Sabata 1969

NoKUNGFUforYU

NoKUNGFUforYU

Such a weird coincidence, but I watched this the other night and I noticed acrobatics and darts and all sorts of little things that were in Hong Kong films of the time. I have to wonder if this was simply a form of trying to make these movies more exciting without the budget. At one point one of the bad guys shots twigs so they form a cross. The silent "Indian" jumps off roofs and flies unto an escaping bad guy, knocking him out. While it seems unlikely that HK films were an influence, I have to wonder if the Ninja and Zatoichi films were seen there? Anyway, fun viewing, even if I didn't finish. I had just seen it a few years ago. Also, nice touch, the villain reads a book by a well known American racist, Thomas Dew in one part, sealing his asshole credentials.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
5 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Such a weird coincidence, but I watched this the other night and I noticed acrobatics and darts and all sorts of little things that were in Hong Kong films of the time.

Don't quote me, but I think they hired members of an Italian circus to try and stir up the old Spaghetti Western formula. I have the first two movies on DVD, but never seeked out Part 3 with Yul Bryner.

NoKUNGFUforYU
19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Don't quote me, but I think they hired members of an Italian circus to try and stir up the old Spaghetti Western formula. I have the first two movies on DVD, but never seeked out Part 3 with Yul Bryner.

That makes sense. Maybe the whole acrobatic vibe was an international phenomenon, people tired of guns, guns, guns. 

Rodolphe Dux

So much good movies featuring Lee Van cleef. Sabata movies are fun but if I have to pick some of my favorites I'll say Day of Anger and Death rides a horse. Those are spag western masterpieces. Honorable mention to Grand Duel and The big gundown though!

Archived