Shintaro Katsu, Bruce Lee & The (1972) Tokyo Trip

DragonClaws

Shintaro Katsu, Bruce Lee & The (1972) Tokyo Trip

Early 1970's Tokyo.

https://mymodernmet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Greg-Girard-006-Tokyo.jpg

In 1972 Bruce Lee embarked on a solo trip to the Roppongi district of Tokyo. After refusing to start production on the Lo Wei directed Fist of Fury released in September of that year. Until his requested script revisions had been made. The reason for the trip?, was to seek out the offices of his 40 year old acting idol Shintaro Katsu. In the hopes of learning more about how he made movies. The former Japanese musican was now a highly succesful actor in his own right. Who had already become a veteran of the movie business, by the time he met the rising Hong Kong actor.

- "Mr Katsu, I hold you in high esteem, cinematically and otherwise, - "I want to act with you, and I want to learn from you" - Bruce Lee - Page 339: Bruce Lee a Life Mattew Polly

(Below) Bruce Lee in Zatoichi mode, during a 1972 Golden Harvest screen test.

BL3410.jpg

- "It's a famous episode among Bruce Lee fans. To go into more detail than the book itself, when Bruce came to the office, Katsu Shintaro asked Bruce to sit down, but Bruce stood upright with a look of respect, saying that he couldn't sit in front of the actor who played his favorite Zatoichi."

Source: https://note-com.translate.goog/jett0416/n/n28a5a41dea8d?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc&_x_tr_hist=true

It turns out the Mr Katsu was contractually bound to another film company. Forcing Katsu, to turn down Mr Lee's offer to appear in future co-production together. However, he recommended former Babseball player turned actor Ricky Hashimoto & ex Pro-Wrestler Jun Katsumura. Hashimoto later landed the role of Suzuki in Fist of Fury. With one of his right hand men played by Mr Katsumura. There appear to be know known pictures of the Katsu/Lee meeting?. Similar to how there are no images from Bruce Lee's meeting, with British actor George Lazenby. One of Lee's top screen rivals Jimmy Wang Yu. Had already managed to score role opposite Katusmura. In the 1971 Golden Harvest produced Zatoichi and the One-Armed Swordsmen. Filmed in Japan, due to Wang Yu's then on-going dispute with Shaw Brothers studios. This movie had two directors in the form of Kimiyoshi Yasuda (Sworn Brothers) & Hsu Tseng Hung (18-Shaolin Disciples).

- "Shintaro Katsu was an outrageously individualistic actor who became a living legend playing a blind master swordsman, Zatoichi. "Katsu-shin", as he was affectionately known, was adored by millions, not only in Japan but all over South East Asia, where his dazzlingly original sword-fight sequences influenced kung fu epics of Hong Kong and Taiwan. He was the second son of a master of nagauta, "long song" accompanied by shamisen, often used as dance accompaniment in kabuki. He began by teaching nagauta and aged 17 performed it in kabuki. When with his father and older brother he joined the Azuma Kabuki tour of America, the shamisen players were relegated to steerage, while the actors all had first class cabins. That example of social discrimination rankled and made Shintaro determined to be an actor, too."

Source- https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-sintaro-katsu-1248398.html

- "Bruce Lee's group fight scenes matured in "Fist of Fury". He attacked several people in one round and slowed down by one or two." There is a pause for a second, and then the fight begins again. This rhythm and storyboarding are very similar to the "Zatoichi" movie series starring Shintaro Katsu in the 1960s.

Source - https://www-mpweekly-com.translate.goog/culture/cu0001/明周文化-李小龍-李小龍之死而復生-13754?_x_tr_sl=zh-TW&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

- Shintaro Katsu occasionally worked as a producer—for example, for the American documentary Ali: The Man Behind the Myth (1975), which profiled the life of boxer Muhammad Ali.

(Below) Muhammad Ali meets Sintaro Katsu on a movie set in March 1972. The very same year Mr Katsu met Bruce Lee in Tokyo.

image.jpeg.46a7b1f1560f2c922d002b60940ac322.jpeg

- Shintaro Katsu, in just one of his 25 lead roles as the famous blind Japanese sworsdmen, Zatochi.

Shintaro_Katsu_Zatoichi.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

On 2/21/2020 at 10:20 PM, CT KID said:

Are there any known pictures of Bruce and Ali together? I guess not though or it would have been a very widely circulated one.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:58 PM, Shaolivevil said:

Wow, Muhammad Ali with Shintaro Katsu! That is so cool... 

If there was a picture of all three together, I'm sure it would fetch a fair price. Even if there was one, there might be a lot of red tape we as fans just don't know about. There might be problems getting such an image out?. If a picture features two deceased stars owned by different Estates. Similar to how there might be more pictures of Bruce Lee with James Coburn & Steve McQueen and other actor/directo/producers from his Hollywood year's. That cant be released due to legal reasons?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

If there was a picture of all three together, I'm sure it would fetch a fair price. Even if there was one, there might be a lot of red tape we as fans just don't know about. There might be problems getting such an image out?. If a picture features two deceased stars owned by different Estates. Similar to how there might be more pictures of Bruce Lee with James Coburn & Steve McQueen and other actor/directo/producers from his Hollywood year's. That cant be resleased due to legal reasons?.

I've never read or heard anything about Bruce and Ali ever meeting although Bruce was an admirer of Ali's fighting style and studied his footwork intensely IIRC.

• Like 3

Here's another image of Muhammad Ali meeting Shintaro Katsu. I dont know the name of the movie Mr Katsu, was working on at the time?.

Dtear5NWsAErBhf.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

@DragonClaws thanks for posting those articles. I had no idea that there was a connection between Bruce Lee and Zatoichi or Muhammad Ali and Shintaro Katsu. I wonder if Ali also met Shintaro's brother, Tomisaburo Wakayama, the actor who played Ogami Itto in Lone Wolf & Cub during that same trip in '72? Also, I can't see the second pic of Ali and Katsu you posted right above me or is it just me and my browser? :hvb_not_sure:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

and Katsu you posted right above me or is it just me and my browser?

I think it might be your browser, the image appears to work fine for others?.

7 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@DragonClaws thanks for posting those articles. I had no idea that there was a connection between Bruce Lee and Zatoichi or Muhammad Ali and Shintaro Katsu

Here's a few more detials about regarding Ali's presence in Tokyo.

Muhammad Ali and Mac Foster fought each other in a fifteen-round boxing match in Tokyo on April 1, 1972.Ali won the fight on points through a unanimous decision

Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Mac_Foster

All Gets Japanese Doll. 24th Mar, 1972. Former World Heavyweight: champion Muhammad Ali, who is in Tokyo to fight Mac Foster in a 15-round bout on April 1st, receives a Japanese doll as a souvenir during a reception given the two boxers at a Tokyo hotel. The souvenir Japanese doll, was given during a press reception given for the two boxers at a Tokyo hotel. it is Ali's first visit to Japan, but Mac Foster who is an ex-U.S.Marine, was stationed in Japan in 1963-64. Ali Vows to knock him out ''in the first five rounds'. © Keystone Press Agency/Keystone USA/ZUMA Wire/Alamy Live News

Source- https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-all-gets-japanese-doll-24th-mar-1972-former-world-heavyweight-champion-105052289.html

all-gets-japanese-doll-24th-mar-1972-for

(Below) Mar. 24, 1972 - Doll For Ali's Foe: Mac Foster, who will flight Muhammad Ali in Tokyo on April 1, in a 15-round bout, is presented with a souvenir Japanese doll, during a press reception given for the two boxers at a Tokyo hotel.

mar-24-1972-doll-for-alis-foe-mac-foster

-

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

@DragonClaws, yep it was my browser. I inadvertently messed with some settings that blocked images and privacy tracking. In Chrome I can see it fine.

Those dolls are pretty neat. I think those are Hina dolls and they can get pretty pricey especially if made by famous local artisans, Here's a YT vid of some highlights from that fight in Tokyo between Ali and Mac Foster.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2020 at 2:43 AM, Yihetuan said:

@DragonClaws, yep it was my browser. I inadvertently messed with some settings that blocked images and privacy tracking. In Chrome I can see it fine.

There might be the full fight on there?, the Bruce Lee might have caught Ali fighting live in Asia. Had he got a ticket to this match, their two paths almost crossed here. Though I should imagine this event sold out pretty fast.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Shintaro Katsu & Jimmy Wang Yu in a scene from Zatoichi & The One Armed Swordsman(1971). Prodcued by Katsu Film Co. Ltd, Wing Luen(Yonglian) Movie Film Company, Daiei Film Co, Ltd and distributed by Golden Harvest films.

BlindSwordsmenVSOneArmedBoxer2.jpg

(Below) Taking a break from filming.

JimmyWangYu.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 6

Omni Dragon
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

(Below) Taking a break from filming.

JimmyWangYu.jpg

Looking at this still I'm imagining a buddy cop comedy version of Zatoichi and the One-Armed Swordsman. Of course Zatoichi being the one who drives is a totally sensible idea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

DragonClaws
On 3/9/2020 at 8:00 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Looking at this still I'm imagining a buddy cop comedy version of Zatoichi and the One-Armed Swordsman. Of course Zatoichi being the one who drives is a totally sensible idea.

I think you might be onto something there, I kinda see Jimmy Wang Yu's character as the one who does all the talking.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

Well, he has the hands, Wang Yu has the eyes. Teamwork!

Though given the amount of booze those two likely consumed...

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Is it possible, Bruce Lee was influenced/inspired by the fact Shintaro Katsu owned his movie production company?. Or was he simply tired of working with director's such as Lo Wei?. Did he form Concord Pictures with Raymond Chow, after his 1972 visit to Tokyo?. 

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

I think Bruce would have been inspired by Hollywood trends too. A lot of stars by that time were freelance. Mind you, so was Wang Yu...

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 11:31 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I think Bruce would have been inspired by Hollywood trends too. A lot of stars by that time were freelance. Mind you, so was Wang Yu...

Agreed, Clint Eastwood had already established his own production company Malpaso back in 1967.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Read a few interviews, one with the fellow who wrote Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan and the other with Han Ying Jie the Cathay and Golden Harvest fight coordinator. Their opinion was that Kung Fu movies were basically quickie films and that even Huang Fei Films from the 50's and 60's were lowbrow films. 

@NoKUNGFUforYU It appears Japanese actor/producer Shintaro Katsu shared the same opinion's. I said I'd get back to on this topic, here's a quote I couldnt find at the time you brought up this subject. Maybe this the reason why Katsu turned down appearing alongside Bruce Lee in a movie?.

"Before the Japanese release of Enter the Dragon Raymond Chow approached Shintaro Katsu, wihtout success, to sercure the distrbution of Bruce Lees earlier films such as The Big Boss and Fist of Fury. Katsu's refusal revealved the low esteem in which Hong Kong movies were generally held by the Japanese filmmakers in the early 1970's and it was only with the release of Enter the Dragon in 1973, that Hong Kong movies began to enjoy some popularity in Japan" Source-  Hong Kong Connections: Transnational Imagination in Action Cinema

Shintaro Katsu and Tamao nakamura
1973 - Shintaro Katsu (left), Japanese actor, singer, producer, and director. Tamao nakamura (right), Japanese actress. (Photo by Koichi Saito/AFLO

source- https://nipponnews.photoshelter.com/image/I0000xToOaISJwlM

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000xToOaISJwlM/s/500/aflo-ziwa000563.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

DragonClaws

- Shintaro Katsu co-starred with Wang Yu in "Fist of Fury ! Tangjin Sword" (Director Kimiyoshi Yasuda, 1971). It was because I did it. Katsu became close to Wang Yu, and through Golden Harvest , Wang Yu said , "The first one from the United States that came out in Hong Kong earned $ 1 million in box office revenue. I want to make the second one. So, please introduce the actor who played the role of a bad Japanese in the Meiji era. "

- It was said that the length of stay in Hong Kong for shooting was about two weeks, and the guarantee was paid by Katsu Pro. He said he saw the movie for the first time when it was released in Japan after Bruce Lee died, saying, "It's popular in Hong Kong, but I didn't think I would do it in Japan."

- In shooting, it took a full two days just to get around the climax. It was canned in the set from 1 pm to 11 pm, and I was only able to go out for an hour in the evening, at meal time.

Source- https://ja-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/橋本力_(野球)?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

BL2364.jpg

• Like 3

DragonClaws

"It was said that the length of stay in Hong Kong for shooting was about two weeks, and the guarantee was paid by Katsu Pro"

source - https://ja-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/橋本力_(野球)?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Did Golden Harvest pay Shintaro Katsu Comapny for the use of some of their actors?.

KYOTO, JAPAN - JUNE 30: Actor and film director Shintaro Katsu (R) is seen on the set during the 'Zatoichi' fliming on June 30, 1972 in Kyoto, Japan. (Photo by The Asahi Shimbun via Getty Images).

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/actor-and-film-director-shintaro-katsu-is-seen-on-the-set-during-the-picture-id1215278694

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3