The tormentor 1973

ShawAngela

I finally got an official dvd release of this movie, German release with Mandarin language and German subtitles.

The running time was only 1h18mn and a few seconds, and it was obviously cut. For instance, in a scene where Shan Mao and a few others are fighting with Chang Yi in the mine by night, the image suddenly jumps to Shan Mao leaving the fight with no apparent reason.

Later, when Chang Yi is forcing the manager to pay the right salary to his co-workers, Shan Mao scolds him by saying that it's not because he is the favorite worker of the boss' daughter that the can do what he wants, (I don't remember if it's what I understood from the Mandarin language, or if it's what I understood with my poor German in the subtitles) but nothing in the previous scenes is related to a kind of romance between the girl and Chang Yi.

The German release has the cut scenes as extras, but even with them, it seems that there are still some missing scenes. For instance, when Chang Yi's sister, now a nun (nothing in the movie explains why she became a nun, even if we can easily guess from what Chang Yi explains to his lover) returns at home after her father's death, she asks to see her previous lover (Lung Fei) who is in a kind of jail, with handcuffs around his hands and his feet, and he seems totally mad, and suddenly, later, he is the big boss of the gang !!

The missing scenes show why Shan Mao leaves the fight that I mentioned above, and also show the romance between the boss' daughter and Chang Yi, which explains the scene between Shan Mao and Chang Yi when he asks for the right salary for his friends.

Also, I was unable to find if the beginning of the movie is related to the whole story that follows in the movie : is it that Chang Yi became a bounty hunter after leaving home, or before ?

Someone sent me a dvd-rip of the French language VHS, and I'll watch it soon, in order to see if it's also cut, or if some parts of the plot have more sense...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShawAngela

Ok, I managed to finally watched the VHS rip of this movie.

The running time is the same, with the same cuts, and even more since the scene between the nun and her previous husband isn't even shown !

But the French language gives more explanations about Lung Fei's fake madness and why eveyrbody is after the jade pendant. Regarding this latter, it's so strange that in the German language and in the French language as well, nobody was able to translate "Yü Pei" in ""jade pendant" and in both releases, everybody talks about "a yü pei that has disappeared" during the whole movie !!

Also, the beginning in the French language clearly shows that Chang Yi is a bounty hunter (I don't remember if the German release shows the picture of the wanted boss as it's shown in the French release. Why he becomes a mine worker after the credits isn't explained at all...

Also, in the French language release, during the credit, there is a Mandarin song talking about Chang Yi's courage to uphold justice, and I don't remember to have heard a song in the German release.

Archived