Sons of the Neon Night (????) - Juno Mak

laagi

A sudden explosion which killed a wealthy Hong Kong businessmen has drawn the wrestle between drug traffickers and those against drugs. The heir of the drug trafficking syndicate does not hesitate to create social chaos, with his sole reason of believing “a world without drugs”, which is actually more terrible and more chaotic than imagined. (Wikipedia)

Apparently this movie has been left in limbo and now has a (potential) release date for 2020. All star cast including Tony Leung Ka-fai, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Sean Lau, Louis Koo and Gao Yuanyuan.

For now here's a behind the scenes posted 2 years ago. Looks very promising.

Source: https://asianmoviepulse.com/2019/11/whatever-happened-to-juno-maks-film-sons-of-the-neon-night-the-only-clue-is-a-making-of/

• Like 5

Thank you for the update. Since this new(?) Juno Mak movie features Louis Koo, I thought I would ask if you or anyone else has any further information about a sci-fi fantasy movie he filmed a couple years ago called Warriors of Future. It was supposed to be released last year but I've heard nothing about why it was delayed. Of course, this situation with the corona virus has delayed everything but this movie caught my attention again when a new trailer was released a few days ago.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, laagi said:

@Yihetuan I suggest you just make a new thread for the movie. Best way to get attention from fellow members... Who may or may not know more about it.

Good idea. Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

Super Ninja
11 hours ago, laagi said:

So apparently this will finally see the light of day this year. Anybody else still excited?

After Rigor Mortis any project that has Juno Mak's name signed to it makes me excited. 

• Like 1

After almost 5 years of release hell, 2023 might be the year. Not that I'm holding my breath :(

For now here's another BTS video from 2018. I really hope we get the chance to see this eventually.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, laagi said:

After almost 5 years of release hell, 2023 might be the year.

I hate to be a pessimist, but after the new security laws that were passed last year specifically targeting the film industry, I don't think this one will ever see the light of day. What makes it all the more painful is that we know it's already been made, unlike say 'Election 3' which at least never got past the planning stages, allowing us to all move on knowing it will never happen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I hate to be a pessimist, but after the new security laws that were passed last year specifically targeting the film industry, I don't think this one will ever see the light of day. What makes it all the more painful is that we know it's already been made, unlike say 'Election 3' which at least never got past the planning stages, allowing us to all move on knowing it will never happen.

That's infuriating to say the least! Well I still have an ounce of hope but yeah it looks like we'll never get to see this :(

@One Armed Boxer Do you know if this ever had a screening at all? Or has it just been rotting away in a vault since its completion. Honestly at this point I'd even settle for a pirate leak. Just to stick it to the censors!

Would also be interesting to know who owns the rights to it. Selling the movie to have it published outside of Hong Kong shouldn't pose any problem, right!? Or is it a similar dead end situation like "Bui Doi Cho Lon" which at least we got to watch a workprint of.

• Like 1

Just a short follow up @One Armed Boxer according to a recent interview (November) with Juno Mak Sons of the Neon Night is allegedly in post-production and roughly 30% done. So... not sure what to make of it but at least this gives me a glimmer of hope. Fingers crossed that post doesn't mean censorship authorities will mingle in the process!

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
15 hours ago, laagi said:

Selling the movie to have it published outside of Hong Kong shouldn't pose any problem, right!?

That I'm not sure of, but I think for certain if Juno Mak was to continue living in Hong Kong and the movie was released that way, he probably wouldn't be making life very easy for himself.

6 hours ago, laagi said:

Just a short follow up @One Armed Boxer according to a recent interview (November) with Juno Mak Sons of the Neon Night is allegedly in post-production and roughly 30% done.

Ok, so the 4 year period from 2018 - 2022 resulted in 30% of post-production being completed, so based on my calculations hopefully we should be able to see it at some point around 2031? :tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Ok, so the 4 year period from 2018 - 2022 resulted in 30% of post-production being completed, so based on my calculations hopefully we should be able to see it at some point around 2031? :tongueout

Interesting enough most of the post according to the interview includes dubbing the actors!? Kind of weird or did I miss something here?

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

@Mike Leeder mentioned yesterday in a Facebook post that the last he'd heard was that Juno Mak wanted to do re-shoots, but bringing the cast back together with their multiple conflicting schedules was proving to be a considerable challenge.

I'm not sure how much of a stretch this theory is, but if he's wanting to do re-shoots and is dubbing the actors, could it be the case that he's ensuring it'll get past the Mainland censors so it gets distribution, and including a Mandarin language track (if I recall correctly it was shot in Cantonese)?

• Like 2

Yihetuan
On 3/10/2021 at 10:18 AM, laagi said:

So apparently this will finally see the light of day this year. Anybody else still excited?

After several false starts (7 fucking years!), it really does appear this movie will be showing at the end of year (December) according to this article.

https://www.hk01.com/電影/1038521/風林火山-有消息年底上畫-歷時七年市場極期待但業界指有隱憂

The article also mentions another film with Louis Koo that will be released and that's the Wilson Yip directed, The Dream, the Bubble and the Shadow.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

After several false starts (7 fucking years!), it really does appear this movie will be showing at the end of year (December) according to this article.

https://www.hk01.com/電影/1038521/風林火山-有消息年底上畫-歷時七年市場極期待但業界指有隱憂

The article also mentions another film with Louis Koo that will be released and that's the Wilson Yip directed, The Dream, the Bubble and the Shadow.

Unless I see hard prove which means an actual poster, teaser or god-forbid a trailer I don't believe anything in regards to this movie.

But appreciate the sign of life for this brother!

PandaPawPaw

This looks good and it's been a long ass time since I've watched anything with Takeshi Kaneshiro in!

On 12/24/2022 at 4:38 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Ah wise one, I see you went to the Steiner math of schooling................

:P