"The King of the Kickboxers," anyone?

Guest Alvin George

Guest Markgway

Pretty much every movie could be improved with a spiked cage.

Imagine Love Actually with a spiked cage death duel between Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sifu iron perm

wasted Keith in this entertaining no retreat no surrender type film.

No retreat 3 had the best fight scenes in the series..

who made American shaolin?

ShaOW!linDude

One reviewer on Amazon said it was the same people who did "King of the Kickboxers" which was Imperial Entertainment Corp. in 1991.

I noticed something interesting and confusing. I have "American Shaolin" on a disc with 2 other movies (a Richard Norton flick call "Death Fight" and a really awful non-MA movie called "Dangerous Games"). I'll look tomorrow to see who put that out. But looking for it on Amazon I came across it titled as "American Shaolin: King of the Kickboxers 2".

Then I came across another movie titled "King of the Kickboxers 2" which stars Loren Avedon. The DVD is Region 1 and it's full screen format. I don't recall ever seeing this. Anybody else? It's not a rehash of the first one (at least not according to the synopsis given).

Morgoth Bauglir

American Shaolin is from Seasonal Films. I think King of the Kickboxers is a Imperial and Seasonal co-production. Both movies have the same director Lucas Lowe.

The Loren Avedon movie King of the Kickboxers 2 on Amazon is Fighting Spirit.

I noticed something interesting and confusing. I have "American Shaolin" on a disc with 2 other movies (a Richard Norton flick call "Death Fight" and a really awful non-MA movie called "Dangerous Games"). .

I have the VHS of Deathfight with Richard Norton. That's just a Filipino-made action flick where Norton is framed for the murder of his mistress by his adopted brother, who moonlights as a drug runner and an underground fight promoter. Chuck Jeffreys plays the champion of the underground fights, named I-ron and he is supposed to be Jamaican I think.

But Morgoth is right...Loren Avedon's King of the Kickboxers 2 is in fact Fighting Spirit, which he plays a man who learns martial arts to avenge the death of his best friend who competed in illegal fights to pay for his sister's surgery. The title comes from the fact that the ghost of said friend comes to visit him and give him advice.

ShaOW!linDude

I like "Death Fight". I just don't understand why the non-MA flick got lumped in with it and AS on the dvd. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Yeah, I read the synopsis on "Fighting Spirit/King of the Kickboxers 2" (which ever one you prefer to go by) and the review posted, too. It doesn't sound too promising. Has anyone seen it?

I've seen it...at one point, I had the DVD, but sold it when money was tight years ago. Avedon seemed to be the only good fighter as was Sean Donohue (who plays Avedon's friend and is part of a father-son stuntman team with dad Patrick). But others like Ned Hourani (who played Russell and is best known as the guy who gets killed in the opening of both Bloodfist 1 and Bloodfist 2) was wasted big time.

Not sure if this is the same guy, but the listing said Martial Arts Choreography by Chiang Tao (I was thinking the Shaw Brothers villain actor), but it was never confirmed.

Archived