Alone in a movie theater, which Shaw Brothers film would you watch?

SMK

1 hour ago, ShaolinMapache said:

Gotta be The Black Tavern. I love that one. 

Once again, I couldn't quote the poste, but thanks for sharing, it's a great one, and nice choice about the movie.

• Like 2

I want to add, this is how I saw Force Awakens back in 2015. Everyone I had to go with had either already seen it or didnt want to. I looked for showtimes very surprised to see that the movie was even still in theaters. My coworker that I worked alongside kept raving about how great it was and how Id have to see it in 3d because of how amazing the effects were.

Bought a late night showing. Went in by myself, to find an empty theater. I divided the seats to find the direct center, and sat with my 3d glasses on (lol). Left the theater without seeing a face, only one other car in the parking lot...

So I realize this is beside the point to the question of the thread, but would the Shaw experience be more personal, and better in an empty theater or with a more reactive audience? I was never around for kung fu theaters, so I couldnt say either way myself.

• Like 2

On April 6, 2020 at 6:09 PM, Tex Killer said:

Then it would be jimmy wang yu starring movie assassin.

I would have to take that back then. As the epic nature of that movie doesnt provide larger set scenes like a was picturing. I should have known better per the typical smaller sized sets used in Shaw films. Also appears to utilize less extravagancy and color schemes in the set design. But again this is coming from my impression by just having  seen the trailer. 

• Like 4

On 4/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, Koravec said:

Im not well versed on Shaws like other members here, but Id have to think it should be some of the more epic and larger films since it would be seen in a theater. (Unless I find that Im not all that into the more epic features.)

Though I really wouldnt mind catching 18 Bronzemen, Descendent of The Sun on the big screen, or 5 Element Ninjas as someone had previously stated. Sound like incredible theater experiences come to think of it.

I wish I could erase them all from my mind & go back to watching them the first time .. you are in for a treat.. so many great movies.

• Like 5

On 4/9/2020 at 8:09 PM, Koravec said:

So I realize this is beside the point to the question of the thread, but would the Shaw experience be more personal, and better in an empty theater or with a more reactive audience? I was never around for kung fu theaters, so I couldnt say either way myself.

I’ve only seen Kung fu movies in packed theatres,namely the old Scala in London courtesy of Rick Baker and what an experience that was.When the good guys appeared on screen everybody cheers,when the bad guy appeared,cheers followed by boos and when the fighting started it was like being at a live sporting event,just incredible.So I would choose packed theatre.

• Like 3

Sexy Girls of Denm.....oops, ah I mean Five Venoms.  I chose Five Venoms only because of the eeriness of the music that would really contribute to the mood.  I have seen Come Drink with Me, Water Margin and New One-Armed Swordsman on the big screen in Chinatown, had a chance to see Avenging Eagle but could not make it.....Sadly these theaters have been torn down or re-purposed.  The last theater to go down was Golden Harvest in 1995. :(

Fivedeadlyvenoms.jpg

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard
6 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Sexy Girls of Denm.....oops, ah I mean Five Venoms.  I chose Five Venoms only because of the eeriness of the music that would really contribute to the mood.  I have seen Come Drink with Me, Water Margin and New One-Armed Swordsman on the big screen in Chinatown, had a chance to see Avenging Eagle but could not make it.....Sadly these theaters have been torn down or re-purposed.  The last theater to go down was Golden Harvest in 1995. :(

Fivedeadlyvenoms.jpg

Wowzers. Those are some damn classics you've seen on the big screen. Definitely jealous. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Wowzers. Those are some damn classics you've seen on the big screen. Definitely jealous. 

Luckily these were re-released so I was able to see them on the big screen. Near the end, the proprietors knew Chinatown was getting a makeover and did not want to pay big bucks to renovate.  So they decided to run some of the classic films rather than pay higher prices to show the newer material. This gave some of the laser disc/dvd rental stores business in turn as well.

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 4

Five Venoms, Kid from Kwangtung, and The Duel would make a great theater experience on Halloween night just for the  spooky atmosphere...

• Like 4