Historical fantasy films like Daimajin

Yihetuan

Can anyone recommend more films similar in theme to Daimajin and The Demon of Mount Oe? By that I mean movies that have kaiju themes but are set within traditional period drama or based on Japanese legends. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on your examples, you might find these of interest:

Orochi, the Eight-Headed Dragon (1994)

Sakuya - The Slayer of Demons (2000)

Moon Over Tao (1997)

Sword of Alexander (2007)

The Yokai Monsters series:

Yokai Monsters: One Hundred Monsters (1968)

Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare (1968)

Yokai Monsters: Along With Ghosts (1969)

I don't know if you'd be interested in any of the samurai cat-ghost movies made in the 1950s and 1960s.  I've got a list of a few that were available from grey sources, if you're interested.

Dororo is a 2007 Japanese fantasy movie with demons.  Released in the US by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, available on Amazon.

The Great Yokai War, or Yokai Daisenso, directed by Takashi Miike, 2005, released in the US by Tokyo Shock, available on Amazon.

Legend of the Eight Samurai, or Satomi hakken-den, 1983, a samurai fantasy starring Sonny Chiba and Hiroyuki Sanada, available on Amazon.

The Magic Serpent, aka Kairyu daikessen, 1966, a kaiju-ninja fantasy, imdb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060579/ with a kaiju fight on Youtube - 

@whitesnake, thank you for the recommendations & listing the US label that put it out on dvd.  Very helpful guide to aid me in tracking down these movies. That Magic Serpent looks like it's right up my alley and it's a bonus that the entire movie is up on youtube.

Thank U GIF by Amanda

Talking about Dororo, was this movie supposed to have sequels ? I remember that when I watched it, it ended with something like "12 (or another number, I don't remember) are remaining" and I was absolutely convinced that there would be sequels, but I never saw them seeing the light of the day...

I don't know if the live action movie Dororo was intended to have sequels.  If it was more successful, maybe there would have been.  More than you ever wanted to know about Dororo - The entire anime TV series box set (26 episodes?, 1969, b&w, Eng. sub, from the manga by Osamu Tezuka) is available on Amazon.com (Region 1, released in North America in 2016 by Discotek Media).  The anime series has a definite ending.  The original Dororo manga series was published in pb in English by Vertical in 2012.  It's also on Amazon.com.   I also see on Amazon.com - The Legend of Dororo and Hyakkimaru Vol.1, paperback, published by U.S. manga publisher Seven Seas, in English, out on June 9, 2020.  "A modern remake of Osamu Tezuka's legendary samurai tale about reclaiming stolen humanity - and don't miss the stunning 2019 anime!"  Sounds like revisionist crap.  According to Amazon, the 2019 anime is available on Amazon Prime, 24 episodes, and aired the first half of 2019.  It looks like all the 2019 Dororo episodes may be available on Youtube with English subs. 2019 Amazon Prime series opening - 

Archived