I dont believe Donnie Yen

Iron_Leopard

This may have already been discussed but I just saw this for first time.

https://amp.scmp.com/sport/martial-arts/kung-fu/article/3039722/donnie-yen-confirms-ip-man-4-will-be-his-final-kung-fu

Didn't Jet Li say the same thing about Fearless? 

Clint Eastwood is the only one who stuck to his guns. Unforgiven WAS his final Western.

Donnie will be back doing kung fu movies again at some point. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

This may have already been discussed but I just saw this for first time.

https://amp.scmp.com/sport/martial-arts/kung-fu/article/3039722/donnie-yen-confirms-ip-man-4-will-be-his-final-kung-fu

Didn't Jet Li say the same thing about Fearless? 

Clint Eastwood is the only one who stuck to his guns. Unforgiven WAS his final Western.

Donnie will be back doing kung fu movies again at some point. 

I dont believe him at all. Ip Man 3 was supposed to be his last and then a couple of months later, a leaked image for Ip Man 4's poster comes out at the Cannes lol. Ive said this on instagram too and people got mad of course. He shouldnt stop right now, it would put him up there with the rest of the action stars... Jackie Chan making poor film upon film, Jet li making mediocre action movies, only to name a few.

I think he will carry on making action films but as for full blown Kung fu movies not so sure.He will be 57 later this year and his body has taken a lot of abuse over time and lets face it age does catch up.Just hope he doesn’t go down the same road as Jackie Chan and make films one after another without the quality we were used to.

Yeah I think he will continue to do martial arts action scenes in modern movies but not anymore pure and traditional martial arts movies.

I like the Ip Man films, but everyone and their gran is playing him; it is the gift that keeps on giving for the Hong Kong film industry.😋

50 minutes ago, chen lung said:

I like the Ip Man films, but everyone and their gran is playing him; it is the gift that keeps on giving for the Hong Kong film industry.😋

For sure I don’t know who will play ip man next, probably Eric Tsang. 🤪

The thing I've never understood is why he wastes his time (you can see he's getting older) making bad movies instead of thinking about making a sequel to Spl or Flashpoint. Maybe he's aware that those movies are unparalleled. From what I've understood over the years, action movies with silly comedy inside (I think you've got Jackie's movies too) that only makes the Chinese people laugh, are better at the box office instead of great action movies in the strictest sense. Maybe only Ip man is good. The rhetoric in these movies is terrible but the action scenes are always great. actually only the first chapter is really good. Special Id could have been the movie we've been waiting for for years but it wasn't, even though it has a great ending fight. I remember when i approached Donnie during the Venice Film Festival (he presented legend of chen zhen) i told him with my usual english embarrassed, that the fight with Collin Chou was among the greatest fights ever. he replied: "then you'll see tonight at the screening and you'll be satisfied"; actually i wasn't satisfied because the editing of chen zhen broke the best fight scenes of that fanciful and rhetorical movie. Luckily with Wu Xia and Kung Fu Jungle he made it up to you

Archived