Bruce Lee biopics

panku

I just saw 'Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story' (1993) for the first time. Please tell me that's not the best Bruce biopic. I'm usually not a fan of biopics, especially of people who's work I'm interested in, but it was on and I watched it. The actor who played Bruce was fine, but so much of the story was left out, I guess, so as to not tarnish Bruce's image, but still... and I could do without the fantasy sequences. Also, jumping from The Big Boss directly to Enter the Dragon? No.

I've seen most, if not all of the 1970's biopics with Bruce Li and Danny Lee, so I know what to expect with them, but I figured in later years they would have attempted a more factual version. Is there a good one? One that at least pretends to adhere to reality? I see there were 2 TV series, Spirit of the Dragon and The Legend of Bruce Lee. What is the opinion on them?

• Like 4

On 4/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, panku said:

I just saw 'Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story' (1993) for the first time. Please tell me that's not the best Bruce biopic. I'm usually not a fan of biopics, especially of people who's work I'm interested in, but it was on and I watched it. The actor who played Bruce was fine, but so much of the story was left out, I guess, so as to not tarnish Bruce's image, but still... and I could do without the fantasy sequences. Also, jumping from The Big Boss directly to Enter the Dragon? No.

It skipped over his rise to fame in Hong Kong, or maybe some of it was left on the cutting room floor?.

Have you watched Birth of The Dragon(2016) staring Philip Ng?.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 9:04 AM, DragonClaws said:

It skipped over his rise to fame in Hong Kong, or maybe some of it was left on the cutting room floor?.

Have you watched Birth of The Dragon(2016) staring Philip Ng?.

It could be that they cut it, I hadn't thought of that.

I haven't seen Birth of the Dragon. Is that a good one? I've only seen the ones from the 1970's and then the one from 1993.

• Like 3

Dragon works as just a martial arts flick as it is pretty fun but yeah it sucks as a BL biopic.

Birth of the Dragon on the other hand was one strange film. Philip Ng's Bruce came across a total douche and it's really a one time watch type of flick. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Does Shannon control who is given the rights to use the BL name? If so why does she give it to so many crappy things. :wondering

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 3

shukocarl1441996347
4 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Dragon works as just a martial arts flick as it is pretty fun but yeah it sucks as a BL biopic.

Birth of the Dragon on the other hand was one strange film. Philip Ng's Bruce came across a total douche and it's really a one time watch type of flick. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Does Shannon control who is given the rights to use the BL name? If so why does she give it to so many crappy things. :wondering

Because she's all about money?

Killer Meteor

Funnily enough, Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth skips over FIST OF FURY as well, though they do refer to it in the scene where Bruce rescues Mars from the British bullies.

• Like 4

Back in April I put together this list of possible Bruce biopic films (with alternative titles) where they at least have some biographical content about Bruce. I haven't seen all of them yet, so I am just going by what I have read on the films from 1985 on. I realize Bruce plays a small part in the Tarantino film and possibly some of the others, but I believe his parts are presented as biograhical.

1974 00 00 - The Bruce Lee Story / Super Dragon (一代猛龍) (Shut Dik/Taiwan) (Ho Tsung Tao/Bruce Li)
1976 01 09 - Bruce Lee & I (李小龍與我) (John Law Ma/Hong Kong) (Lee Sau Yin/Danny Lee)
1976 00 00 - Chinese Chieh Chuan Kung Fu / Legend of Bruce Lee (唐山截拳道) (Lin Bing/Hong Kong) (Ho Tsung Tao/Bruce Li)
1976 00 00 - The Story of the Dragon (詠春截拳) (Chan Wa , William Cheung Kei/Hong Kong) (Ho Tsung Tao/Bruce Li)
1976 10 07 - He's a Legend; He's a Hero / The Dragon Lives (詠春大兄) (Wong Sing Loy/Hong Kong) (Ho Tsung Tao/Bruce Li)
1976 10 28 - Bruce Lee - True Story / Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth (李小龍傳奇) (Ng See-Yuen/Hong Kong) (Ho Tsung Tao/Bruce Li)
1977 03 25 - The Dragon Lives Again (李三腳威震地獄門) (Law Kei/Hong Kong) (Leung Siu Lung/Bruce Leung)
1980 00 00 - Bruce - King of Kung Fu (醉蛇小子) (Daniel Lau Tan Ching , Bruce Le/Hong Kong) (Huang Chien Lung/Bruce Le)
1985 00 00 - No Retreat, No Surrender (Corey Yuen Kwai/USA) (Kim Tai Chung/Tong Lung)
1992 00 00 - Spirit of the Dragon (龙在江湖) (TV 30 Episodes/Hong Kong) (Wu Dai Wai/David Wu)
1993 05 07 - Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (Cohen, Rob/USA) (Jason Scott Lee)
1999 02 04 - What You Gonna Do, Sai Fung? (1959某日某) (Stephen Au Kam Tong/Hong Kong) (Stephen Au Kam Tong)
2008 00 00 - The Legend of Bruce Lee (李小龙传奇) (TV 50 Episodes, Qi Li Wen/Taiwan) (Danny Chan Kwok Kwan)
2010 11 25 - Bruce Lee, My Brother (李小龍) (Raymond Yip Wai Man , Manfred Wong Man Chun/Hong Kong) (Aarif Rahman)
2010 04 29 - Ip Man 2 (葉問2) (Wilson Yip Wai Shun/Hong Kong) (Jiang Dai Yan)
2015 12 24 - Ip Man 3 (葉問3) (Wilson Yip Wai Shun/Hong Kong) (Danny Chan Kwok Kwan)
2016 00 00 - Birth of the Dragon (Nofli, George/Canada) (Philip Ng Wan Lung)
2019 07 26 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Tarantino, Quentin/USA) (Mike Moh)
2019 12 20 - Ip Man 4 (葉問4) (Wilson Yip Wai Shun/Hong Kong) (Danny Chan Kwok Kwan)
Unfinished - Little Dragon

• Like 3

On 8/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, panku said:

I haven't seen Birth of the Dragon. Is that a good one? I've only seen the ones from the 1970's and then the one from 1993.

Depends what kind of expectations you go in with, it plays with the truth just like all the other movie bio-pics did. It's by no means a classic, but if you sat through all the other bio-movies you can make it through this one. Philip Ng is a talent in his own right, he brings a lot of life & energy to the role.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, panku said:

It could be that they cut it, I hadn't thought of that.

The original trialer for the film featured a scene of Jason Scott Lee( playing Bruce Lee) falling of his bike on the University campus. Who knows if anything more significent was left out?.

• Like 2

When I was younger I found the Demon Samurai guy in Dragon kind of scary especially when he does that freaky eye thing!

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

The original trialer for the film featured a scene of Jason Scott Lee( playing Bruce Lee) falling of his bike on the University campus. Who knows if anything more significent was left out?.

A scene where Lee's races to the airport to stop Linda and the kids leaving him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

A scene where Lee's races to the airport to stop Linda and the kids leaving him.

Thanks for sharing that information here, I didnt know about this scene.

9 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

When I was younger I found the Demon Samurai guy in Dragon kind of scary especially when he does that freaky eye thing!

The Demon was played by one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's old European training budies Sven-Ole Thorsen. He played the war hammer weilding Thoregrim in Conan The Barbarian(1982). He also played one of the hunter's in Hard Target(1993).

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

So above I said about the Bruce Lee name being given to crappy projects but stuff like below, she/they won't give the rights too.

The guy who made it can't get the rights to use the BL name. I bet they'd sell like hot cakes.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 10:37 PM, panku said:

Bruce Lee is a supporting character in his own film and the infamous fight between Bruce Lee and Wong Jack-Man is the impetus for some white guy to get into some Chinese panties.

• Like 2

The big production problems of Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (Simon Brew)

Link- https://www.filmstories.co.uk/features/the-big-production-problems-of-dragon-the-bruce-lee-story/

The film shot in Los Angeles and San Francisco, yet crucially also went on location to Hong Kong where the bulk of the movie was filmed. But there would be four major delays that hit the physical filming of Dragon. A film that was working on a relatively modest budget to realise an ambitious-looking biopic in the first place.

• Like 4

Cognoscente
On 8/25/2020 at 6:10 PM, panku said:

1999 02 04 - What You Gonna Do, Sai Fung? (1959某日某) (Stephen Au Kam Tong/Hong Kong) (Stephen Au Kam Tong)

This is the most overlooked one.

• Like 1