Are their Asians who are die hard fans of Westerns?

Iron_Leopard

Since most of us on this site are Westerners who love martial arts cinema do you think there are Asians out East who love Cowboy/Western movies? 

We love martial arts movies cause the fighting, time period, costumes, and weapons intrigue us.

I wonder if there are Asians who feel the same way about Cowboy movies.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How else would something like The Good the Bad the Weird exist?

MV5BZTM3MmZkZGUtNWE2YS00OTBhLWIwN2MtYTYyNjkwNzkwZmM4L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,700,1000_AL_.jpg

TibetanWhiteCrane

Kwan Tak Hing was reportedly a big Western fan. I belive Sammo also has expressed appreciation which going by stuff like Millionaire's Express, OUATICAA and his giant belt buckles should be evident.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Let's look at all the Ennio Morricone music used in Easterns. Spaghetti westerns had a huge influence on the modern kung fu film. Anonymous Heroes (Duck You Sucker), Avenging Eagle (Death Rides A Horse), Along Comes A Tiger (Once Upon A Time In The West) all remakes. Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone were international box office.

Peckinpah was an huge influence on John Woo. And the delightful forest soundtrack is almost entirely a cover of once upon a time in the west. There are tons of examples like this.

15 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Kwan Tak Hing was reportedly a big Western fan.

I'm fairly sure this is a young KTH in the 1930s:

KTH 1.jpg KTH 2.jpg

12 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Avenging Eagle (Death Rides A Horse)

One Foot Crane might be even more like Death Rides A Horse.

11 hours ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

Peckinpah was an huge influence on John Woo.

Yeah, John Woo's action style from Heroes Shed No Tears onwards owns a lot to the end shoot out of The Wild Bunch.

17 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Since most of us on this site are Westerners who love martial arts cinema do you think there are Asians out East who love Cowboy/Western movies? 

We love martial arts movies cause the fighting, time period, costumes, and weapons intrigue us.

I wonder if there are Asians who feel the same way about Cowboy movies.

They say actor Kwan Tak-Hing was huge Western fan with a large collection of Western clothes/movie gear.

1 hour ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I'm fairly sure this is a young KTH in the 1930s:

That's him, I've seen other pictures of him posing in different outfits.

1 hour ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

One Foot Crane might be even more like Death Rides A Horse.

Yeah, John Woo's action style from Heroes Shed No Tears onwards owns a lot to the end shoot out of The Wild Bunch.

Not just The Wild Bunch, the all slow motion style in many Woo movies is directly inspired by Peckinpah, from Ride the High Country to Cross of IronAs for Death Rides a horse, the whole "tutorship" revenge concept has been used in many movies before and after, like some Sartanas, for a few dollars more or day of anger.

9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

They say actor Kwan Tak-Hing was huge Western fan with a large collection of Western clothes/movie gear.

That's him, I've seen other pictures of him posing in different outfits.

I also mean not just the Asian film industry but regular film fans as well.

Like are there Eastern Asians who post on Western forums to discuss their love for the genre? Like we do here.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I can't really speculate what regular people in other countries do with their time, but I'm sure there are some. Though in general I have found most Asian people I've come in concact with to be very non-nostalgic when it comes to cinema (Japanesee excluded) and for the most part very mainstream blockbuster oriented, though this is just my experience. 

• Administrator

A lot of my Asian friends and acquaintances are big fans of American and Italian westerns. I believe that Jackie Chan wrote in his autobiography about dressing up like a cowboy when he was a kid.

I think that people from other countries are often fascinated with things that are uniquely not of their own country. Like I find castles so interesting (Pennsylvania is not a big "castle state" ), people in Europe see the Great Plains, colorful canyons, and rocky mountains as something special, and they're drawn to the "cowboy culture".

The biggest western fan I know is my friend Butcher-B from Switzerland. He's never ridden a horse or held a real gun, but he has always loved the genre and spent a great deal of his childhood playing "Cowboys and Indians". I played Red Dead Redemption 2 on-line with him, and he was having a hell of a good time- as close to living his childhood dream as he'd ever come! 😄

As far as one genre influencing another,  Westerns can be influenced by easterns as well in that A Fistfull of Dollars was a remake of Yojimbo.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, CT KID said:

As far as one genre influencing another,  Westerns can be influenced by easterns as well in that A Fistfull of Dollars was a remake of Yojimbo.

True. And THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN was a western take on SEVEN SAMURAI of course. There are many examples. A lesser known one is that the film SHANE (1953) was the primary influence for the Shaw Brothers film THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN (1977).

I think Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi and Kihachi Okamoto all sighted John Ford westerns as an influence.

Archived