Bolo - Japanese Film & T.V Roles

DragonClaws

Bolo Yeung made apperances in popular Japanese shows Fight Dragon(1975) and the long running G-Men75 series. Which premiered in 1975, and ran until 1981. Along with a supporting role in Thai/Japanese co-production Soul of Chiba(1977). However, did he appear in any other Japanese related productions?.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

It's well known Bolo made apperances in popular Japanese shows Fight Dragon(1975) and the long running G-Men75. Which premiered in 1975 and ran until 1981. Along with a supporting role in Thai/Japanese co-production Soul of Chiba(1977). However, did he appear in any other Japanese related productions?.

At least the following are listed in JP Wikipedia:

Movies
- The Karate 2 (1974)
- Soul of Chiba (1976)
- Final Fight (1989)

TV
- Fight Dragon (1974) (ep. 1, 2)
- Code Number 108 Shichi Nin no Ribu (1975) (ep. 6)
- G-Men '75 (ep. 126, 175, 176, 201, 202, 227, 228, 267, 268, 292, 293, 294, 319, 320)
- G-Men '82 (1982) (ep. 10, 11, 14)

- https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ヤン・スエ

Here's a pretty cool ad for Code Number 108

cuazb4svyaarggz.jpg

18 hours ago, Takuma said:

At least the following are listed in JP Wikipedia:

Thank you very much @Takuma, you are a true authority on Japanese cinema. Could you direct me towards a decent Tadashi Yamashita filmography?.

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thank you very much @Takuma, you are a true authority on Japanese cinema. Could you direct me towards a decent Tadashi Yamashita filmography?.

Not much about him on Japanese sites, he doesn't even have a JP Wiki page. I think IMDb and other English sources will serve you better.

2 hours ago, Takuma said:

Not much about him on Japanese sites, he doesn't even have a JP Wiki page. I think IMDb and other English sources will serve you better.

I cant read any Asian languages, so any such site's are loss on me sadly. If I need any Japanese film information verifying, I know who to contact. I'm currently working on a few possible lead's, in terms of information about his Japanese screen work. Your contribution has helped me more than you can imagine.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:32 PM, DragonClaws said:

I cant read any Asian languages, so any such site's are loss on me sadly. If I need any Japanese film information verifying, I know who to contact. I'm currently working on a few possible lead's, in terms of information about his Japanese screen work. Your contribution has helped me more than you can imagine.

The Japanese film sites only list Karate 1-3 and Soul of Chiba for Yamashita.

Any TV work, if he ever did any in Japan, would not be in those databases of course.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, Takuma said:

The Japanese film sites only list Karate 1-3

A quick question, Bolo Yeung only appears in the first two movies in the Trilogy?.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

A quick question, Bolo Yeung only appears in the first two movies in the Trilogy?.

I think Bolo is only in The Karate 2.

11 hours ago, Takuma said:

I think Bolo is only in The Karate 2.

I know IMDB is not the greatest source for Asian Movies/Actor's. But they do have him listed among the credits for the first movie/. Just thought I'd run this by you first, becase I cant find any reviews or other sources to back this up. Unlike Karate 2, were you can find multple sources proving he was among the cast.

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I know IMDB is not the greatest source for Asian Movies/Actor's. But they do have him listed among the credits for the first movie/. Just thought I'd run this by you first, becase I cant find any reviews or other sources to back this up. Unlike Karate 2, were you can find multple sources proving he was among the cast.

He could be in it, perhaps in a tiny role, but I don't see his name listed in any Japanese film database entries. I think it's more likely that IMDb is mistaken.

On the other hand, he was in Fight! Dragon ep. 1&2, which aired in July 1974. The Karate was released just one month earlier. They were probably filmed around the same time, so he could have appeared in The Karate.

Not having seen the film, I cannot be sure.

2 hours ago, Takuma said:

On the other hand, he was in Fight! Dragon ep. 1&2, which aired in July 1974. The Karate was released just one month earlier. They were probably filmed around the same time, so he could have appeared in The Karate. 

Looks like there's a 50/50 chance he's in the first film, thanks again for the feedback @Takuma. If I get any further confirmation/proof, I'll post it here in this thread.

6 hours ago, Shosetsu said:

@DragonClaws  @Takuma

How about Gorilla-7?  It was a police series that ran during the mid-70s.  Sounds like Bolo could have been in it.  Just wondering.

I don't recall him being in that (not a very good series anyway, the least of the mid-70s Sonny Chiba shows)

On 2/5/2020 at 1:04 AM, DragonClaws said:

Looks like there's a 50/50 chance he's in the first film, thanks again for the feedback @Takuma. If I get any further confirmation/proof, I'll post it here in this thread.

I watched The Karate (Part 1) last night and no Bolo in it.

The film is absolutely batshit crazy. Yamashita, the unholy crossbreeding between Goofy and Charles Bronson, looks like Sister Street Fighter villain who landed a movie of his own. His accent alone is priceless, not to mention his ridiculous moustache. But as an on-screen martial artist, he's pretty great and the film is full of fun action! The whole movie is a ton (no, make that five tons) of fun.

The US and UK video versions, known as Bronson Lee, Champion, seem to be dubbed and heavily cut. The Japanese version is 86 min while Bronson Lee, Champion appears to be 79 or 81 min if online sources are to be trusted (BBFC confirms the UK video was 73 min, with 3 min of additional UK cuts and approx 3 min of PAL speedup, which would suggest the source was 79 min).

kara1.jpg

kara2.jpg

kara3.jpg

6 hours ago, Takuma said:

I watched The Karate (Part 1) last night and no Bolo in it.

Thank you for taking the time to confirm/clarify this mis-information @Takuma.

DragonClaws

Do any forum member's have the skills to translate this short interview, with Martial Artist and actor Yasuaki Kurata?. It incudes a brief clip of Mr Kurata's fight with Bolo Yeung. Taken from Japanese T.V series Fight Dragon(1975).

DragonClaws

Bolo Double Feature: Bloodfight + Ironheart | Blu-ray (MVD Rewind)

On August 11, 2020, MVD Rewind will release a Blu-ray Double Feature for 1989’s Bloodfight and 1992’s Ironheart, both starring martial arts cult legend Bolo Yeung (Soul of Chiba, The Big Boss 2, Enter the Dragon).

This news come via CityonFire.Com.

Source/Link- https://cityonfire.com/mvd-rewind-blu-ray-bloodfight-ironheart-bolo-yeung-iron-heart/

Archived