Water Margin in the making (news article)

teako170

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, $3 million to make the film? What would that be equivalent to if that was made now? Very cool piece. Thanks for sharing.

Chu Liu Hsiang

"We will be working with a highly knowledgable and terribly critical audience, so even the slightest mistake could ruin the film completely".  The novel Water Margin could be the first recorded nerdism-launching work of art :wink:  Thanks for sharing this interesting article! 

I found that Chang Cheh's DELIGHTFUL FOREST, telling Wu Song's story between TIGER KILLER and WATER MARGIN, is a literal adaptation of the corresponding chapters in the novel (or rather, of the English translation I read). The only difference I remember is that in the novel Wu Song decides to kill everyone in the palace, including servants, women, and kids. I understand why CC decided to drop that.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 3/9/2020 at 11:11 PM, teako170 said:

Fall 1971

Image8.jpg

Fascinating. Thanks for posting this @teako170.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:17 PM, SMK said:

Wow, $3 million to make the film? What would that be equivalent to if that was made now? Very cool piece. Thanks for sharing.

Good point @SMK. Each star would want more than $3 million each just for their roles, and this film is packed with so many stars of the time. I can't imagine a film like this being made in Hong Kong these days. The last films that I can think of that had somewhat comparable casts would be 2005's SEVEN SWORDS and 2009's BODYGUARDS AND ASSASSINS. Even in an interview from 1997 Sammo Hung was talking about the difficulties of getting an entire cast to be available for a whole shoot; complaining that often stars would only be available for just a few days to film their entire role.

21 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

"We will be working with a highly knowledgable and terribly critical audience, so even the slightest mistake could ruin the film completely".  The novel Water Margin could be the first recorded nerdism-launching work of art :wink:  Thanks for sharing this interesting article! 

I found that Chang Cheh's DELIGHTFUL FOREST, telling Wu Song's story between TIGER KILLER and WATER MARGIN, is a literal adaptation of the corresponding chapters in the novel (or rather, of the English translation I read). The only difference I remember is that in the novel Wu Song decides to kill everyone in the palace, including servants, women, and kids. I understand why CC decided to drop that.

I'm a huge fan of DELIGHTFUL FOREST, so this info comes as quite a shock @Chu Liu Hsiang. Yikes, it's stunning that the novelist would have the character do something so despicable. So here's something I never thought I'd say or write... I'm thankful for Chang Cheh's choice of restraint. :coveredlaugh

Omni Dragon
11 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Even in an interview from 1997 Sammo Hung was talking about the difficulties of getting an entire cast to be available for a whole shoot; complaining that often stars would only be available for just a few days to film their entire role.

I think, it's kind of funny how many HK movies have doubling in non-action scenes because they didn't get enough coverage of certain actors. 

On 3/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, SMK said:

Depending on the source, $3 million USD in fall 1971 is about 19-20 million dollars today.

Have never seen this movie,this as got me interested is it worth hunting down?

Killer Meteor

It's impressive in parts but most of it is an annoying cycle of captures and re-caputres, and most of the huge cast is underused. Terrifc music though!

Archived