Alone in a movie theater, which Shaw Brothers film would you watch?

SMK

I am not asking which is your favorite Shaw Brothers film, but, during these times, theaters all over the world are closed. You have the opportunity to watch 1 single Shaw  Brothers movie of your choice on the big screen, in all its ShawScope glory, which film would you choose?

Picture this, you're sitting in your favorite seat in the theater. I'm assuming since you would be the only one, you would probably choose to sit in the center row, center seat. Volume of the film is at the level you'd prefer, for me, it would be loud! I want those kung fu hits to produce enough bass where I can feel it in my seat. You can have all the refreshments of your choosing, hot dog, soda, candy, popcorn, whatever you want. All that is left to do, is pick the film of your choice and enjoy. Yes, it would be FILM and not a digital version of the movie... 

Which Shaw Brothers movie would you choose?

SB-Cinema.gif

*Animated GIF I made just for this post, feel free to use it.

• Like 9

Just now, Cpfrombv said:

Clan of the White Lotus. 

Oh yes, great choice. Unfortunately I've never experienced a classic SB film on the big screen, Clan of the White Lotus would be incredible to see.

• Like 4

Well,  it's a very difficult question you ask, here !!

The first movie that comes to my mine is The heroic ones (Vengeance isn't far behind...).

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Well,  it's a very difficult question you ask, here !!

The first movie that comes to my mine is The heroic ones (Vengeance isn't far behind...).

Very nice. The closest I've come to watching a SB movie in a theater, is when Quentin Tarantino included the SB opening logo sequence at the beginning of Kill Bill. :coveredlaugh

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SMK said:

Very nice. The closest I've come to watching a SB movie in a theater, is when Quentin Tarantino included the SB opening logo sequence at the beginning of Kill Bill. 

I had the luck to see Virgins of the seven seas and The twelve gold medallions in a theater and these movies have had a special  place in my heart since then.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ShawAngela said:

I had the luck to see Virgins of the seven seas and The twelve gold medallions in a theater and these movies have had a special  place in my heart since then.

heart love GIF by Rabano Studio

• Like 4

I grew up watching Shaws on the big screen so for me it would be which one I would want to re-watch on the big screen.

For a single film it would be "The 14 Amazons" - that movie is a big screen viewing movie.

• Like 6

Omni Dragon

Well now, this is difficult to decide.

5 hours ago, SMK said:

I am not asking which is your favorite Shaw Brothers film

But picking my personal favourite, Crippled Avengers, would make sense though... I mean I obviously like it a lot and seeing it on a big screen would be an experience.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is another one I'd consider since to me at least it's kind of the quintessential Shaw, well in terms of kung fu movies at least.

Come Drink with Me I like the cinematography in this one particularly in terms of the composition of shots. 

Tiger Boy or anything assumed lost just to see it.

• Like 6

Shaolivevil

This is indeed a difficult question. There are so many great Shaw flicks that I would love to see on the big screen but out of all those movies, it's a strong tie between either THE DUEL or FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS.

• Like 7

The Magic Blade. I remember watching this on DVD and thinking "this is great, but this would be downright amazing in 35mm". It's got the kind of atmosphere and visuals that a film print + theatre screen could enhance.

I've seen dozens of karate and samurai films in 35mm, but sadly never a SB film.

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

How wonderful would that be! I have not seen a Shaw or any other classic production in cinema and can only try to imagine the effect of the big silver screen. Sweet'n'salty popcorn, please!

Hard choice but as NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN was the first Shaw I saw, my first movie from that era AND I like it anyways, yeah that would be my choice. 

• Like 4

Eight diagram,big battle at the beginning I think would be impressive on the big screen and Lau Kar Fei vs Ko Fei pole duel which in my opinion is one of the best pole sequences put on film.

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

Changed my mind, Black Tavern.

Like I said, I saw tons of there movies on the widescreen with fresh prints from HK, so this is one I missed. Delightful Forest is another.

• Like 5

Masked Avengers. While shaolin temple and 5 shaolin masters might be little bit better movies imo but imagine seeing that amazing end fight in cinema and hearing trident clash in big sound system...:pandakungfu:bs_smile:

• Like 6

The Shaolin temple .. it’s got them all in .. David Chiang, fu Sheng, chi kuan chun .. the list goes on. 

• Like 7

Although I love so many SB films, this actually wasn’t a hard choice for me.

Arguably my favorite film is also one that would just be awesome in a theatre, The Five Fingers of Death.

With the epic adventurous feel, brutal moments, and sound effects/music, I think that would be a great one to see in a theatre.

The next one I thought of was Eight Diagram Pole Fighter.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 4

Im not well versed on Shaws like other members here, but Id have to think it should be some of the more epic and larger films since it would be seen in a theater. (Unless I find that Im not all that into the more epic features.)

Though I really wouldnt mind catching 18 Bronzemen, Descendent of The Sun on the big screen, or 5 Element Ninjas as someone had previously stated. Sound like incredible theater experiences come to think of it.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Koravec said:

Im not well versed on Shaws like other members here, but Id have to think it should be some of the more epic and larger films since it would be seen in a theater. (Unless I find that Im not all that into the more epic features.)

Then it would be jimmy wang yu starring movie assassin.

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 5

Heroes Two. But why settle for one movie, when you can do an all day screening like back in the day. From morning to night of nothing but classic kung fu movies. I wish I had gotten to experience the kung fu craze in the late 70s and 80s.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

I wish I had gotten to experience the kung fu craze in the late 70s and 80s.

Definitely. Me too.

• Like 5

I saw the Jet Li film Martial Arts of Shaolin on the big screen,I know that was only a Shaw Bros co production but it was still impressive,I saw this along with Mr Vampire 4 starring Chin Kar Lok.Id never seen any of the Previous Jet Li Temple movies before and loved it.In fact I’d never seen a movie with all those Wu Shu practitioners before and loved what I saw,thought it was amazing(Vampire 4 was quality also)

• Like 3

Buddha's Palm Being able to watch this on the big screen would probably amplify its craziness and my astonishment by five fold. 

• Like 4