And the winner is... Pick your favourites

laagi

I'm pretty sure there's endless lists of Top 10, 5, 3 and so on. However I'm curious what is your all time favourite from each of your (childhood) heroes. Or maybe you can't pick one? Feel free to add any information or comments you'd like to your choices.

Guess I'll make a start. Please note while I have watched a fair share of classic, new era and modern MA movies I'll only list favourites from individuals that inspired or had an impact on me one way or the other.

Bruce Lee - Way of the Dragon

No List should go without the man who had undoubtedly one of the biggest impacts to the industry we know today. Although unfortunatly it was only short lived. His final fight at the colosseum in Rome vs Chuck Norris is one of my all time favourites ever put to film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZhsTCzKtQY

Donnie Yen - Kung Fu Jungle aka Kung Fu Killer

Would modern MA cinema still exist without this man? Probably not. While I did enjoy some of his early efforts like Iron Monkey. Kung Fu Jungle is a love letter to a decade of MA cinema in Hong Kong. A mix of modern and classic, one I love to revisit any time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlQYdIr7ZO0

Jackie Chan - Shinjuku Incident

No list can be complete without Jackie. The amount of spectecular MA action he put on celluloid is endless! I've grown up with his early efforts like Drunken Master. However it would take almost another 30 years for me to truly appreciate him as an Actor. It might seem a strange choice but it's his best overall effort to date in my opinion. Strangely enough it would take alomst another decade to see him act again alongside Pierce Brosnan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJqi2rj6LDo

Jean Claude Van Damme - The Bouncer aka Lukas

Say what you want about the guy but he sure had his fair share of great MA moments. With a career long up and down it would be easy to pick one of his earlier efforts (e.g. Bloodsport) but I specifically will go with one of his latest efforts. It's here we see a fragile and broken JCVD, his face telling all the stories rather than his fists. It's probably also his best acting job to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_nJMfYnLo

Jet Li - Kiss of the Dragon

Honestly I've watched every (I'm pretty sure) movie of Jet Li. From his humble beginnings in Shaolin Temple to his efforts to take foot in the states (The Master, was it?). I've always admired the guy. I had a tough choice to make here but all things considered I'll go with KOD. It's an awesome piece of action cinema.

Sammo Hung - Pedicab Driver

No coincidence that another heavy weight (no pun intended) in the industry makes my list. Be it in front or behind the camera. Sammo Hung has been a constant pilar for the industry, especially the post new era in Hong Kong. He's choreographed countless fights which are considered some of the best to date. To me however Pedicab Driver stands out as one of his best!

Scott Adkins -

One of the best on Screen Fighters today. His kicks are pure adrenaline and he gave us Yuri Boyka "the most complete fighter in the World". But wait where's the movie title. Truth be told I have nothing but respect for him. And he is an inspiration not only for his skill but also his tiredless effort and humble personality. But there's not one movie of his that somehow had an impact on me. Yeah I know... Please don't hurt me.

Steven Seagal - Out for Justice

The guy has always been a bit of a self-loving douchebag. Or at least that's the feel you get from him. Having watched most of his movies back in high school, he was just this bad-ass we wanted to be! His early efforts are still his best efforts to date. Everything that came later on to this day was pretty much garbage... Sorry Steven. Out for Justice features some of his most brutal and best fights.

Yuen Biao - On the Run

I would argue that Biao has always suffered the (unfortunate) fate of walk among the shadow of his acting brothers. I mean the guy is incredible and deserves a lot more credit. On the Run is outstanding! Probably one of my favourite HK new era movies ever. Unfortunatley I'm still waiting for a proper release to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQzxggPBRDQ

That's it for me. But hang on what about "put name here", like I said I enjoy a lot of MA cinema but these guys were just the once that made me love the genre in the first place. I might add more to the list in the future. Now it's your turn.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

So it's one movie per actor ? Okay, that sounds interesting.

Jackie Chan - Project A

Hilarious and action-packed movie. The fight between the two different corps early in the film is incredible.

David Chiang - The Heroic Ones

Wasn't too fond of it initially, but it's a very solid performance by David Chiang. His character is really awesome.

Sammo Hung - Winners and Sinners

Sammo clearly steals the show here. His character is hilarious, highly sympathetic but can also kick a surprising amount of ass.

Bruce Lee - Fist of Fury

His best outing by far.

Ti Lung - The Pirate

Jean-Claude Van Damme - Double Team

Carter Wong - Born Invincible

A villainous, invincible baddie with a high-pitched voice that teams up with Lo Lieh. Nuff said.

Donnie Yen - High Voltage

Donnie is a tough one as I enjoy a lot of his movies, but this one is possibly my favorite.

Simon Yuen - Drunken Master

Cheating a bit as it's more of a Jackie film, but since Mr. Yuen is the titular character...

Yuen Biao - Hero of Swallow

Graeme Of Death

Bruce Lee - Enter The Dragon

Jackie Chan - Police Story

Sammo - The Odd Couple

Yuen Biao - Prodigal Son

Jet Li - Once Upon A Time In China

Donnie Yen - In The Line Of Duty

Fung Hark On - Warriors Two

Gordon Lui - Heroes From The East

JCVD - Kickboxer

Steven Seagal - Hard To Kill

It's difficult to name only a movie per star, maybe I'll cheat a little bit...:bs_coveredlaugh:

David Chiang : The heroic ones and Shaolin handlock

Ti Lung : King Eagle and Avenging eagle

Jet Li : Romeo must die and Kiss of the dragon and The master. I think that I watched all of his movies...Ah no, I still have to watch Drunken Tai Chi and his more recent ones, but I'm not sure that I'll appreciate them as much as his early movies...

Jackie Chan : I couldn't help but laugh a lot when I watched Project A. I also love his early movies where there was not a too big amount of comedy.

Bruce Lee : Fist of fury

Chen Kuan Tai : Man of iron and Boxer form Shantung. I love his way of fighting.

Angela Mao : Hapkido, When taekwondo strikes, Legendary strikes, Invincible eight...

Chia Ling : Female chivalry and Ming patriots

Chiao Chiao : Rage of the master, Dragon blows, Furious ultimatum

Wang Ping : Beauty heroine, Sister of the Shantung boxer

Only 10 ? Too bad !! There are A LOT more !!

Bruce Lee....Fist of fury

Jackie Chan....Police story

Sammo Hung....Warriors two

Yuen Biao....Above the law

Billy Chong....A hard way to die

JCVD....Time cop

Donnie Yen....Ip man 4

Ti Lung....Kung fu instructor

Angela Mao....Broken oath

Lau Kar Fei....Eight diagram

Lau Kar Wing....The odd couple

Lau Kar Leung....My Young auntie

Jet Li....Martial arts of shaolin

Mark Dacascos....Drive

John Liu....Invincible armour

Steven Seagal....Marked for death

Hong Hoi : Beauty heroine, Rage of the master

Sammo Hung : Magnificent butcher, The victim...ALL

John Liu : Magnificent armour

The rest tomorrow...

TibetanWhiteCrane

Jimmy Wang Yu: One Armed Boxer, first ever Jimmy joint I saw, and it holds a special place in my heart.

Bruce Lee: Way of the Dragon... my fave of his.

Angela Mao: Hmmm... tough choice between Hapkido, When TKD Strikes and Broken Oath..... probably the latter for all-round performance.

David Chiang: Vengeance! Nothing better than Dave in full on revenge mode, slicing, dicing, choking and pummeling mofos like it ain't no thang. 

Ti Lung: The Duel... tough to pick a fave performance from him, but I really like him in this.

Yueh Hua: Pursuit.... severely slept on Shaw effort with a great role for Hua.

Lo Lieh: King Boxer... for all the awsome badguy roles he played, I still think this is his finest hour.

Gordon Liu: I think 36th Chamber and Heroes of the East are neck to neck here.

Leung Kar Yan: The Victim... just his physical performance in this alone is worthy of a standing ovation.

Sammo Hung: I can't choose, the man is a legend. This would just be a list of his movies.

Whang In Sik: The Young Master... like a Tasmanian devil whirling around kicking ass.

Hwang Jang Li: Tower of Death... Chin Ku is a *spoiler alert* badass villain and the final fight is shamelessly entertaining.

Philip Ko Fei: The Loot/The Challenger.... so fucking sharp and swift with the moves in these, plus some fun characters.

Chen Kuan Tai: Killer Constable... one of best roles in one of the coolest Shaw films.

Lau Kar Leung: Mad Monkey Kung Fu... truly touching performance and just watching him move is a privilege.

Kara Hui: My Young Auntie... superb and rightfully award winning performance.

Wang Lung Wei: The Master.... so much prime stuff to choose from, but as the white haired incarnation of evil here he puts in the full hundred.

Chen Sing: The Himalayan.... scheming, moustache twirling, bravura villain performance basically making him the star of the movie.

Lee Yi Min/Jack Long: Seven Grandmasters... the sheer physical performance they both put on here is astounding.

Mark Long: Mystery of Chess Boxing.... duuuh! Ghost Face Killer is iconic.

Meng Yuen Man: Daggers 8... looks like a mischievous little frog and has the leaping skills to match. Love me a good Kung Fu road movie.

Cliff Lok: Duel of the 7 Tigers... think Cliff was probably a better real life martial artist than a screen fighter, but he could hold his own. And I love seeing him use an arsenal of different styles in this.

Bruce Leung: Little Superman... more for the raw, brutal fighting performance than the acting and film as a whole.

Don Wong Tao/John Liu: Death Duel of Kung Fu... both putting in some of their best work here.

Billy Chong: Toss up between Super Power and A Fist Full of Talons.

Ricky Cheng/Chia Kai/Chang Shan: Seven Steps of Kung Fu... Ricky is not the greatest lead, but his skills are on point, Kai is always good and Shan as the white haired general is positively menacing, and a great guy for actually answering my stupid questions on FB. Superb final fight involving all three of course.

Leung Siu Hung/Ng Yuen Jun, Austin Wai: Five Superfighters... none of these guys ever looked better than in this classic.

Conan Lee: Ninja in the Dragon's Den... what else?

Jackie Chan: Wheels on Meals.... what is there really to say?

Yuen Biao: Righting Wrongs... my fave role of his for the variety he gets to show from acting to action to stunts, though Prodigal Son is a very close second.

Jet Li: Fist of Legend... Gordon Chan's insistence on grounded choreo and minimal wire work is what makes this Jet's best movie. Always wanted to see more of that from him.

Michelle Yeoh: Royal Warriors or Magnificent Warriors.... can't choose. She's awsomeness personified in both.

Cynthia Khan: In the Line of Duty 4... really upping her game from part 3 and doing a lot of that ambulance fight herself, which is just insane.

Moon Lee: Angel 1,2,3.... phenomenal work put in by this pint size pixie.

Yukari Oshima: A Book of Heroes for the fighting, Outlaw Brothers overall.

Frankie Chan: Outlaw Brothers neck to neck with Fun and Fury.

Donnie Yen: Old school.... In the Line of Duty 4.... new school... Flash Point.

Taimak: The Last Dragon. This was one of my favorite films growing up. I must have watched it over hundred times. My favorite scene is when Tiamak breaks into Eddie Arkadian's place wearing the ninja suit. I would put on my ninja suit and mimic everything Bruce Leeroy did.

Chen Kuan Tai and Fu Sheng: Heroes Two. My uncle recorded this off tv, but it was missing the ending. It took me years before I finally found out what happened at the end. What attracted me to Heroes Two was the opening music intro. I would practice my fake martial arts to it.

The Venoms: Crippled Avengers. This remains my number one venom film. And like Heroes Two, I never knew what happened at the end. I took a liking to Lo Mang  upon my first viewing.

Wong Tao: Death Duel of Kung fu. The opening Gambling scene with the lady. I was a horny little bastard. lol

Jackie Chan: Rumble in the Bronx. When I first the trailer for this on tv. I thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. I didn't know who Jackie Chan was, but I knew I wanted to see this movie. And the scene of Jackie jumping from the roof to the fire escape made me more anxious to see it.

Jean-Claude Van Damme: Bloodsports. I was an avid Van Damme fan from age 6 to 12. I thought he was the coolest person in the world.

Bruce Lee: The Big Boss. There aren't enough words to describe how much I love and appreciate Bruce Lee. Like Van Damme, I considered him a role model.

Steven Seagal: Above the Law. I would watch this often with my stepmom. I remember the day she brought home the vhs and we watched it together.

Liu Chai-Hui: 36th Chamber of Shaolin. The greatest training montage ever filmed.

Cynthia Rothrock....Yes Madam 

Michelle Yeoh....Royal Warriors

Yukari Oshima....Final Run

Kara Wai....My Young Auntie

Moon Lee....Angel

John Chang....Snake in the monkeys shadow

Sonny Chiba....The Street fighter

Sho Kosugi....Revenge of the ninja

Jimmy Wang Yu....The one armed boxer

Thanks for the great participation. Really nice to see how each one of us has their own taste which in the end still unites us here. Let's hope more will join in!

I haven't finished my list as yet, and reading the others' lists makes me realize that I forgot to mention a lot of titles in my previous lists !!

Secret Executioner
9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I haven't finished my list as yet, and reading the others' lists makes me realize that I forgot to mention a lot of titles in my previous lists !!

Feeling the same, I omitted a lot of actors but mostly because I couldn't pick one film.

Hwang in shik....Young master

Yuen Wah....Iceman cometh

Casanova Wong....Warriors Two

Tan Tao Liang....The hot the cool the vicious

Leung Kar Yan....The victim

Chuck Norris....Forced vengeance/Lone wolf mcquade

Brandon Lee....Rapid fire

ken Lo....Drunken master 2

Not many with Wong Tao surprisingly .. thought he was one of the best.. best performances is secret rivals, along came a tiger.. death duel of Kung fu & maybe Shaolin claw. Also didn’t see much Chan kuan chun. Two of my favourites.

Archived