much bigger than the boy.  So Waka advised the boy that the next time that he gets bullied, that the boy should counter by punching the bully in the groin.  So the next time, that's what the small boy did, and he succeeded because he defeated the bully.  

At the end of the episode, the boy came to Waka again.  He said he still has a problem with the bully, because now the bully put a wood slab over his groin to protect it.  So the bully is still a problem.  At this point, Wakayama says "Sorry, I don't know how I can help you.  You have to figure this out yourself."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1