One Piece (2023-) - Inaki Godoy, Emily Rudd, Mackenyu, Jacob Romero Gibson, Taz Skylar

AlbertV

one_piece0.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=943&h=

Thats right...Monkey D. Luffy is getting the live action treatment via a 10-episode series that Netflix will be producing with Tomorrow Studios, who are also working on the live-action Cowboy Bebop series, which is still on hold due to John Cho's stunt accident in October. Filming will be resume later this year on that series. Steven Maeda will be the showrunner of the series, which revolves around Luffy's dream to be the "king of the pirates" and retrieve the "One Piece" treasure.

https://tvline.com/2020/01/29/one-piece-live-action-netflix-season-1/

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

The cast has been announced:

eh.jpg
Inaki Godoy will be playing Monkey D. Luffy
Mackenyu
 will play Roronoa Zoro
Emily Rudd
 will play Nami
Taz Skylar
 will play Sanji
Jacob Romero Gibson will play Usopp

Steven Maeda and Matt Owens are serving as writers and showrunners (with manga creator Eiichiro Oda as consultant) with manga publish Shueisha serving as a producer alongside Tomorrow Studios. Tomorrow Studios is also responsible for next week's Cowboy Bebop live-action series. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

I'm glad they got Mackenyu to play Zoro. i saw some intense training footage of him getting ready for his role in the final Rurouni Kenshin  & he looks like he could've been a member of his late father's JAC.

• Like 4

Well, I used to read One Piece in Shonen Jump, back when that was still thing. It was alright. I liked all the characters, and it was an overall fun story to read. So yeah, the cast looks solid, so I'll check this out if/when its released on DVD

• Like 3

Here's a first look at the pirate ships on the set of the series. They are shooting in Cape Town, South Africa. 

and some new cast members have been added:

• Langley Kirkwood will play Captain Morgan
  • Celeste Loots will play Kaya
  • Alexander Maniatis will play Klahadore
  • Craig Fairbrass will play Chef Zeff
  • Steven Ward will play Dracule Mihawk
  • Chioma Umeala will play Nojikoonepiece.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

For the record, I am a fan of both Fairbrass and Ward so I can't wait to see what they have to bring to the table. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

This may have the potential for one reason: Netflix and the showrunners worked excusively with the manga creator Eichiro Oda on the series. Oda-san was involved to where he made sure the show was doing right by his vision.

https://screenrant.com/one-piece-show-eiichiro-oda-involvement-netflix-adaptation/

• Like 1

Netflix One Piece

Eiichiro Oda gave an update on the series:

"All involved in the show have “been hard at work this entire time” and that “each and every entity involved is working in sync.” And while it was previously announced that the show would debut in 2023, Oda said “they’ve promised that we won’t launch it until I’m satisfied.”

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 7:00 PM, AlbertV said:

Netflix One Piece

Eiichiro Oda gave an update on the series:

"All involved in the show have “been hard at work this entire time” and that “each and every entity involved is working in sync.” And while it was previously announced that the show would debut in 2023, Oda said “they’ve promised that we won’t launch it until I’m satisfied.”

That gives me a lot of hope for this show. I hope they get it right. 

• Like 1

Has any live action of a manga / anime / cartoon ever been successful?

Tbh, I think that looks good, likely as good as live action adaption ever will. Still feel this will always work better as an anime though.

• Like 1

Some interesting news: 

The original Straw Hats from the anime series will voice the five lead characters for the Japanese dubbing of the live-action series.

Inaki Godoy and Taz Skylar will also voice their own characters of Luffy and Sanji for the Spanish dubbing of the live action series as Godoy is Mexican and Skylar is from the Canary Islands. 

Luffy met Luffy in Tokyo as well

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
On 6/18/2023 at 5:20 PM, Agent U said:

Tbh, I think that looks good, likely as good as live action adaption ever will. Still feel this will always work better as an anime though.

I personally thought the Cowboy Bebop live action was decent even if Vincent was a bit annoying and the end cameo was cringe/bad.

I don't know much about One-Piece but I can see the main actor becoming annoying very quickly judging from the trailer.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 10:23 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

I personally thought the Cowboy Bebop live action was decent even if Vincent was a bit annoying and the end cameo was cringe/bad.

I don't know much about One-Piece but I can see the main actor becoming annoying very quickly judging from the trailer.

I understand that.

There are some quirks to Luffy (as for most anime protagonists in fact) that are tolerable, if not endearing, because he's a cartoon, but will be insufferable with an actual person.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 12:20 PM, Agent U said:

Rurouni Kenshin was really good and faithful to the source. But if you mean just the ones that Hollywood has made, then the answer is no. 

• Like 1

That might change with this...new trailer and we get to see more of the action (including Sanji's kicking skills...Taz Skylar trained heavily in taekwondo for the role) and supporting characters. With Eiichiro Oda's full support and consulting on the series, this may break the "curse" LOL

Here's some videos of Taz Skylar training for the series...

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a still shot from the series - Zoro (Mackenyu) vs. Captain Morgan (WARRIOR's Langley Kirkwood)

• Like 2

On 7/25/2023 at 3:28 PM, AlbertV said:

That might change with this...new trailer and we get to see more of the action (including Sanji's kicking skills...Taz Skylar trained heavily in taekwondo for the role) and supporting characters. With Eiichiro Oda's full support and consulting on the series, this may break the "curse" LOL

Here's some videos of Taz Skylar training for the series...

Not going to lie, I felt literal chills watching this. It looks amazing! Everyone seems to look and act perfect. I knew them right off without them even having to say a word. Now that is some damn good casting! All the places and the world itself looks fantastic and the CGI surprisingly looks pretty damn good too! I cannot put into words how super excited I am for this show now. Cannot wait to finally see it!!!!

Man, I need to go read the manga again to get ready! 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 4:52 AM, DarthKato said:

Not going to lie, I felt literal chills watching this. It looks amazing! Everyone seems to look and act perfect. I knew them right off without them even having to say a word. Now that is some damn good casting! All the places and the world itself looks fantastic and the CGI surprisingly looks pretty damn good too! I cannot put into words how super excited I am for this show now. Cannot wait to finally see it!!!!

Man, I need to go read the manga again to get ready! 

This definitely looks as good as something like this ever will.

Just not sure about 'Sanji' actor, he looks much older than everyone else.

Edited by Agent U
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Agent U said:

This definitely looks as good as something like this ever will.

Just not sure about 'Sanji' actor, he looks much older than everyone else.

Eh, he looks about right in my opinion. I was always under the impression that he was slightly older than the rest (It has been a while since I read One Piece though). 

Wow....just read this....this is how involved Eiichiro Oda was involved in the series! Apparently, he told Netflix to reshoot some scenes because they weren't part of his vision. Could this series break the curse of American live action adaptations of manga/anime?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Anyone watched it yet?

I want to but something about it just annoys me. What it is I don't know.

Not yet. I'm waiting for it to get a physical release. But I'm super excited to check it out. 

• Like 1