Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) - Michelle Yeoh, Jonathan Ke Quan, Jamie Lee Curtis

AlbertV

2 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

Is there no award for best action? If there is, why do Martial Club not have it.

Not that these awards really stand for much these days.

Golden Globes doesn't have Best Action.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Golden Globes doesn't have Best Action.

The only places you can get Best Action in Hollywood are the MTV Movie Awards (Best Fight Scene--usually a joke--and Best Action Sequence) and the World Stunt Awards (or whatever they're called).

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I’m crossing every finger and toe that Michelle gets the best actress Oscar. That would be an amazing accomplishment and a major step forward for Asian actresses and actors.

• Like 4

On 12/12/2022 at 2:58 PM, DrNgor said:

From Facebook: 

Congratulations to Everything Everywhere All At Once for their six 2023 #GoldenGlobes nominations! 🙌🙌🙌 https://maactioncinema.com/

🏆Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
🏆 Best Director - Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
🏆 Best Screenplay - Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
🏆 Best Actress - Michelle Yeoh 楊紫
🏆 Best Supporting Actor - #KeHuyQuan
🏆 Best Supporting Actress - Jamie Lee Curtis

It ended up winning:

Winner
Golden Globe
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Ke Huy Quan
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Michelle Yeoh

The Oscar noms have been announced. This film has gotten the following:

Academy Awards, USA 2023

Nominee
Oscar
Best Original Screenplay
Dan Kwan
Daniel Scheinert
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)
Son Lux
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)
Ryan Lott
David Byrne
Mitski
For song "This Is a Life"
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Dan Kwan (producer)
Daniel Scheinert (producer)
Jonathan Wang (producer)
Best Achievement in Directing
Dan Kwan
Daniel Scheinert
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Michelle Yeoh
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Stephanie Hsu
Jamie Lee Curtis
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Ke Huy Quan
Best Achievement in Costume Design
Shirley Kurata
Best Achievement in Film Editing
Paul Rogers
  • Like 3

• Administrator
On 1/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, DrNgor said:

It ended up winning:

Winner
Golden Globe
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Ke Huy Quan
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Michelle Yeoh

The Oscar noms have been announced. This film has gotten the following:

Academy Awards, USA 2023

Nominee
Oscar
Best Original Screenplay
Dan Kwan
Daniel Scheinert
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)
Son Lux
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)
Ryan Lott
David Byrne
Mitski
For song "This Is a Life"
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Dan Kwan (producer)
Daniel Scheinert (producer)
Jonathan Wang (producer)
Best Achievement in Directing
Dan Kwan
Daniel Scheinert
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Michelle Yeoh
Stephanie Hsu
Jamie Lee Curtis
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Ke Huy Quan
Best Achievement in Costume Design
Shirley Kurata
Best Achievement in Film Editing
Paul Rogers

I never got around to writing about this gem, but I saw it five times and I love it. It's exciting, funny, imaginative, and full of heart, and I'm thrilled that the Oscars and other awards shows are recognizing it as it deserves.

It's a lovely feeling to see our Michelle Yeoh (and Ke Huy Kwon), who I first saw (and was enchanted by) in OWL VS BUMBO and TWINKLE TWINKLE LUCKY STARS, up for Best Leading Actress at the Academy Awards. I'm sure I won't be the only member of this forum rooting for her and the other very deserving nominees for this exceptional movie.

Oh, and is this the first time multiple Asian people have been nominated in so many major categories? I think so, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 1/25/2023 at 12:01 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I never got around to writing about this gem, but I saw it five times and I love it. It's exciting, funny, imaginative, and full of heart, and I'm thrilled that the Oscars and other awards shows are recognizing it as it deserves.

It's a lovely feeling to see our Michelle Yeoh (and Ke Huy Kwon), who I first saw (and was enchanted by) in OWL VS BUMBO and TWINKLE TWINKLE LUCKY STARS, up for Best Leading Actress at the Academy Awards. I'm sure I won't be the only member of this forum rooting for her and the other very deserving nominees for this exceptional movie.

Oh, and is this the first time multiple Asian people have been nominated in so many major categories? I think so, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this movie doesn’t win best picture, that award most likely will go to All Quiet on the Western Front. The academy loves their war movies. But, since EEAAO is leading with 11 nominations it mostly likely will win best picture. Ke Quan is a lock for best supporting no doubt about that one. 

• Like 2

Glad they're getting the attention they deserve BUT I truly despise these award shows!

Seeing a room full of self-righteous slugs celebrating themselves with all the fake laughs and applause makes me sick! And I'm saying this in the most polite way possible but fuck 'em! Rant over.

• Like 3

As happy as I am that Michelle Yeoh won for this, I'm going to pretend she won for the motorbike stunt in Supercop because that's what really deserved an award.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Super Ninja

This is it guys, historical win!!! 

7?! In all the major categories?! Not in my wildest dreams.

I'm beyond happy for Michelle and for this spectacular indie gem! And for Ke Huy Quan! And for Martial Club, bravo guys!

It's insane that an indie movie dominated amidst all those blockbusters, what a triumph!

I'm going to celebrate this win with a few close friends.

Congratulations Michelle! 

Glory to indie cinema!

:heart

• Like 5

Darth Kermit

Amen, well deserved for everyone! Those speeches brought tears to my eyes! My favorite film of the year and one of my all time favorites. So happy it won as much as it did. If it had won all 11, it would have tied with Return of the King and Ben Hur, which would have been cool.

3 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

And for Martial Club, bravo guys!

Now we just need them to introduce an Oscar for Best Fight Choreography! And throw in Best Dance Choreo while you are at it or something, but man, start valuing more of the technical aspects Hollywood! Recognize the whole crew!

Edited by TheMuffinMan656
  • Like 5

OpiumKungFuCracker

Congrats to Eeaao for being the first martial arts movie to win best picture.  This is huge for the genre.  

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
3 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

This is it guys, historical win!!! 

7?! In all the major categories?! Not in my wildest dreams.

I'm beyond happy for Michelle and for this spectacular indie gem! And for Ke Huy Quan! And for Martial Club, bravo guys!

It's insane that an indie movie dominated amidst all those blockbusters, what a triumph!

I'm going to celebrate this win with a few close friends.

Congratulations Michelle! 

Glory to indie cinema!

:heart

More specifically glory to martial arts cinema.  Creating and making fights look artful onscreen is not easy. Finally the Academy took noticed. 

• Like 3

Super Ninja
2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Congrats to Eeaao for being the first martial arts movie to win best picture.  This is huge for the genre.  

Actually, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was the first. This might be one for the unpopular opinion thread, but well deserved imo. 

I hesitate to call EEAaO a MA movie, but we just might say it's the second one to win best picture. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Actually, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was the first. This might be one for the unpopular opinion thread, but well deserved imo. 

Actually, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon won best Foreign Film (plus Best Score, Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography) and some other awards, but Gladiator won Best Picture that year.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 4

I didnt like this movie as much as most, at least it would seem that way.

It had some cool action, but nothing outstanding or even close to the best I’ve seen.

The story did have some nice touching heart-string pulling moments, especially between Yeoh and her husband, but the frantic feeling of the movie was a bit off-putting to me at times, as well as the perverted sex “jokes” (dildos, butt-plugs, really?).

Overall, I liked it, just didn’t feel it was some cinematic masterpiece, and I’ll probably never watch it again.

• Like 2

I'd like to give a nice colossal F*** YOU (Cantonese: Hum Ka Chaan - 咸(冚) 家鏟) to the (presumably) White Liberal dipshits who referred to Michelle Yeoh as the "first actress who identifies as Asian to win the Best Actress Award". You ignorant dumbasses can go to hell.

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'NPR @NPR Follow #BREAKING: Michelle Yeoh wins the Oscar for best actress making history as the first person who identifies as Asian to win the award. npr.org Michelle Yeoh is the first person who identifies as Asian to win best actre... The Malaysian-born actor made history by winning the Academy Award for best actress in a leading role for her performanc in Everything...'

May be an image of text

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I'm all for pronouns and people identifying themselves as their preferred gender but this is the first I've heard of someone identifying as a race. Especially a race that, by definition, they are.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I skipped the Oscars for obvious reasons (as mentioned before). Only watched a "best of" if you will.

I don't know man?! I find these speeches, not that it's anything new, increasingly off-putting.

If I'm gonna hear another "This is for all the enter race enter gender out there..." I'll blow my fucking brains out!

Yeah we get it OK. Take your little award say thank you and fuck off. Seriously they are so full of themselves in Hollywood.

If you wanna impress me do some real good in this world! A speech in front of a crowd full of privileged pricks has no meaning to me whatsoever! RANT OVER.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm all for pronouns and people identifying themselves as their preferred gender but this is the first I've heard of someone identifying as a race. Especially a race that, by definition, they are.

Whats the difference?

It’s all delusional non-sense.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
10 minutes ago, paimeifist said:

Whats the difference?

It’s all delusional non-sense.

I'm not going to get into a "transgender debate" on here. Let's just say you think one way and I think another. We don't need this thread devolving into two people going back and forth over something that doesn't really pertain to the subject of said thread.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm not going to get into a "transgender debate" on here. Let's just say you think one way and I think another. We don't need this thread devolving into two people going back and forth over something that doesn't really pertain to the subject of said thread.

I agree.

• Like 2