Wuxia Recommendations (1985 - Present)

Guest daTOAD

Guest daTOAD

just saw 7 Swords.very impressed. got me jonesing for some new age Wuxia[loved Hero hated House of Flying Daggers]. saw an ad for a movie called Banquet-looks good, will get it. can anyone reccomend some new wuxia for me? thanks.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Not much of a selection of "NEW" wuxia films to choose from. You've named the majority of them already. How bout "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"!? ;) Most of the reviews of "The Banquet" that Ive ran accrossed were positive, but they all said there was very little action. I thought "The Promise" was a pretty good flick. I heard alot of mixed reviews on it, but I enjoyed it myself (worth a rent). I didnt like "Curse Of The Golden Flower", avoid that one. "Jade Warrior" is a Finland/China co-production that has been getting good reviews. There is also some new Korean/Japanese swordplay films that are worth checking out: "Shadowless Sword", "Bichunmoo", "Legend Of The Evil Lake", "Musa", "Shinobi", "Sword In The Moon", "Azumi". How new do you want them to be? Lots of good new wave wuxia came out in the late 80's & early 90's: "Fire Dragon", "Swordsman Trilogy", "Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy", "Dragon Inn", "Blade Of Fury", "Bride With White Hair" ect... If youre talking 2000 or newer, its slim pickens.

Guest jmungus

HOFD- first time: YAY :D

subsequent viewings: YAWN |I

"the restless (jungcheon)" is coming out on dvd (R3) one of these days

more or less by "the MUSA* production team" (*luv that one).

thumb.bmp

http://www.asiandb.com/store/detail.pfm?num=6449

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929261/

having the impression its very heavy on the fantasy-action as opposed to martial arts-laden wuxia tho.

u can download the official trailer ie here (proper resolution):

http://rapidshare.com/files/31285995/restless.trailer.jung_tr_700k.AVI.html

these (@youtube) are interesting too:

(official#2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwih_7p-Y24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA9mPYegzzI

great stuff if u ask me. but thats not exactly the kf fan in me talking.

Guest HungKuen

I happen to love this new wave of Wuxia movies - Crouching Tiger, Hero, Seven Swords and The Banquet are all great if you ask me. I haven't seen Curse of the Golden Flower yet, but I didn't like House of Flying Daggers that much. And The Promise was terrible.

Anyone know of any upcoming Wuxia movies?

Btw, I recomend the Finnish/Chinese semi-wuxia movie Jade Warrior.

I find that when it comes to modern movies, I generally prefer the fantasy wuxia type flicks to the straight martial arts films. (Of course there are exceptions)

Could you all recommend me some films like this? I recently watched Journey to the West: Conquering The Demons and Woochi The Demonslayer and enjoyed them both, the former more than the latter.

I haven't seen much modern stuff at all so I'm open to pretty much anything.

I find that when it comes to modern movies, I generally prefer the fantasy wuxia type flicks to the straight martial arts films.[...]

Could you all recommend me some films like this? [...]

I haven't seen much modern stuff at all so I'm open to pretty much anything.

When you say modern, do you mean 2010's? 2000's? 1990's?

Assuming 2000's:

Chinese Odyssey 2002 (comedy)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Hero

House of Flying Daggers

Tracing Shadow (comedy)

The Duel

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate

Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon

Reign of Assassins

Wu Xia

(the first half of) True Legend

Ones I didn't like, but you might:

14 Blades

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame

The Guillotines

Tai Chi 0, Tai Chi Hero

The Four, The Four II

The Storm Warriors

Seven Swords

Wu Dang

An Empress and the Warriors

The Banquet

Curse of the Golden Flower

The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom

The Sorcerer and the White Snake

Haven't seen yet:

Brotherhood of Blades

The Four III

Princess and Seven Kung Fu Masters (comedy)

I know I'm missing some, but it's a start.

Flying swords of Dragon Gate is very good.

The guardsman is superb.

I don't remember the year of Last hurrah for chivalry and if it fits what you want, but it was good too, as well as Hand of death with Tan Tao Liang.

Hey Xianzai, I'm not criticizing, but I have to ask how you could like the 2nd Detective Dee, but not the 1st. Also I thought 14 Blades, the 2 Tai Chi Hero's, The Four 1 & 2, Seven Swords and Wu Dang, while not neccessarily absolute classics were all pretty good films.

I can't talk about the others you didn't like because I haven't seen them.

Peace

Milodan

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Out of what's been mentioned so far, I've only seen Wu Xia, Hero, Detective Dee: Mystery of Phantom Flame, and Seven Swords... and that is in order of favorite to least favorite.

I actually loved Wu Xia and Hero, and think Detectove Dee was fun. Seven Swords was a little drawn out and convoluted to me though.

I've had House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden a Flower shelved for years but haven't watched either.

masterofoneinchpunch
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Out of what's been mentioned so far, I've only seen Wu Xia, Hero, Detective Dee: Mystery of Phantom Flame, and Seven Swords... and that is in order of favorite to least favorite.

I actually loved Wu Xia and Hero, and think Detectove Dee was fun. Seven Swords was a little drawn out and convoluted to me though.

I've had House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden a Flower shelved for years but haven't watched either.

What is interesting is that Tsui Hark intended Seven Swords to be a much longer film. That is part of the reason for its spottiness (though I have not idea how coherent or well the longer version would have played.)

I love both House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower (well more like for this one.) The cinematography is quite good (and I'm a Zhang Yimou fan.) If you liked Hero I think you would enjoy the next two of Zhang's wuxia trilogy.

I would say the first 2/3s of True Legend :D.

What is interesting is that Tsui Hark intended Seven Swords to be a much longer film. That is part of the reason for its spottiness (though I have not idea how coherent or well the longer version would have played.)

According to the commentary on the DD disc, it was about four hours long originally. Too bad they had to cut it down so much. Lots of potential and a great finale. Despite the fact that it's kind of a mess, I was hoping for sequels, especially when I learned what they planned to do with the characters.

masterofoneinchpunch
According to the commentary on the DD disc, it was about four hours long originally. Too bad they had to cut it down so much. Lots of potential and a great finale. Despite the fact that it's kind of a mess, I was hoping for sequels, especially when I learned what they planned to do with the characters.

I agree. I would rather have a longer film that is not a mess, than losing the coherence. I wonder if Hark should have put up a bigger fight to get a longer version out (I doubt he would have got the four-hour version out -- not counting director's cut which he should have done as well.)

I know its not post 2000 but I'd highly recommend tsui harks the blade especially if u liked the visuals of seven swords. Also flying swords of dragon gate, it might not be the best story but the visuals are awesome especially if u can watch it in 3d ;)

I know its not post 2000 but I'd highly recommend tsui harks the blade especially if u liked the visuals of seven swords. Also flying swords of dragon gate, it might not be the best story but the visuals are awesome especially if u can watch it in 3d ;)

Yeah The 3D effects in 'Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate' are amazing and probably the best I've seen in 3D.

Morgoth Bauglir

Have you seen the TV series with Vincent Zhao? I enjoyed it more than the movie.

Hey Xianzai, I'm not criticizing, but I have to ask how you could like the 2nd Detective Dee, but not the 1st. Also I thought 14 Blades, the 2 Tai Chi Hero's, The Four 1 & 2, Seven Swords and Wu Dang, while not neccessarily absolute classics were all pretty good films.

No problem; In the years I've spent on film forums I've found what films a person likes or dislikes has more to do with the person than any objective quality of the films. It's normal for reasonable people to disagree on the merits of a film.

1st Detective Dee -- Didn't grab me emotionally, seemed kind of by-the-numbers, and I don't care for large-scale contraptions in wuxia. The second had a fun Holmes and Watson aspect to it, and I found the film more engaging than the first.

I thought The Four 2 was better than the first movie, but neither were as good as the TV series.

The other films didn't make enough of an impression on me to give you any specific reasons at this point.

Keep Green Snake from Seasonal on your radar. Great movie. Right up there with SSWRB 93 and Swordsman 2.

I don't care for Swordsman 2, but Green Snake has Zhao Wen-Zhuo and Yuen Bun as an action director, so I'll check it out soon.

Morgoth Bauglir

One thing to keep in mind about the 3 movies i mentioned is that if you are a fight junkie and always expect spectacular fight choreography like The Sword and Shaolin Prince, then these movies may not do it for you. I think the overall action design is incredible, but I find myself constantly revisiting them to watch the non action scenes.

One thing to keep in mind about the 3 movies i mentioned is that if you are a fight junkie and always expect spectacular fight choreography like The Sword and Shaolin Prince, then these movies may not do it for you. I think the overall action design is incredible, but I find myself constantly revisiting them to watch the non action scenes.

I liked the first Swordsman film a lot, but I don't care for the second one. It was a total waste of Jet Li's physical skills. Kung Fu Cult Master showed that you could put Jet Li in a wire-heavy movie with a convoluted plot and still come out with something entertaining.

I think "The Shadowless Sword" is often overlooked. Granted, it's Korean so might not be officially classed as wuxia, but it definitely has the same elements as other wuxia films.

Morgoth Bauglir
I liked the first Swordsman film a lot, but I don't care for the second one. It was a total waste of Jet Li's physical skills. Kung Fu Cult Master showed that you could put Jet Li in a wire-heavy movie with a convoluted plot and still come out with something entertaining.

I'll have to check out Swordsman 1 some time. I don't think Swordsman 2 is one of Jet's best performances, certainly not for his fighting, but I do like him in it. For me it's all about Brigitte Lin. I am completely mesmerized when she's on screen.