Wuxia Recommendations (1985 - Present)

Guest daTOAD

I'll have to check out Swordsman 1 some time. I don't think Swordsman 2 is one of Jet's best performances, certainly not for his fighting, but I do like him in it. For me it's all about Brigitte Lin. I am completely mesmerized when she's on screen.

Perhaps if I watch it in a version that *isn't* dubbed in Hmong, I'll like it more. May I assume that the Miramax "Legend of the Swordsman" version took out the score and the "Hero of Heroes" song?

Morgoth Bauglir

I haven't watched the Miramax dub in years but I can still hear it clear as day in my head. It's a memorable dub because it is so awful. I don't remember a lot about the music. When Brigitte Lin appears I can't hear anything I just go into a trance.

I'll have to check out Swordsman 1 some time. I don't think Swordsman 2 is one of Jet's best performances, certainly not for his fighting, but I do like him in it. For me it's all about Brigitte Lin. I am completely mesmerized when she's on screen.
:khi7f:

I haven't watched the Miramax dub in years but I can still hear it clear as day in my head. It's a memorable dub because it is so awful. I don't remember a lot about the music. When Brigitte Lin appears I can't hear anything I just go into a trance.
:yociexp66:

A goddess.

It is said that when she retired HK cinema went into decline. Check the timelines, ha ha.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'll have to check some of these out.

I enjoyed The Curse of the Golden Flower because of Chow Yun-Fat. He seemed he was having a ball playing such a bastard.

True Legend, not keen on the later half. I am not familiar with the story of Beggar Su, but I felt the arena sequence was in the wrong movie.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

One Armed Boxer
I think "The Shadowless Sword" is often overlooked. Granted, it's Korean so might not be officially classed as wuxia, but it definitely has the same elements as other wuxia films.

Agreed, and ironically I reviewed this just a couple of days ago -

http://www.cityonfire.com/shadowless-sword-2005-review-the-legend-of-the-shadowless-sword/

One Armed Boxer

A back-to-back hat-trick of posts spanning 4 years!  Whoever said there's no love for new wave wuxia on these forums?:tongueout

For those who do like their slices of high flying action and billowing silk, I recently reviewed the 1994 genre entry, 'The Dragon Chronicles: The Maidens of Heavenly Mountain'.  Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-dragon-chronicles-the-maidens-of-heavenly-mountain-1994-review-demi-gods-and-semi-devils/

• Like 3

• Administrator
7 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

A back-to-back hat-trick of posts spanning 4 years!  Whoever said there's no love for new wave wuxia on these forums?:tongueout

For those who do like their slices of high flying action and billowing silk, I recently reviewed the 1994 genre entry, 'The Dragon Chronicles: The Maidens of Heavenly Mountain'.  Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-dragon-chronicles-the-maidens-of-heavenly-mountain-1994-review-demi-gods-and-semi-devils/

Good review for a not-so-good-movie.

• Like 2