Shaolin handlock question

ShawAngela

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Thanks to both of you.

Well... I guess that I have to watch it again for the...4th of 5th time !!! :bs_coveredlaugh:

There’s no limit for such a gem, especially in Thailand scenery! The scene is in the film but that particular shot was probably taken separately as David Chiang is looking right to the camera. And the picture format seems not to be in 2:35.

It's one of my top favorite movies, for the excellent plot, for the fights, for the theme music during the credits and for David Chiang, of course !😁

My only complaint is that Chen Ping and the other girl didn't have enough fight scenes, and that at least Chen Ping should have had a part in the final fight since the three children wanted to avenge their father...

The more I talk about this movie, the more I have a furious willing to watch it at once, but it's more than time to go to bed, now, since here, it's already half past midnight !!!

TibetanWhiteCrane

To clarify.... the photo is a production still, so yeah... that particular shot is not in the film, the actual market scene is of course.

11 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

It's one of my top favorite movies, for the excellent plot, for the fights, for the theme music during the credits and for David Chiang, of course !😁

My only complaint is that Chen Ping and the other girl didn't have enough fight scenes, and that at least Chen Ping should have had a part in the final fight since the three children wanted to avenge their father...

The more I talk about this movie, the more I have a furious willing to watch it at once, but it's more than time to go to bed, now, since here, it's already half past midnight !!!

I get it. In fact that post made me watch it just now. This is still an awesome movie, just the cast, a simple but solid script and the action directing by Tang Jia make perfection! So charming.

Well with all the chatter about this movie, I just gave it a watch.  It certainly lived up to what everyone said.  Good story, plentiful fight scenes and nice locations.  Thanks for the recommend! 

Surprisingly, I have yet to watch this one. Going to give it a go sometime soon. Back when I was collecting, I purchased a funimation set that was supposed to include this, but it was a different collection than advertised.

The set included I ended up receiving included:

Shaolin Prince, Invincible Shaolin, And Life Gamble. 

Life Gamble was certainly the weak point in the set, the other two movies are pretty great.

Finally got around to seeing this one... DOPE!

The on location shots in Thailand really make this stand out more than anything else, and overall the direction just seemed good. I'd say its the best of the few films I've seen from Ho-Meng Hua. It is both beautiful and unique, especially for a Shaw film of the era... I mean, there is a motorboat chase scene! Solid performances by the cast, both in fighting and acting, although not any of their best. The plot was above-average for a revenge tale. The final 2v1 fight was solid, Lo Lieh did a trampoline jump into a roll landing, I had to rewind it several times in disbelief to make sure it wasn't a stunt double.. This wouldn't be impressive for many actors of the time, but for him it was out of the ordinary. 

I got a decent kick out of the scene where Chan Wei Man asks who is in the picture that David Chiang is hiding, and he responds "Me and your Mom!". It wouldn't be that funny, but it was unexpected.

All in all, a pretty damn good movie, and stands out due to its location, setting, and some decent acting and action.

This kind of makes me want to revisit the other Ho Meng Hua/Chiang/Lieh film "Slice of Death.", which I remembered as being fairly average. (There are just too many similar and better movies.)

I rewatched this myself last night and still enjoyed it immensely but had forgot about the motorboat chase scene that was uncranked to loony tunes proportions, that looked pretty hilarious!

On 2/19/2020 at 3:30 AM, paimeifist said:

Surprisingly, I have yet to watch this one. Going to give it a go sometime soon. Back when I was collecting, I purchased a funimation set that was supposed to include this, but it was a different collection than advertised.

The set included I ended up receiving included:

Shaolin Prince, Invincible Shaolin, And Life Gamble. 

Life Gamble was certainly the weak point in the set, the other two movies are pretty great.

I bought that same 3 dvd set maybe 7or 8 years ago now but I didn't realize that Funimation was supposed to put out a Vol 2 with Shaolin Hand Lock included? Do you recall what the other 2 titles were in the set with Shaolin Hand Lock?

Killer Meteor

Not a huge fan...it's a basher plot based around a very weak shapes move (one they establish right from the start is very easy to counter), with David Chiang supposedly the match of Chan Wei-man...which is ludicrous.

Nice Thai scenery, I'll give it that.

Archived