Donnie Yen: Hero or Villain?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

I rewatched "Shanghai Knights" last night and afterwards it got me thinking about how good Donnie is at playing the villain.

After his rebirth in 2005 with "SPL" we are so used to seeing him as the hero that we may forget about his iconic villain roles. 

I mean his breakout year in 92 saw him playing the villain in two new wave classics "Once Upon a Time in China II" and "New Dragon Inn". 

Later we saw him in "Highlander: End Game", "Hero", and of course "Shanghai Knights". 

So do you prefer Donnie the hero or Donnie the villain?

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

I think the rather arrogant off-screen attitude of his younger years suited him better to bad guy roles. While I love films like ITLOD 4, Tiger Cage 2 and Holy Virgin VS Evil Dead... he's kinda dickish in those roles, despite being the good guy. I think the more calm, restrained demeanour of his older years earned him the hero roles he has played. Overall... I think I prefer him as a heel like in the two 90's new wave classics you mentioned.

• Like 4

Both, I like diversity in performers. Sadly, Donnie declared that he ain't playing villains or negative roles anymore after doing Chasing the Dragon where he portrayed real-life drug lord Ng Sek-Ho (Crippled Ho). Great acting performance in that movie, too.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

Cognoscente

He should play an anti-hero where we never find out if he is good or bad. The sort of story where you can watch it many times and get different interpretations: him being selfless, him being selfish, him being undercover, him being an actual criminal, him wanting revenge, him wanting to redeem himself.

• Like 3