Is Wilson Yip overrated?

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Ip Man, Flashpoint (two words or one?), and SPL are the only films I can think will stand the test of time. This dude made a shit ton of movies, do they stand tall or no? Overrated? 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

SPL and Flash Point are modern classics and I also kinda like Dragon Tiger Gate for what it is. Not the biggest Ip Man fan, but obviously it's a popular franchise.

But I'm way more into his earlier stuff. He had a nice five film run with Bio Zombie ('98), Bullets Over Summer ('99), Skyline Cruisers ('00), Juliet in Love ('00), 2002 ('01). Horror comedy, cop soap opera, big dumb hi-tec action, quirky emotional triad love story & supernatural action..... good variety.

Whether he is overrated is not for me to say.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Juliet in love sounds very interesting. Is it like comedy drama? I think I'm heavily jaded in seeing action at this point. I need something different. 

TibetanWhiteCrane

It's a slow-moving but very emotional character drama, closer to arthouse than commercial fare that is certainly not for everyone. I definitely didn't think it was for me before I saw it, but it won me over big time. Especially Sandra Ng's performance. Really didn't like her in anything till I saw this. Francis Ng is great and weird as always and Simon Yam is the big bad boss with babysitting issues. Too esoteric for most, a minor classic for some.

Wilson Yip has gone on to become a mainstream director with the opportunities he has taken in the past 15 years working with Donnie Yen. I still think he's a great overall director regardless but it has to be said. A director of this caliber works the best as an independent creator as well as entrepreneur. Wilson Yip truly showed this when he started out directing on his own after years of assisting other great directors before him.

Graeme Of Death

Don't know about Wilson Yip,  I've only ever seen SPL and the first Ip Man films which I enjoy, but always considered Donnie Yen to be incredibly over rated.

Donnie may be overrated but at least he trying to lift action movies in Hong Kong/China doing something different and fresh. Nobody in the martial arts department the past 15 years have been as prolific and boundary-pushing as him. Be lucky to see the martial arts action genre in Hong Kong still active thanks to him.

Graeme Of Death

To be honest I don't really know much of his stuff in the last 15 years other than the ones I mentioned. I'm just basing my opinion more on his 90s output which tends to be all wire work and under cranked stuff which I'm not a big fan of. I've seen some of his earlier films and quite enjoyed them. I grew up on Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao so watching Donnie and Jet Li fly about on wires just doesn't do it for me, just doesn't take the same amount of skill.

Can you recommend some of his recent film that might be worth a watch?

Undercranking is the epitome of Golden Age Hong Kong Cinema so everyone has had their hands on it. And I'll say this to you as well: Jackie, Sammo, and Bill included. While Donnie has had his share of wirework in his 90s movies I attribute that mostly to Jet Li since he starred in Once Upon a Time in China which reinvented the kung fu genre using wires.

Recent movies... the rest of the Ip Man movies, Flash PointLegend of the Fist, The Lost Bladesman, Dragon, Special ID, Kung Fu Jungle, and Big Brother.

You really have to see that end fight between Donnie and  Colin Chou in Flashpoint, he applies mma to fight choreography better than anyone I've ever seen.

I don't know if Wilson Yip is overrated, but he has made many popular films with Donnie Yen. Do people attribute the success of Ip Man to Yip? It's probably more to do with Yen or even Yuen Woo Ping and Sammo Hung as it was the interesting fight choreography (or maybe just the chain punches) which was so satisfying to watch even for non martial arts fans that it gained that mainstream appeal.

That said, I don't care much for a lot of Yip's films. I love SPL and for the longest time it was one of my favourite films. Flashpoint is good too, but I always felt that it was carried by the quality of the action rather than anything else. Dragon Tiger Gate is pretty bad, and the Ip Man films, while definitely enjoyable, are getting way too ridiculous for their own good. I also didn't care too much for Paradox which had a lot of promise with its story and absolutely beautiful cinematography, but as with the Ip Man films gets way too ridiculous and weirdly melodramatic (and this is coming from someone who loves melodrama).

So overrated? I don't think so just because I don't think people think of him as a great director in the first place and I personally would agree.

Is Wilson Yip really held in such a high regard by many? I don't think so. The man had a promising start into his directorial career with movies like Bullets Over Summer or Juliet In Love, he made a great big budget debut with SPL but after that he developed into some sort of directorial parasite that mostly lives through Donnie Yen's efforts. The Ip Man-movies, Dragon Tiger Gate or Flash Point or first and foremost Donnie Yen flicks and Wilson Yip movies second. And his output besides those prominent films ranges between mediocre like his Chinese Ghost Story remake and disastrous like Triumph In The Sky. So I don't know if he's overrated since I don't know how high he's actually rated but I'd say he's not a great director, not even a good director but an unremarkable one with only a few notable films in his oeuvre.

JackieRome

Got too bogged down in making three hundred Ip Man films and collaborating too much with Donnie Yen's egocentricity. M a director who makes Bullets over summer, Juliet in love, Spl and Flashpoint, can still do a lot of shit. 

Graeme Of Death

Just ordered Dragon Tiger Gate in order to broaden my modern Kung Fu Donnie Yen horizons :)

Drunken Monk
48 minutes ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Just ordered Dragon Tiger Gate in order to broaden my modern Kung Fu Donnie Yen horizons :)

That one divides audiences. A lot of people hate it; a lot of people like it. Though I’ve definitely heard more of the former than latter.

Personally, I think it has great fight scenes.

Graeme Of Death

Is it like a later day HK action film where all the characters wear white vests and have fringes covering half their faces?

On 5/30/2020 at 7:46 PM, JackieRome said:

Got too bogged down in making three hundred Ip Man films and collaborating too much with Donnie Yen's egocentricity. M a director who makes Bullets over summer, Juliet in love, Spl and Flashpoint, can still do a lot of shit. 

Every director subjectively makes bad movies. It's all based on decisions and new career directions, and every actor and director go through that phase.

Archived