Giri / Haji (Netflix - Yakuza)

laagi

Giving this a little push as I'm currenly watching Tokyo Vice and this is next ;) Anyobody got a chance to already watch this? Thoughts, comments? 

• Like 2

For what it's worth I've really enjoyed the series.

It's exceptionally well acted; Will Sharpe "Rodney" won a BAFTA TV award for Best Supporting Actor. At times beautifully and artistically captured. A soundtrack that is barely there but when it is always seems to be right on point. A story which kept me at least until the last episode very much engaged on what's happening on screen.

Fair warning though this is not an action or crime series. At least I wouldn't call it that. It is first and foremost a character driven drama. There is however a rather brutal shootout in one of the episodes but that's about it. So be sure what to expect.

It's a darn shame that unfortunately the series kind of misses the landing to a great build up in the very last episode. It's not entirely bad but it feels like such a lackluster and bland ending. Also some artistic choices which seem to have sparked quite the outrage among some viewers. It's okay for me but I can see it being off putting. Also for an overall quality looking series there's some really poor CGI here and there. Nothing too bad but again it just doesn't correspond with the rest. 

Overall if you're looking for a quality character driven drama with a japanese flavour this is well worth checking out!

• Like 2