The Cub Tiger from Kwang Tung vs Master with Cracked Fingers (aka Snake Fist Fighter)

drunkencrane44

TheKungFuRobber
20 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I’d love to see a custom of Cub Tiger! Thank you for even considering it! Although, I can’t say I agree the washed out colors look better than the correct colors — I would think it would be much better if the colors were as close as possible to the proper colors in all of the footage, however close that is. Your first screengrab above looks way better than the second. Just a thought.

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I really do feel this is a seriously underrated and underknown film, and needs to be celebrated as the worthy starring debut for Jackie that it is. I hope it gets its day in the sun at some point.

Well the German blu rays colours aren’t really a close representation of the original colours at all I don’t think. I just don’t like them. I have no clue what the original colours would have looked like, but the fade on the Cub Tiger print can only be corrected to a certain extent, and my goal is to keep things consistent when the HD footage is intercut, and correcting the rest of the movie to still look good and consistent, so I’ve gone with a sort of sandy flesh tones and a greenish sort of colour profile for the shadows. So for the footage I can work with that doesn’t intercut that’s the kind of feel I am going for and like. It’s really subjective. There’s little I can really work with to get any clue what the original colours were like so I’m going to be going with what I think pleases me to look at and I really like the choice I’m going for. But like I said, all of that is straightforward. Hardest part is deciding how I think the opening scene which is set at night should look.

Master with Cracked Fingers, when I do that custom I’m going to keep the colours stock. Since the new scenes mellow out the film, I think it suits the bright and lively colour timings. I think my colour correction choices for Cub Toger help set contrast between the two movies better, Cub Tiger being dark and gritty and Master with Cracked Fingers being a much more fun little retelling of the story. 

For the title of the blu ray itself, I’m split on what title to use on the artwork. Whether I should call it a “double feature” disc or stick with Master with Cracked Fingers. I’m leaning towards the latter.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Well the German blu rays colours aren’t really a close representation of the original colours at all I don’t think. I just don’t like them. I have no clue what the original colours would have looked like, but the fade on the Cub Tiger print can only be corrected to a certain extent, and my goal is to keep things consistent when the HD footage is intercut, and correcting the rest of the movie to still look good and consistent, so I’ve gone with a sort of sandy flesh tones and a greenish sort of colour profile for the shadows. So for the footage I can work with that doesn’t intercut that’s the kind of feel I am going for and like. It’s really subjective. There’s little I can really work with to get any clue what the original colours were like so I’m going to be going with what I think pleases me to look at and I really like the choice I’m going for. But like I said, all of that is straightforward. Hardest part is deciding how I think the opening scene which is set at night should look.

Master with Cracked Fingers, when I do that custom I’m going to keep the colours stock. Since the new scenes mellow out the film, I think it suits the bright and lively colour timings. I think my colour correction choices for Cub Toger help set contrast between the two movies better, Cub Tiger being dark and gritty and Master with Cracked Fingers being a much more fun little retelling of the story. 

For the title of the blu ray itself, I’m split on what title to use on the artwork. Whether I should call it a “double feature” disc or stick with Master with Cracked Fingers. I’m leaning towards the latter.

I can dig that, makes sense. One thing that desperately needs to be done for Cub Tiger is proper subtitles, if not for the entire film then at least for the numerous bits where they’re cut off at the bottom of the print and unreadable. Like was done with the horrendous Rarescope DVD. That would make your reconstruction even more valuable. I really like this film and am greatly looking forward to the results of your most appreciated efforts!

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 4

TheKungFuRobber
19 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

I can dig that, makes sense. One thing that desperately needs to be done for Cub Tiger is proper subtitles, if not for the entire film then at least for the numerous bits where they’re cut off at the bottom of the print and unreadable. Like was done with the horrendous Rarescope DVD. That would make your reconstruction even more valuable. I really like this film and am greatly looking forward to the results of your most appreciated efforts!

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Of course I'll be doing that. That's the easy part to do really.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

While browsing the internet about this "Master with Cracked Finger [such a wicked name for a movie], I found this link about the movie is going to be released by Studio One Entertainment.

I looked on their website and searched but nothing was found.

Strange this website mentions the company. Anyone heard of this? 

https://cityonfire.com/snake-fist-fighter-master-with-cracked-fingers-blu-ray-signal-one/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

While browsing the internet about this "Master with Cracked Finger [such a wicked name for a movie], I found this link about the movie is going to be released by Studio One Entertainment.

I looked on their website and searched but nothing was found.

Strange this website mentions the company. Anyone heard of this? 

https://cityonfire.com/snake-fist-fighter-master-with-cracked-fingers-blu-ray-signal-one/

Signal One, UK company, been around a few years. Usually associated with decent but delayed releases. Hopefully they have a better source than the german release, which is HD but heavily DNR'd.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Ah right. I prefer a crisp look, in HD rather than a film with noise.

I did look up DNR on Google but the only result was Do Not Resuscitate. I knew that certainly wasn't the answer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ironfistedmonk
3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I did look up DNR on Google but the only result was Do Not Resuscitate.

Yeah Do Not Resuscitate sounds about right for this movie 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3