What's considered the final Bruceploitation movie in the original batch (mid-70's - early 80's)?

One Armed Boxer

Question

One Armed Boxer

We know these movies had varying popularity, but I'm curious to know which specific title could definitively be called the last Bruceploitation flick of that era spanning the mid-70's to the early 80's, when the likes of Hong Kong, Korea, and the Philippines were churning them our with alarming regularity?

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Killer Meteor

I do not know where the 1988 date for Bruce's Last Battle came from. The film itself, including the dubbing, sounds no later than 1983.

10 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Going with No Retreat No Surrender 1.

It's already been mentioned. @One Armed Boxer didn't count it because despite having a Bruce Lee clone playing Bruce Lee, the purpose of the film isn't to cash in on the Little Dragon.

14 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Big Boss Untouchable (2002)

I think Dragon Shek films fall outside of the era outlined by @One Armed Boxer. Those would be like neo-Brucesploitation films.

Some of the most likely contenders can be summed up with:

Cameroon Connection (1984)

La Sombra del Judoka contra el Doctor Wong (1985)

Pink Trap (1985) (although the IMDB says that the release year was 1983)

Killer Meteor

A lot of the release dates for these movies are pure guesswork (unless someone has a database of Taiwanese release dates?)

7 hours ago, DrNgor said:

La Sombra del Judoka contra el Doctor Wong (1985)

If you run this Brazilian blog post through Google translator, you can learn more about this cinematic abortion, which apparently steals scenes from the Polly Shang Kuang Ling Feng film Seven to One. Also, the production year may have been 1982, or 1984, or 1985.

http://filmesparadoidos.blogspot.com/2014/04/la-sombra-del-judoka-contra-el-doctor.html

One Armed Boxer
13 hours ago, saltysam said:

Bruce's Last Battle? (1988)

That could well be it.  How ironic that the last Bruceploitation movie was a cut 'n' past job of two other Bruceploitation movies - 'Bruce and the Shoalin Bronzemen' and 'Bruce's Fingers'!  Voted!

10 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

What about the Ho Chung Tao movie Pink Trap(1985)?.

He was no longer mimicking Bruce Lee in this one, similar to his role in 'Dragon Force', here he'd reverted back to his original name and was trying to step out of the Bruceploitation shadow.

15 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The Super Gang made the same year. could be another candidate?.

Bruce Le's hardly in this one, more of a supporting role.

10 hours ago, saltysam said:

Big Boss Untouchable (2002)

About 20 years too late.

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

I do not know where the 1988 date for Bruce's Last Battle came from. The film itself, including the dubbing, sounds no later than 1983.

yes, but i think the question is when did the movie appear, which seems to be around 1988

Killer Meteor
5 minutes ago, saltysam said:

yes, but i think the question is when did the movie appear, which seems to be around 1988

True, but then again, I question that date becuase it's just randomly on some websities.

It's like every single review or listing for Challenge of the Tiger says it is 1980...when the film has footage of a 1982 festival in it!

Not quite but similar to Game Of Death, the star's footage filmed in 72/73, release date of the movie is 1978.

DragonClaws

The 1983 Golden Harvest documentary Bruce Lee The Legend, highlights how Bruceploitation had faded into obscruity. Itself a re-edit of Bruce Lee The Man & The Legend(1973).

Is 1983 the cut off year?, and if so what was the last Bruceploitation movie to be released that year?. Supergang, Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple, Dragon Claws?. Or are there some other title's, we just dont know about yet?.

7 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

What's your thoughts on this one @mpm74?.

Good write up. I had no idea that Ly was HENRY YU YEUNG.

From what I can remember, your reviews sums is up. 

The last time I watched this movie was when it was a new VHS release (1990). I remember being excited about it ("Holy shit, a New fake Bruce Lee movie") <-------- years before I knew the term "Bruceploitation", if it even existed. 

I'm wondering how it would stand today entertainment-wise. Movies that sucked at the time of their release sometimes age, intentionally, like fine wine. Just ask @One Armed Boxer.

Killer Meteor
On 4/5/2020 at 5:54 PM, DrNgor said:

There's something so utterly perfect about Jess Franco and Lina Romay having the final say ib Brucesploitation. 

Well, Harry Alan Towers always said Franco killed Fu Manchu...

These movies just got weirder and more obscure by the end. I remember watching Chinatown Connection years ago wondering what I just watched.

59 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

I wonder why they all stopped by 1983?

probably falling revenues,which is surprising if so,as we weren't long into the start of the home video boom

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, Tower of Death was '81, and to me, put a cap on it as it was the best of them all. I think Bruce Le might have carried on a year or so further.

One Armed Boxer

Hmmm, ok, after doing some digging I'll put it out there - the 1983 Dragon Lee flick 'Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple'.

Archived