Shintaro Katsu, Bruce Lee & The (1972) Tokyo Trip

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Jimmy Wang Yu with Shintaro Katsu and an actress I dont know?.

ShintaroKatsu.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
Posted (edited)

Bruce Lee Wanted To Join Hands With His Idol To Establish Himself Bigger Than 'Unworthy' Rival Once

Link - https://www.essentiallysports.com/us-sports-news-mma-news-bruce-lee-wanted-to-join-hands-with-his-idol-to-establish-himself-bigger-than-unworthy-rival-once/

Bruce Lee's on-screen battles were iconic, but there was one Japanese martial arts star that he never got to face, despite his fervent requests.

Link - https://screenrant.com/bruce-lee-fist-of-fury-shintaro-katsu-fight/

Bruce Lee's on-screen battles were iconic, but there was one Japanese martial arts star that he never got to face, despite his fervent requests.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

It appears Shintaro Katsu was a big mahjong fan just ike Bruce Lee, who played the game with fellow actor David Chiang among others in Hong Kong during the early 1970's.

[Movie Notes] Reading "Perfect Coincidence: The Life of Shintaro Katsu" made me think of Bruce Lee.

"I read Shintaro Katsu's biography "Chance Perfection"  The preface casually mentions an anecdote about Bruce Lee coming to Katsu Productions in Roppongi to ask to appear as the villain in his next movie . It's a famous episode among Bruce Lee fans. To go into more detail than the book itself, when Bruce came to the office, Katsu Shintaro asked Bruce to sit down, but Bruce stood upright with a look of respect, saying that he couldn't sit in front of the actor who played his favorite Zatoichi. There was a dedicated fan who closely followed Bruce's schedule at the time, so it was impossible for Bruce, who was extremely busy, to come to Japan. Regardless of the truth of the story, I would like to think that Bruce met Katsu Shintaro. That would be more interesting, simply. Because it's Zatoichi and a dragon. It would be a middle schooler's dream come true.

This episode is described in detail in an interview with Hashimoto Riki published in Eiga Himitsu's "Bruce Lee and 101 Dragons Parade." In fact, it seems that he received an offer from Katsu Productions via Golden Harvest after co-starring with Jimmy Wang in "Zatoichi: The Broken Chinese Sword." Hashimoto Riki is a former baseball player turned actor, and during his time at Daiei he was in the "Daimajin" costume because of his good physique. After Daiei went bankrupt, he joined Katsu Productions at the invitation of Katsu Shintaro. One day, Katsu Shintaro called him and said, "I'm playing mahjong, so come to my place with 30,000 yen." I rushed over to Katsu's place, thinking he'd be ripped off again, but he wasn't playing mahjong at all. Then Katsu suddenly said, "I want you to go to Hong Kong." Before I knew it, I was traveling to Hong Kong with Katsu's disciple, Katsumura Atsushi. There, I participated in the filming of "Fist of Fury." It's a typical Katsu Shintaro story, but it's kind of touching to know that Katsu Shintaro is behind Bruce Lee's masterpiece. Hashimoto Riki himself also makes a funny remark, saying, "I don't understand why it's 30,000 yen!" That's not the point! Katsumura Atsushi also testifies that Bruce Lee was called "Lee Xiao Long" on the set, and that he also called him that, so he didn't realize that "Bruce Lee" was "Lee Xiao Long" even in the midst of the big hit of "Enter the Dragon". His disciples are even more careless than his master, which is also great."

Source: https://note-com.translate.goog/jett0416/n/n28a5a41dea8d?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc&_x_tr_hist=true

Edited by DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Actors Chan Wai-Man left & Shintaro Katsu on the right, who can I-D the person in the middle?. I’m guessing this photograph was taken at Golden Harvest studios in (1970)?.

ShintaroKatsu3.jpg

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Actors Chan Wai-Man left & Shintaro Katsu on the right, who can I-D the person in the middle?. I’m guessing this photograph was taken at Golden Harvest studios in (1970)?.

ShintaroKatsu3.jpg

Looks like Angela Mao.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
14 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Looks like Angela Mao.

Id say your correct, and she appears on a few other pictures with Shintaro Kats during his time at Golden Harvest.

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

There was a dedicated fan who closely followed Bruce's schedule at the time, so it was impossible for Bruce, who was extremely busy, to come to Japan. Regardless of the truth of the story, I would like to think that Bruce met Katsu Shintaro.

I wonder who this super fan was?, a stalker? or just a dedicated fan.

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I wonder who this super fan was?, a stalker? or just a dedicated fan.

A fan who follows a star around that way IS a stalker.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
Just now, Killer Meteor said:

A fan who follows a star around that way IS a stalker.

If Bruce Lee had felt threatened by this fan I’m sure he would have taken some kind of legal action?. The word stalker gives different vibe to an innocent super fan.  In the late 70s there was a Rolling Stone fan in America who attended every concert, she was a blind girl. She would attend every show with n bad intentions, eventually the stones rhythm guitarist Keith Richards paid for her to tour with the band every time they came to America.

DragonClaws

"Bruce Lee's group fight scenes matured in "Fist of Fury". He attacked several people in one round and slowed down by one or two." There is a pause for a second, and then the fight begins again. This rhythm and storyboarding are very similar to the "Zatoichi" movie series starring Shintaro Katsu in the 1960s. To this day, some Japanese movies and comics also feature Bruce Lee's fighting moves. shadow."

Source: https://www-mpweekly-com.translate.goog/culture/cu0001/明周文化-李小龍-李小龍之死而復生-13754?_x_tr_sl=zh-TW&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

DragonClaws

"In addition to being able to get up close and personal with his idol, Bruce Lee also wanted to collaborate with Shintaro Katsu. Because Katsu Shintaro once filmed a movie called "One-Armed Sword vs. Blind Man" with Wang Yu. Bruce Lee believed that Wang Yu was not a qualified competitor - he was an actor pretending to be a tough guy, not a real martial artist. Therefore, Bruce Lee looked down on Wang Yu in this regard. [130] If Bruce Lee could invite Katsu Shintaro to star in his movie and perform better than Wang Yu's, then he would win the competition between the two.

This is particularly important because the core of the dramatic conflict in "Fist of Fury" is borrowed from Wang Yu's "Dragon and Tiger Fight" (1970). That film was distributed by Shaw Brothers, and like "Fist of Fury," virtuous martial arts disciples must be able to defend themselves against despicable and evil Japanese karate and judo masters. If "Fist of Fury" can be a hit, Bruce Lee can give Shaw and Wang Yu a "slap" in the face.

Unfortunately, Shintaro Katsu refused: "I'm very sorry, I can't cooperate with you, I still have a contract." However, as compensation, Shintaro Katsu recommended two actors from his own troupe to Bruce Lee"

Source: https://www-twtaipei-com.translate.goog/lxlshhzs/68926.html?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=zh-TW&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

DragonClaws

- "The tower-climbing fighting scene in "Game of Death" was an idea he got from seeing the "Five-story Pagoda" in Japan."
- "There is a pose that imitates Tonma Tengu. I only found out about it recently. I'm from a different generation, so I had no idea about Tonma Tengu, but I was surprised when I found out about it recently. "

image.jpeg.95602d955fb2c9293f0dd796b054c000.jpeg

image.jpeg.39cb53370439df2bcd21a16df4eab32d.jpeg

On 7/7/2022 at 4:01 PM, DragonClaws said:

Jimmy Wang Yu with Shintaro Katsu and an actress I dont know?.

ShintaroKatsu.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's Katsu's wife, Tamao Nakamura.