What's considered the final Bruceploitation movie in the original batch (mid-70's - early 80's)?

One Armed Boxer

Question

One Armed Boxer

We know these movies had varying popularity, but I'm curious to know which specific title could definitively be called the last Bruceploitation flick of that era spanning the mid-70's to the early 80's, when the likes of Hong Kong, Korea, and the Philippines were churning them our with alarming regularity?

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Hmmm, ok, after doing some digging I'll put it out there - the 1983 Dragon Lee flick 'Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple'.

OMG, that movie had me cracking up, various scenes. The mustached baddie with the big sword and turkey leg! HAHA!

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

No Retreat, No Surrender?

NRNS came to mind, but even though it features Kim Tai-chung, I don’t consider its main purpose to cash-in on the legacy of Bruce Lee, which was really what Bruceploiation was all about!

Killer Meteor

As we don't have actual Chinese release dates for a lot of these films, it's hard to pin down.

CHINESE STUNTMAN may be the last Bruce Li film (it didn't get released in Hong Kong unti 1984, but probably saw UK release on video some years before),

MARTIAL MONKS OF SHAOLIN TEMPLE or FIVE PATTERN DRAGON CLAWS seem to be the last Dragon Lee films (about 1983)

Bruce Le seemed to be doing them up to about 1990, if this info is correct - http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10164&display_set=eng

One Armed Boxer
37 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Bruce Le seemed to be doing them up to about 1990, if this info is correct - http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=10164&display_set=eng

I think Bruce Le wrapped up his Bruce Lee schtick with 1982’s ‘Bruce Strikes Back’. Even though he didn’t revert to his actual name like Bruce Li did, his 1990 directorial efforts ‘Fire on the Great Wall’ & ‘Black Spot’ to me aren’t really Bruceploitation flicks anymore, even if some western distributors packaged them as such.

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

I don't think that date is right. The dubbing suggests early 80s.

yeah, it was done in early 80's but i think it sat unreleased for years. I first came across it on the code red dvd.

Does They Still Call Me Bruce (1987) count? 

Also, Bruce Le does his Brucesploitation shtick in the Filipino film Future Hunters (1986).

One Armed Boxer
18 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Does They Still Call Me Bruce (1987) count? 

Definitely not!

19 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Also, Bruce Le does his Brucesploitation shtick in the Filipino film Future Hunters (1986).

He does, but that belongs in the Filipino post-apocalyptic genre, not Bruceploitation. I’m talking about movies in which the main actor is attempting to be passed off as Bruce Lee / playing Bruce Lee / blatantly copying Bruce Lee, and those factors in and of themselves are the reason for the movies existence.

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I think Bruce Le wrapped up his Bruce Lee schtick with 1982’s ‘Bruce Strikes Back’.

The Super Gang made the same year. could be another candidate?.

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, saltysam said:

probably falling revenues,which is surprising if so,as we weren't long into the start of the home video boom

I suspect once international sales went down, the game was up. They seemed to sell more to the West, a lot of them don't seem to have played in Hong Kong.

Killer Meteor
52 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Bruce's Last Battle? (1988)

I don't think that date is right. The dubbing suggests early 80s.

Archived