The demise of Margaret Hsing Hui

teako170

Watched Swordsman at Large 蕭十一郎 (1971) this evening for the first time. It was the second Hsu Tseng-Hung film I've watched this month and I preferred this one over the earlier viewed, The Silver Fox (1968) with Lily Ho. The film was solid enough with a decent tale, some good-looking cinematography, and engaging fight sequences. But that's not what had me mesmerized. It was watching Margaret Hsing Hui. No, not that she was such a good actress. It was knowing what would lie ahead in her future and not be able to warn her.

The story goes, she moved to California in the mid 70s but became divorced after only a few years of marriage. Her fashion business failed during the 80s and she became increasing difficult to deal with. In 1994, after having a argument with her mother, Hsing involuntarily struck her with an axe.  The mother was dead on arrival at the hospital and Hsing eventually confessed. She was sentenced to 11 years for manslaughter. Ironically, when Hsing was released 2007, her health had deteriorated to the point of no return and was found dead the same year. A tragic tale of mental health illness.

I haven't found any newspaper archives of the mother's death or her own. Like I mentioned above, it was just a bit paralyzing to see someone, full of life on the screen, yet knowing how it will all end for her.

Margaret Hsing Hui.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Her fate was truly terrible, and the obscurity of it is even more tragic as a quick google search doesn't yield any results or even mention of her death. You really have to dig deep to find this information, which I'm glad Teako that you did. Margaret's demise in terms of the tragedy scale is on par with Yammie Lam, Li Ching, possibly Margaret Tu Chuan and likely worse than Betty Loh Ti

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It is sad. I knew she had killed her mother, but I did not know it was intentionally with an axe.

She plays such a sweet character in the 5 Billion Dollar Legacy which I rewatched not long ago, she is one of the only 2 redeeming characters in the whole film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, panku said:

I did not know it was intentionally with an axe.

17 hours ago, teako170 said:

Hsing involuntarily struck her with an axe.

Well, I doubt that it was involuntarily...with an axe ??!! If it had been with a knife or scissors, I would have understood that it was an accident, but what did she do with an axe in hand ?

That's a really sad fate, indeed, and she was such a lovely actress...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Well, I doubt that it was involuntarily...with an axe ??!! If it had been with a knife or scissors, I would have understood that it was an accident, but what did she do with an axe in hand ?

That's a really sad fate, indeed, and she was such a lovely actress...

Maybe she was chopping wood? Yeah, it seems bizarre. Hopefully I can track down some more details. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I misread it. I guess it is possible that it was accidental. As soon as I saw the word "axe" I jumped to the conclusion that it was intentional. My bad, as they say.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 2:08 PM, laagi said:

Never seen a movie with her to be honest. But that's truly a tragic story on what turns her life took.

It depends if you are interested in all genre of Shaws' movies of not. If you are in all genre, then, try to watch My Son, The Virgins, Swordsman at large, The sword and the lute, The enchanted chamber, The swift knight and the non Shaw Dark Alley.

She was a great actress, and that's too bad that she didn't play in more movies, and in more action movies. I didn't mention the musicals in this list.

My favorite among the above mentioned are... wel, ALL of them !! :bs_smile:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It depends if you are interested in all genre of Shaws' movies of not. If you are in all genre, then, try to watch My Son, The Virgins, Swordsman at large, The sword and the lute, The enchanted chamber, The swift knight and the non Shaw Dark Alley.

She was a great actress, and that's too bad that she didn't play in more movies, and in more action movies. I didn't mention the musicals in this list.

My favorite among the above mentioned are... wel, ALL of them !! :bs_smile:

Was she a leading leading lady? Her face doesn't look familiar to me and I've seen most of those films you listed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

Was she a leading leading lady? Her face doesn't look familiar to me and I've seen most of those films you listed.

Check out her stats @ HKMDb. She had leading roles in several films but not a big "star" like other leading ladies of the day..

• Like 3

I just saw her for the first time as Lo Lieh's love interest in The Swift Knight (1971).  It's a sad thought that her demise was due to a mental illness.  I assume that either she went undiagnosed or felt she did not need treatment.  Regardless, its a painful, tortured life for not only her but others as well. 

margaret Hsing hui.jpg

• Like 4

Cognoscente

I wish that she stayed in Hong Kong or at least did US-based HK films like Yellow-Faced Tiger. Interestingly, she moved to the US in 1973 - the same year that Bruce Lee had intended to return. Had Lee lived, maybe he would have cast her or hooked up with her. Her marriage lasted for three years.

Margaret had a cheeky charm about her which could have been used to great effect had she made a comeback in the '80s or early '90s. I can easily imagine her playing the mother of Rosamund Kwan or Sheila Chan.

02e995010237cea8bf_b.jpg

s-l1600 (21).jpg

02b8f44c058489fc02_b.jpg

s-l1600 (25).jpg

s-l1600 (26).jpg

031333d0ce956bd12a_b.jpg

yell low.jpg

s-l1600 - 2021-06-18T094646.379.jpg

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
13 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

bf425460a36f5414_b.jpg

Looks like she's trying out for Chun-Li there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Iron_Leopard
27 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

s-l1600 (43).jpg

20a2d6028f312574_b.jpg

daffodils.jpg

pinkpetals.jpg

rk.jpg

s-l1600 - 2021-06-25T085601.519.jpg

s-l1600 (12).jpg

s-l1600 (29).jpg

s-l1600 (68).jpg

s-l1600 (94).jpg

vase.jpg

I love all these old photos you post of past actresses. 

Do you have any of Chin Ping you could post in a thread?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I wonder if it would be possible to create a sub section in the section "martial arts actors and actresses", only devoted to the pictures you post.

Does anyone has any idea of the "real" titles of the above mentioned movies : Happy youth", "Youth at 15 and 20" and "Rivals for fame" ? Are they Shaws' movies under other titles than the ones we are used to ?

• Like 2

Cognoscente
8 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I'm more into Chen Ping than Chin Ping, but you can find pictures of her if you go to eBay and look up the following magazines: Cinemart, Hong Kong Movie News, Shaw Movie News, Golden Movie News and Milky Way.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I wonder if it would be possible to create a sub section in the section "martial arts actors and actresses", only devoted to the pictures you post.

Does anyone has any idea of the "real" titles of the above mentioned movies : Happy youth", "Youth at 15 and 20" and "Rivals for fame" ? Are they Shaws' movies under other titles than the ones we are used to ?

They are all Shaw movies, the official English titles are Happy Youth = JOY OF SPRING, Youth at 15 and 20 = THAT TENDER AGE, Rivals for Fame = SING HIGH SING LOW

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

They are all Shaw movies, the official English titles are Happy Youth = JOY OF SPRING, Youth at 15 and 20 = THAT TENDER AGE, Rivals for Fame = SING HIGH SING LOW

Thank You very much !!

• Like 2