Movie Sountrack Question's

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Here are a few of Kung Fu movie soundtrack questions, I've been unable to find the answer's to.

Can anyone identify the song that starts around 1-minute 12-secs mark, in the following promotional trailer for Bolo(1979). I'm not sure who sings's the song?, or if it's in Cantonese or Manderin?. The song appears a lot in the movie, it's pretty much Bolo's characters theme song. Are the lyrics related to the characters in the movie?. Was this written and performed by the movies composer Stanley Chow Fook-Leung?. I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me out?.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that it's a special song for Bolo, because it's the theme song for an ATV series from the 80's which title doesn't come to my mind at this moment.

It's sung in Cantonese, and I don't think either that it's Chou Fu Liang who composed this theme, but I'm not 100% sure...

DragonClaws
14 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I don't think that it's a special song for Bolo, because it's the theme song for an ATV series from the 80's which title doesn't come to my mind at this moment.

Thanks for the reply @ShawAngela, I wasnt aware it had been used in kind of series. Hard if not impossible to track down information on some songs from Asian movies.

Bolo was released in 1979, before the 1980's ATV series you talk about. Can anyone point me in the direction of any earlier use of this particular track?. Did it appear in any Shaw Brothers or Golden Harvest soundtrack's.

Still looking for the source for the main theme to Five Shaolin Masters.

Also much if not all the music in The Magnificent Concubine / Yang Kwei Fei (1962) sounds like it was scored for the film. A few of the themes are re-used in many later Shaw films. I'm trying to figure out if this is the first film this music was in, or if there was an earlier film. So far I don't think I've heard it in any other earlier film, but I haven't seen many earlier Shaw films. Since it sounds like it was all scored at the same time, I figured there might have been a soundtrack album, but I have never come across one for this film.

A few films that you can hear the main theme in are Blood Brothers (scene with Ti Lung and Ching Li in the lake) Vengeance is a Golden Blade, Tiger Killer and a brief snach in the recently uncovered Imperial Tomb Raiders. It is used mostly for romantic or fantasy sequences.

TibetanWhiteCrane
9 hours ago, panku said:

Still looking for the source for the main theme to Five Shaolin Masters.

Also much if not all the music in The Magnificent Concubine / Yang Kwei Fei (1962) sounds like it was scored for the film. A few of the themes are re-used in many later Shaw films. I'm trying to figure out if this is the first film this music was in, or if there was an earlier film. So far I don't think I've heard it in any other earlier film, but I haven't seen many earlier Shaw films. Since it sounds like it was all scored at the same time, I figured there might have been a soundtrack album, but I have never come across one for this film.

A few films that you can hear the main theme in are Blood Brothers (scene with Ti Lung and Ching Li in the lake) Vengeance is a Golden Blade, Tiger Killer and a brief snach in the recently uncovered Imperial Tomb Raiders. It is used mostly for romantic or fantasy sequences.

Is this the one, Panku?

And which one from Five Shaolin Masters do you mean? The big choir theme or that Western sounding chase theme?

There's a version of the one armed boxer on youtube that doesn't have the theme from shaft at the start. The theme i think comes from a western does anyone know which one?

12 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:
Is this the one, Panku?

And which one from Five Shaolin Masters do you mean? The big choir theme or that Western sounding chase theme?

Yes, that is one of them in Blood Brothers. There is also the 'epic' sounding one with a female voice choir that someone uploaded as "Vengeance". They are all over the Magnificent Concubine soundtrack which is why I was thinking it may have been scored for that. Haven't found a soundtrack album for that film which would solve it, one way or the other. I figure someone may recognize it, maybe it was just lifted from some other film or even from the DeWolfe or other library music.

The theme I'm thinking of from Five Shaolin Masters is the minor key theme that plays mostly, I believe when they are walking across the countryside. Sounds like it could have been lifted from a giallo, it's haunting sounding. Here's an mp3.

Thanks, @TibetanWhiteCrane I appreciate the help

@DragonClaws, I listened to your sample. I have heard that theme before (probably in that film!) but I don't know what it's from, sorry

five shaolin masters theme 01.mp3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Sounds really familiar... got a bunch of giallo/euro film music stored.... I'll sift through it and see what I can find. I think it's from Cat O' Nine Tails though.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Wasn't Cat O' Nine.... but I have def heard that before.

Looked through all my files, it was not there. But I know I've heard outside of 5SM.

Ok, I finally got an answer for Bolo's song.

Thanks to siuyu from the wuxia forum where I also post, it happens that the song that can be heard in Bolo's movie is also in this movie (or just tv clip for the song, I don't know) :

The singer is Sam Hui.

But, as I said, this above song is a parody of a 1976 CTV's series with Pai Piao and Michelle Yim, Legend of the Condor Heroes. I think that CTV was a predecessor of ATV.

Here is the original song from 1976 :

I hope that this helps...

And now, I have it in my mind for ages...:bs_smile:

And it looks like Kenneth Tsang, Walter Tso, Cheng Lei and Paul Chun Pui also played in this series. And I'm not sure, but it seems to me that I also recognized Chen Hui Min...

galvatron1976
4 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Thanks to siuyu from the wuxia forum where I also post, it happens that the song that can be heard in Bolo's movie is also in this movie (or just tv clip for the song, I don't know) :

The singer is Sam Hui.

But, as I said, this above song is a parody of a 1976 CTV's series with Pai Piao and Michelle Yim, Legend of the Condor Heroes. I think that CTV was a predecessor of ATV.

Here is the original song from 1976 :

I hope that this helps...

And now, I have it in my mind for ages...:bs_smile:

@ShawAngela

CTV are actually more "closer" to TVB than ATV 

CTV have sold all the video right to TVB  around 2000an.

The Song also used in CTV Return Of Condor Hero 1976 with some changes on lyrics.

DragonClaws
19 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Thanks to siuyu from the wuxia forum where I also post, it happens that the song that can be heard in Bolo's movie is also in this movie (or just tv clip for the song, I don't know)

A huge thankyou to @ShawAngela & siuyu, you have both really helped me out with this query. I really appreciate you giving up some of your time, to look into this for me.

Omni Dragon
On 3/14/2020 at 2:31 PM, NinjaX said:

There's a version of the one armed boxer on youtube that doesn't have the theme from shaft at the start. The theme i think comes from a western does anyone know which one?

I believe this is what @NinjaX is referring to:

And here's the version with the Shaft theme:

DragonClaws

Could one of the moderator's please move this thread, to the Questions & Answer's forum?.

38 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Could one of the moderator's please move this thread, to the Questions & Answer's forum?.

Sorry, that wouldn't work now since there are already replies in this thread.

DragonClaws

1 hour ago, SMK said:

Sorry, that wouldn't work now since there are already replies in this thread.

Thats cool, I just thought other people might still have something to add in the future. I completey forgot about the Questions & Answer's forum. My head was still on the older forum layout, when I first posted the question's. There were some other 1970's Canto-pop related questions I had planned to ask too.

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

There were some other 1970's Canto-pop related questions I had planned to ask too.

The Questions & Answers section works best if you just ask a single question that has 1 single definitive answer. Feel free to use this section, I actually suggest that you do for these types of questions.

clint eastwood smoking GIF

Archived