Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) - Michelle Yeoh, Jonathan Ke Quan, Jamie Lee Curtis

AlbertV

A24 Films is re-teaming with the directors of the indie hit Swiss Army Man, Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert on a new sci-fi adventure comedy film called Everything Everywhere All At Once. Filming begins this week and the cast includes Michelle Yeoh, Jamie Lee Curtis, and in his first film appearance in 18 years, former Goonies stars Jonathan Ke Quan (his last film appearance was in the 2002 Hong Kong film Second Time Around with Ekin Cheng and Cecilia Cheung). Stephanie Hsu and James Hong are co-starring in the film, which is being produced by Joe and Anthony Russo under their AGBO banner. https://deadline.com/2020/01/a24-reunites-dan-kwan-daniel-scheinert-agbo-everything-everywhere-all-at-once-swiss-army-man-1202838566/

• Like 6

If that's the case, I hope I get to see Jonathan Ke Quan unleash some kicking again. Granted I know it's been almost a few decades but after working as Corey Yuen's assistant on X-Men and The One, I would love to see him unleash those skills again.

• Like 4

Coming out on March 25, 2022

Yeoh is Evelyn Wang, not just one Evelyn Wang but thousands scattered across the multiverse. With access to all the memories and skills of her multiversal counterparts, Evelyn is tasked with stopping "a great evil."

The nature of that evil is unclear, but what we do see are glimpses of Michelle Yeoh doing what Michelle Yeoh does best: elegantly kicking everyone's ass.
Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 1:27 PM, DrNgor said:

I'm very much looking forward to this one.

I thought the trailer looked pretty interesting as well 

• Like 2

The Alamo Drafthouse in LA held an advance screening on March 17th which I was very lucky to attend. Then it got a limited release in LA, NY and SF starting March 25th, then it'll get a wide release in the US on April 8th. When I saw it on the 25th, Jamie Lee Curtis was in-person to do an introduction, then on the 26th, Stephanie Hsu, Ke Huy Quan and producer Jonathan Wang did a post-screening Q&A (Corey Feldman was also in attendance). It was such an honor getting to meet Stephanie Hsu and Ke Huy Quan, especially since Ke Huy Quan played my favorite character from any of the Indiana Jones movies.

I'm gonna copy and paste my review that I posted on Letterboxd (I originally gave it a 4.5 out of 5, but moved it up to a 5 out of 5): https://letterboxd.com/kenhashibe/film/everything-everywhere-all-at-once/

The most exciting an IRS office has ever been.

Was originally gonna give this 4 out of 5 because it is exposition-heavy and honestly confusing in parts. But then again, fuck it. It's one of the most fun times I've had seeing a movie recently, and I cannot wait to see this again and bring different people each time so they can experience it too.

The story that the Daniels' have constructed is really something to behold. It is so complex and carefully-assembled and constantly-surprising. There are COUNTLESS visuals and gags in this movie that I would not dare spoil in this review that were shocking and hilarious. They have to be seen to be believed. And I can not imagine how difficult and time-consuming it must've been to plan, schedule, film, and edit this colossal work. Plus, there are so many satisfying setups and payoffs. Plus PLUS, it has a lot of heart and actually got me emotional a couple times.

Each actor gets so much time to show their versatility. Michelle Yeoh is a queen and is unsurprisingly amazing in this. Stephanie Hsu is also fantastic, and Ke Huy Quan absolutely stole the movie so many times for me. He is so lovable, and does such an amazing job switching from dorky to cool to sad to focused. His dramatic acting chops are extremely good; it makes me sad that he took a break from acting for so long, but I'm also so grateful that he's back. This is the perfect role for him. The fight scenes choreographed by Andy and Brian Le are also unbelievably good and so creative. The fights definitely pay homage to Jackie Chan with the use of props and comedy. They're all spectacular.

Damn, what a movie. One of the best high-concept, sci-fi films you could see.

I can't wait for this movie to deserve so many Oscar and not get a single nomination (I would love to be proven wrong). :laluot_10:

• Like 4

Apparently it is a martial arts/ comedy movie and its reviews and rating across movie websites are stupendously high, eclipsing or equalling those of “parasite” 2 years ago

• Like 2

yes. Not crazy in the martial arts department actually, maybe a decent (little) fight scene here or there, few. And very humorous in a rom com sense of humor type of way that didnt land for me at all. I highly disliked the experience of watching this movie. The humor didnt land for me at all. Although I kept thinking while dreadfully in my movie theater seat how I imagined myself looking upon the movie more positively after some time goes by. 

Cant recall being this annoyed by a movie in recent years. Although I applaud it for the jumping around and having a lot going on. Tackling the idea of sense of purpose, depression, etc. The movies worth it for that alone imo

• Like 5

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 4/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

Loved it, I can't see anything else coming out in 2022 that'll top this one. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-2022-review/

Welp, I was sold already since Data was in it and now this review sealed it for me. I don't even have to read it to know it will also be my favorite movie of 2022, Thanks @One Armed Boxer

• Like 4

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (2022)
Dir. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert

As representation improves and materialist analyses become more widely prevalent, it becomes tempting to regard art as a fractured mirror in which stories are created and sold to demographics according to particular concerns and viewpoints. "This story isn't for you" is a refrain more and more commonly heard in discussions of film and television. It can be tempting to forget that there's a layer of meaning that underwrites questions of race, sex, orientation, identity etc because it deals with what is foundational to just being a bipedal carbon based hairless monkey on this spinning rock.

In a movie about dimensional hopping kung fu, we're going to back to the most basic ideas we can.

Tennessee Williams once had a character tell us that plays were "truth, in the pleasant guise of illusion" and from the particular story of particular people we draw out some universal insight into our own human condition that we have missed being in the muck and shit of life 24/7/365. Just as you need a mirror to create the illusion of your face before you know whether you need a shave or not.

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE is about the webs of unhappiness we weave for ourselves, and that we project to the people we love most and our ability to find at least solace, if not some real happiness, if we walk away from them and keep in mind that everyone we encounter is fighting through the same muck. In order to make that palatable without giving the audience collective diabetes its aims are cleverly encased in a high concept science fiction metaphor that recalls the precision and cleverness of THE MATRIX.

It uses this central conceit with a great deal of visual and thematic acuity presenting striking imagery, wonderful sight gags, and a myriad of pop culture references (My personal favorite would have to be the alternate universe where our heroine's life is literally a Wong Kar-Wai film). The first hour and a half are breathlessly, perfectly, paced with exposition dumps and action sequences tagging in and out and bleeding into one another leading to a wonderful meta fake out and the final act.

Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan are OUTSTANDING, and what a wonderful turn for James Hong. I cannot say enough about this movie. Rejuvenating, life-affirming, clever, creative, and exciting. Go see it.

The difference between this film and SHANG CHI is the difference between someone who can read the notes and someone who can play the music.

• Like 7

Looks like Everything Everywhere All at Once opens in local theaters today, including the only remaining drive-in.  A24 Films will release it on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD sometime in June or July, according to sources below. 

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Everything-Everywhere-All-at-Once-4K-Blu-ray/315406/ 

https://videoeta.com/items/242278 

• Like 3

Super Ninja

Seeing it this Saturday! This playing in cinemas in my hometown is like a small miracle happening, I'm so excited I can't sit still, it's like I got a shot of adrenaline. I started forcing all my friends to go see it and support. 

First I'm gonna teach them who Michelle Yeoh is, then I'm gonna start feeding them Martial Club videos. They'll either block me or they'll be happy to go see the movie.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
6 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

First I'm gonna teach them who Michelle Yeoh is, then I'm gonna start feeding them Martial Club videos. They'll either block me or they'll be happy to go see the movie.

Awesome idea, just make sure they don't go in expecting a non-stop kung-fu movie, because the kung-fu element is only one part of the narrative.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Awesome idea, just make sure they don't go in expecting a non-stop kung-fu movie, because the kung-fu element is only one part of the narrative.

Gotta admit that was the foundation of my aggressive campaign for the movie, guess I should adjust my expectations as well. I'd say it's even better if the movie works as a whole, it's hard to believe but some actually care about the other elements and can't enjoy the movie on the strenght of its action alone. They have a long way to go. Considering you gave it 8.5/10, I should be safe believing people will thank me for dragging them see it.

• Like 4

Super Ninja

Since my last post here I've seen the movie twice, and have thanked the good people who made seeing this gem on the big screen possible.

First of all let me say this. Seeing the names of Andy and Brian Le on choreo duties and Martial Club guys credited on previs means the world to me. Those guys worked hard for this and they deserve their break. Congrats Martial Club!

So... is Daniels' sophomore feature effort truly deserving of its indie sensation status? You bet your ass it is. 

Everything Everywhere All at Once is art. Pure and honest. Intelligent and brilliant modern masterpiece that I wholeheartedly recommended to my friends saying: you have a chance to witness the birth of a cult classic. It changes AR whenever it wants, uses false endings, adds and removes the top and bottom margins as it wants, and in doing so displays filmmaking freedom that many have either forgotten or can't keep under control. It also proves you don't need to follow a formula to make a successful movie.

One that reminds of old Hollywood from way back when that name was a synonym for movie magic, yet at the same time has that recognizable indie feeling. It is a movie that will make you laugh, bring tears to your eyes and have the effect that not a lot of movies have, especially nowadays. Watching Swiss Army Man made me feel like Daniels wanted to say we shouldn't limit ourselves with rules and regulations, and used a farting corpse to remind us of that. With EEAaO, they're saying we should limit ourselves and are using people with hotdogs instead of hands (among other) to send their message. And it's a perfect message for the internet generation because we live in a time where really everything is available everywhere and often all at once. Find your path and try to make the best of it, try to be happy. If these two movies seem like they're each heading in its own opposite direction, their foundation is the same and it's love. The message is clear: this world need more kindness and more acceptance.

Michelle Yeoh and Jonathan Ke Quan are fantastic. It's obvious everyone included believed in this movie, and the energy that it unleashes on its audience is amazing. Everything works so well here. Script, acting, direction, action, it's a crazy mix that delivers and deserves its hype, and comes with a list of references, from 2001: A Space Odyssey and Aliens, to The Grandmaster and In the Mood for Love, along with the use of wong-motion. Of course, it owes a lot to The Matrix and somewhat less to... Raccaccounie. 

It's true there's not a lot of action here, reason being Daniels trying to say we should transcend fighting. What you do get though is great, and it's a wild mix of '80s HK style, Jackie's slapstick, pro wrestling, Bruce Lee references, tricking and luchador action, all with Andy Le's recognizable style. This being said, some of those elements are very briefly featured so adjust your expectations accordingly. The scene with Le brothers going up against Michelle is hilarious. 

If you know anything about movies, you will love this little wonder, so go see it and support. I personally can't wait for that Blu-ray release.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1